racing helmet and shoes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

racing helmet and shoes

so i need new helmet and shoes and i just got into racing so weight is becoming more important over price or closeout deals on pricepoint. so whats everyone racing in? or whats the lightest out there and most recomended for xc racing?

i really like the fox flux helmet but it weighs 390 grams and the specialized helmet is weighing 225g...

AKA Dr.Nob
    I don't think there's much difference between all the top of the helmets and shoes.

Find what features you like, which brands have those features and buy the one that you like best.
    Not that all teenagers are evil mind, just most of them.

Your Best Friend
    The Fox Flux helmet is more about image. Skip it.

Formerly of Kent
    Get shoes that are comfortable.

For me, after riding a pair of SIDIs, I can't imagine riding anything else.

Helmet wise, I'd get something with a LOT of ventilation. The Fox doesn't look that good in that department. The vast majority of the heat your body sheds is through the top of your head, and your back, at least while riding. Big vents, and lots of them, particularly at the lower speeds of MTB racing, are a must.

aka bOb
    Helmets are very personal for fit, but I would make sure to try on a Trek helmet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I think my gear is light, but I have no idea. It's the most comfortable stuff I've found:

Specialized S-Works mtb shoes and S-Works helmet. I'm sure there is lighter stuff out there, and I know there is heavier stuff out there, but compared to what I was using last year (Giro Xen and Sidi Dominators) this stuff is COMFY

I have an 05 or 06 Specialized Decibel that I wear sometimes also (fit is a tad tight at times), and a Giro Atmos I use on the road. I like my visor for mtb.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The new Mavic shoes are really good.

Members who have read this thread: 0