Question about shoe sizing for MTB shoes- Mtbr.com
    KVN
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Question about shoe sizing for MTB shoes

Hey guys

I wear a sz 15 for basketball shoes and a 14 for causual. I recently bought a sz 50, which is a 14.5, in some shimano mids from nashbar a month ago. I finally got around testing them out. My question is, is it normal for the toebox to be tight? I have a normal width but these seem a little to tight. Will these be fine to keep or should I return them and try out some lake shoes since they make a sz 15

KVN

Mouth-Breather / Huffer
    KVN -

While most manufacturers of cycling shoes seem to commonly produce shoes that run on the narrow side, there are a few that have bigger toe boxes. Some riders have suggested that Lake and Specialized can run a little wider than typical cycling shoes. Sidi also produces 'Mega' versions of some of their shoes, including the much loved Sidi Dominator 5.

My personal experience only relates to the Sidi Dominator 5 (standard width, not Mega) and the Sette Epic. The Dom 5s were too narrow for my E width feet. I got a fantastic deal on the Dom 5s in my size (13/48) and I really wanted to them to work for me. They didn't and I was too cheap to fork over the additional $$$ to purchase the proper 'Mega' version.

I just purchased a pair of Sette Epic shoes from Price Point. I purchased shoes that were a 1/2 size bigger than I really needed, but they fit perfectly, right out of the box in terms of width. I believe the length of the shoe runs true to size.

mtbr member
    If the toe box is too tight when you are just standing that is not good because when you are standing on your pedals and rolling down the trail this discomfort will magnify significantly as your toes slam into the toe box.

Get the right size. For the investment that we make in cycling shoes I prefer to buy from my LSB so I get the right fit and don't settle for less just because of the hassle of return shipping.

Members who have read this thread: 0