"Re-breathing" with full face helmet- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

"Re-breathing" with full face helmet

Was riding a few weeks back on some trails that required some punchy climbing - switchbacks to get to the good stuff. Had on TLD full face and while I can't quantify it, felt like I wasn't getting the same oxygen intake as I normally do with open face and felt like I was inhaling a lot of what I was exhaling (CO2). Any feelings about oxygen intake with full face vs open? Negligible? Real? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Eat an onion, garlic and fish sandwich. Try the run again. Seriously, there is almost nothing blocking your nose and mouth that would prevent enough air intake loss to have a significant effect on breathing. Ever wear your full face in the mud? Is your face still muddy afterwards? Mud is a solid and still gets everywhere. I'm not a scientist, so I could be wrong...
    2016 GT Avalanche Comp
    2016 Raleigh Willard 1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymountain View Post
    Eat an onion, garlic and fish sandwich. Try the run again. Seriously, there is almost nothing blocking your nose and mouth that would prevent enough air intake loss to have a significant effect on breathing. Ever wear your full face in the mud? Is your face still muddy afterwards? Mud is a solid and still gets everywhere. I'm not a scientist, so I could be wrong...
    Understood but in this scenario you have a more concentrated level of CO2 around your nose and mouth. So you are in effect breathing a diluted mixture of O2. Not that the O2 can't penetrate the but that it is mixed with CO2. If you feel the effects of less O2 at around 6 thousand feet why wouldn't you if CO2 from exhaling is effectively diluting your O2 intake?

Elitest thrill junkie
    We are breathing into masks and still getting enough O2.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Nope, You're not gonna get hypercarbic or hypoxic in a full face helmet.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I'm not a scientist, but every time I've tried to climb with a FF helmet, I've had the exact same reaction. Feels like I'm not getting enough air.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    The full face padding is also presses against your cheeks. I use a Kali Avatar 2 and there is a decent amount of room between the chin bar and my mouth. There is enough room to get the hydration pack mouthpiece into my mouth to drink. It could be the padding pressing against your cheeks that's making you feel like you're working harder to breathe?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    The full face padding is also presses against your cheeks. I use a Kali Avatar 2 and there is a decent amount of room between the chin bar and my mouth. There is enough room to get the hydration pack mouthpiece into my mouth to drink. It could be the padding pressing against your cheeks that's making you feel like you're working harder to breathe?
    Interesting - with my TLD helmet I can barely fit a camelback hose up through the chin bar. I have to push the helmet up.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    I'm not a scientist, but every time I've tried to climb with a FF helmet, I've had the exact same reaction. Feels like I'm not getting enough air.
    Well of course, your face is one of the body's primary surface for heat dissipation. Cover your head (which is chock full of blood) with a helmet above freezing temps and your temp is going to skyrocket, you won't be able to cool off and subsequently, you'll feel like you can't get enough oxygen IME.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SDMTB'er View Post
    Interesting - with my TLD helmet I can barely fit a camelback hose up through the chin bar. I have to push the helmet up.
    Maybe if you're doing a slow long-ish climb on a warm day and the mouth section is real close to your face? I have enough room in my helmet to get the entire mouthpiece in without having to move my helmet.

If I had to climb something like that...I'd just strap the FF to my pack and use the half shell on the way up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    Maybe if you're doing a slow long-ish climb on a warm day and the mouth section is real close to your face? I have enough room in my helmet to get the entire mouthpiece in without having to move my helmet.

If I had to climb something like that...I'd just strap the FF to my pack and use the half shell on the way up.
    I think unless I am at the bike park I am gunna rock the Bell Super 2R. There is more ventilation and it feels less suffocating. Can remove chin bar also if needed.