Question regarding women's lycra- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Question regarding women's lycra

Just a quick question regarding fit of women's lycra and liners.

My wife wants to start riding with me on weekends so we purchased her some cycling shorts today. She noted that the waist of everything she tried came up very high. Comparing to my road shorts, liners for mountain shorts, etc, it's not the same.

Is this fit common with womens cycling clothing?

Thanks.
    :wq

Don't worry, be happy!
    they do make lower rise shorts, you have to look for them.

Slothful dirt hippie
    I seem to find 'low rise' mentioned everywhere, which is the bane of my existence between being very long hipped and having sunburnt my backside so badly that I have permanent scars... you might want to check out Team Estrogen's website for starters. I think some on here mentioned Shebeest as another outfit making shorter rise shorts.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    She should probably try on different brands. They do run high (for me) as well. Specialized BG shorts are probably some of the lowest I have, aside from Nike shorts that are from 2005. Pearl Izumi's usually run high waisted, but I still really like them.

Has she considered bibs? They are sort of "less annoying" in that regard

FWIW, I have a really long torso and they are still really high.

mtbr member
    men's shorts ride low and are comfy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jewels
    men's shorts ride low and are comfy.
    +1.
    1) Fyi, men's shorts run a little longer in length vs. most wms shorts (I like longer shorts cuz I roll up the gripper elastic).
    2) Yes, a high-end "male" anatomical chamois is every bit as comfy as a chamois cut for women, once you're on it.
    3) Order on line if she's concerned about folks finding out (but really, nobody cares~).
    Bionically Modified

Videographer/GRFX DZNR
    I agree on wearing the mens shorts, I didn't have a choice when I first started riding because none of the lbs carried anything but sm and xs women's bike clothes. Turns out that most of the mens shorts actually fit me better anyway because I have long legs and short waist for my 5'6" frame. Just find a some that fit ya...

Mar 2009
    I really like the rise on Shebeest shorts and the shorts are very comfortable. I think the shorts that I have were called Triple S but I'm not sure. The rise is no where near as high as it is on a pair of Pearl Izumi shorts that I have.

mtbr member
    Thanks, all. She's using a pair of womens shorts for now and we'll see how they work out. We're going riding on some local easy singletrack tomorrow morning
    :wq

Members who have read this thread: 0