quick question about shoes?- Mtbr.com

Mar 2009

quick question about shoes?

guys, i want to ride a 50/50 and was wondering what you all thought about these shoes? Has anyone ever riden in them?

These are the two i am looking at:

http://www.rei.com/product/765131

http://www.rei.com/product/778112

Thanks in Advance for your feedback! Oh if anyone has any other that you recomend please dont be shy to point in another direction.... THANKS!!!

SCmntbiker

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I don't like laces on a mtn shoe. Something to get cruddy, untied and caught in your chain at the most convenient moment for maximum facial plantage. When they're covered with caked on mud, good luck untying them. Especially when you have to pee your pants and have to take them off before running into the house.

FWIW I like to go cheap with the shoes so I replace them more often. Got an awesome deal on Specialized's website on some closeouts a few times. Like for example:

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqP...=30856&eid=342

Not a fan of teh big ess, but their shoes are pretty rockin'...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    The Pearl Izumis are better and cheaper.
    The ski buckle and velcro staps set up is the best for clamping in your foot.
    All velcro straps and no ski buckle isn't as good because the velcro eventually loses its sticky power. I would prefer laces to all velcro straps.
    Usually lace up shoes are cheaper, except in this case. The other day I tried on a pair of Shimano lace ups with a velcro strap and they felt really good and I think they were $90.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    i learned from my inline skate days that ski buckles just don't work for me... (laces on bottom and a buckle up top is where it's at)... buckles just don't put the tension though out the entire foot... I always got one spot that was to tight and another that was too loose

back in the 90's when i 1st did the clipless thing I went with diadora jalepenio2 shoes because it had laces for the main portion and velcro strap up top which tuckes the laces out of the way nicely...

a few months ago i bought some lightly used specilized S works shoes used from a friend who'd ordered the wrong size ($300 shoes that i got for $70)... they have the "boa" tension system which is basicly a cable shoe lace connected to a rotating rachet... it's about as perfect as i've found... quick to get on and off... and i can tighten or loosen em up while on the bike with out a problem.

all that being said... fit is more important then about anything else when it comes to shoes... uncomfortable shoes will be uncomfortable no matter how much they cost or how they close
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Members who have read this thread: 0