Questions for owners of the Camelbak Skyline 10 LR- Mtbr.com
    Caca pasa

Questions for owners of the Camelbak Skyline 10 LR

The lumbar compression straps- the instructions say to tighten them after you put the pack on. Mine hang down about 10" after I've cinched them up, and it seems weird to have them flapping around. I stuffed them into the little 'cave' where they come from, but it just seems dumb. Also, are you supposed to just leave them alone after you tighten them the first time? I tried to loosen them, and it's really awkward to get in there to do that. Did you just leave yours alone after you set them first time, or do they 'reset' at some point?

Skyline
    Last edited by Finch Platte; 05-22-2016 at 01:18 AM.
    "합니다 행사에서 디비 판매 합니다 관련해" Lesleybien

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

mtbr member
    I guess being the little guy I am at 6-3 260 , I don't have any straps flapping ...one of the few times something fit? LOL

***** lurker
    Are you referring to the actual waist strap or the yellow bladder compression straps? In either case, 10" of overhang is quite long.

If you're referring to the waist strap, there should be elastic 'keepers' for each side to tame any excess - at least mine came with 'em.

If referring to the yellow compression straps, just make sure that straps are behind the bladder when you reinsert it after refilling (should be behind the bladder, not in front or below it - the installation of the bladder alone should automatically pull the yellow straps back into the bag. If you're not aware, the compression straps help maintain water flow as the bladder empties - you pull on the yellow thumb-loops to cinch up & compress the bladder to increase the water flow - though I don't recall ever having to do this on any of my rides.

2017 Evil Following MB(primary trail bike)
    2017 Chiner 29er
    (XC-race hardtail)
    2017 Specialized Turbo Levo
    (party bike)
    2015 Motobecane Sturgis Bullet (fatbike)
    2012 Canfield Jedi (DH bike)
    2011 Raleigh Renevio (road bike)

Caca pasa
    Quote Originally Posted by cfanto View Post
    Are you referring to the actual waist strap or the yellow bladder compression straps? In either case, 10" of overhang is quite long.

If you're referring to the waist strap, there should be elastic 'keepers' for each side to tame any excess - at least mine came with 'em.

If referring to the yellow compression straps, just make sure that straps are behind the bladder when you reinsert it after refilling (should be behind the bladder, not in front or below it - the installation of the bladder alone should automatically pull the yellow straps back into the bag. If you're not aware, the compression straps help maintain water flow as the bladder empties - you pull on the yellow thumb-loops to cinch up & compress the bladder to increase the water flow - though I don't recall ever having to do this on any of my rides.
    My compression straps are blue- I guess it depends on the color of your pack.

If you watch C-back's video, he's riding with quite a bit exposed, you can see the straps dangling: CamelBak | Skyline 10 LR Low Rider MTB Pack for Men

I don't see how to get the straps uncompressed so I don't have so much hanging out.

mtbr member
    I have the volt, similar system. Loosen the compression straps completely. Wear the pack and adjust the belt to fit you. After that pull them lightly until you feel some resistance. Stop. Don't over do it.

The purpose of those straps is to put some pressure on the bladder so the water do not wobble. It is not a structural element in the pack. If you pull the compression straps too much you can compress the entire pack horizontally, nothing is stopping you from doing that.

As you are riding and drinking, less water in the pack requires readjustment. Again, very light pull. I actually don't do it when I use the pack, it makes little difference, I don't notice it, so I forget.

Caca pasa
    Quote Originally Posted by CrozCountry View Post
    I have the volt, similar system. Loosen the compression straps completely. Wear the pack and adjust the belt to fit you. After that pull them lightly until you feel some resistance. Stop. Don't over do it.

The purpose of those straps is to put some pressure on the bladder so the water do not wobble. It is not a structural element in the pack. If you pull the compression straps too much you can compress the entire pack horizontally, nothing is stopping you from doing that.

As you are riding and drinking, less water in the pack requires readjustment. Again, very light pull. I actually don't do it when I use the pack, it makes little difference, I don't notice it, so I forget.
    I think that's the whole crux of my question: how do you loosen the compression straps? The only way I can get them to move is tighter.

Cfanto says, "the installation of the bladder alone should automatically pull the yellow straps back into the bag." But it doesn't, the straps don't move. If I pull on them from the bladder area, there is no give.

mtbr member
    After looking and understanding what you are talking about , my strap runs back and fourth in that little channel . If it starts working its way out , I will band it with Velcro or rubber bands to keep it from flapping as that would drive me nuts

Caca pasa
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksheep5150 View Post
    After looking and understanding what you are talking about , my strap runs back and fourth in that little channel . If it starts working its way out , I will band it with Velcro or rubber bands to keep it from flapping as that would drive me nuts
    I read a couple of reviews on this pack, and one site said on the sample they got, the compression straps were non-functional. I wonder if I got one of those? This really shouldn't be that hard to figure out. :/

My strap also runs back & forth in that channel, but there is an adjuster buried in there, that is really hard to reach and adjust. Why is this so difficult?!?

mtbr member
    I assume its like mine, there is an adjustment buckle same as you have on the shoulder straps, but smaller. If you stick your finger inside you should be able to feel it, then push it to release.

Caca pasa
    I assume its like mine, there is an adjustment buckle same as you have on the shoulder straps, but smaller. If you stick your finger inside you should be able to feel it, then push it to release.
    I've tried this several times to no avail. What gets me is there is an instruction sheet included with the pack. Among the instructions are how to cinch up the compression straps, but nothing on how to loosen them.

It's too small, anyways, for all the stuff I like/need to carry. I'll probably just take it back to REI for a refund. I'm thinking that's why it was on sale, maybe it's first generation.

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Sometimes I stick mine back in its pocket, but most times I just tighten it and leave it hanging. It doesn't bother me and I don't really notice it when riding.

Caca pasa
    I tried this again, and was able to get the strap to retract/loosen back into its 'cave.' It still sticks out about 5-6", but it's a lot better than it was.

Weird setup.

mtbr member
    Guys (and gals?)-

Minus these straps, what's your take on the pack? I like the idea of the weight sitting low but don't know if it really works to be worth it.

mtbr member
    I like it , plenty of space for my needs . And yes i like it lower on my back , not going down hill feeling like something is above my head ..i have no complaints about it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksheep5150 View Post
    I like it , plenty of space for my needs . And yes i like it lower on my back , not going down hill feeling like something is above my head ..i have no complaints about it
    Cool. That's the problem with my Osprey. Any type of movement and the pack moves with me and often times that's up towards my head.

Caca pasa
    Quote Originally Posted by JNKER View Post
    Guys (and gals?)-

Minus these straps, what's your take on the pack? I like the idea of the weight sitting low but don't know if it really works to be worth it.
    It seems to work, having the water weight down lower. Constant adjusting is a minus, though.

Besides lack of room (for me), my issues are: it pulls my shirt up in back. I have to stop, undo the waist belt and pull my shirt down. I feel like Jean-Luc Picard.

Main zippers aren't very smooth.

Lined pocket for cell/glasses isn't very well protected. It hangs above the main compartment, so anything fragile in there will get banged around.

Tool pouch is way too small. And if you fill it up, it's not going to fit in its stretchy compartment.