Racing helmets?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Racing helmets?

Always pushing harder!!!

Racing helmets?

What's your helmet of choice? Some days out there it feels like melting iron inside of my helmet...

Do you have a "quiver" of helmtes that you alternate from racing and training? I'm looking for a secong helmet...One that's a lot cooler on my dome. I have a Specialized and it saved my head from a nice crash last week, but it gets like 100 degrees in it.

What are your weapons of choice?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Specialized Sworks. Very comfortable, removable visor, protects head VERY well (unfortunately I have tested this one to an extreme that nobody ever should).

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    +1 on the Sworks helmet, they’re Comfy, light, and have great ventilation. I know a few others who have tested their protective aspect and all suffered some type of serious injury, but their noggins where unharmed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by stillhardtailing
    +1 on the Sworks helmet, they’re Comfy, light, and have great ventilation. I know a few others who have tested their protective aspect and all suffered some type of serious injury, but their noggins where unharmed.
    18mph into an immovable stationary object head first. no concussion, no loss of consciousness. i think that says volumes. though if it could have stopped the 6 C-spine fractures it would have been even better.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I have Giro Animas and Athlon's

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Uvex fp 3.0! Best helmet I've ever used

What could go wrong ...
    "18mph into an immovable stationary object head first"

its time to replace that helmet anyway ... if it did its job in that crash then it is not a good idea to use it anymore
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    When you get back on the road again are you planning on wearing a leatt brace? Hope your recovery is going well.

mtbr member
    Bell Sweep.

mtbr member
    Lazer Genesis. First season using it (upgraded from a 2003 Bell X-Ray that I liked a lot) and it's super comfy and quite cool. VERY easy to adjust and most of the time I don't notice it's there. Luckily I haven't seriously tested the 'crash proofness' of it but I have confidence that it will do it's job when needed.
    Team Bikeman.com
    Life is like riding a bicycle.
    To keep your balance, you must keep moving.
    -Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 7daysaweek
    Bell Sweep.
    +1 for the Bell Sweep.

Light, good fit, good ventilation.

Always pushing harder!!!
    I'm looking into Giro Ionos, Bell Volt, S-Works, Uvex FP3.0, Catlike Whisper and Rudy Project Sterling for my race helmet...

Protection is very important, but great air flow is a must...I'm getting killed by the heat at races...

mtbr member
    Still use Spesh Decibel but it's about to be replaced by S-works. Awesome ventilation.

SS XC Junkie
    Catlike Whisper Plus - meoooowwww ---- this is a very nice helmet with lots of air flow and can be worn on the trail or the road. It even got a visor mount if you wish to run a visor.

The downside is that you have to go outside of the US to acquire one and they aren't cheap though they are supposed to be available in the US sometime this summer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Love the Bell Sweep but really love the Volt. Very protective yet good ventilation. Visor on and off is a breeze with a secure connection.

In my experience you either fit Giro or Bell but not both - I can't wear Giros at all.

Fit is first, all else follows.

mtbr member
    another vote for specialized s-works.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoke2
    its time to replace that helmet anyway ... if it did its job in that crash then it is not a good idea to use it anymore
    Hahaha! yeah. it will be replaced when i can ride again.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Louis Garneau diamond, not a very common helmet and very well ventilated.

mtbr member
    Lazer. The dial head clamp system works perfect. Full grip all the way around your head, not just in the back like skull clamps. The dial is easily and quickly adjustable on the fly. Super comfortable. Good quality. Pads hold up to frequent use and rinsing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    s-works

After lugging around giro xens for a couple years I've realized how nice it is to have a light and well ventilated helmet. I still use the xen for trail riding and hairy stuff, but can't imagine going back for racing and long rides.

mtbr member
    Specialized Propero. Same exact design as the S-Works at half the price. Only difference is it is a bit heavier. This helmet is so much cooler than any helmet I've worn before. I was looking for something that I could wear with a visor and w/o (but didn't look absurd without). Relatively light. Cool. Found it.

Members who have read this thread: 0