Question about helmets(switchblade/MET parachute)- Mtbr.com

Feb 2005

Question about helmets(switchblade/MET parachute)

As ugly as my mug is, ive grown attatched to it(pun intended). Anyhow, ive heard that there were problems with the giro switchblade breaking and people getting huge gashes in the face from cracked plastic face guards. That sounds gross. So then i see there is this MET Parachute, which is kinda the same idea as the switchblade. Has anyone heard of horror stories with the MET? I know they dont sell them here in the US, but if someone can reassure me the met works and doesnt kill you face, ie a crash story or something. If anyone has any info, holla back at ya boi, cause if im gonna get one i have to get it shipped from ingaland and i dont want to waste my money on something that is gonna turn me into the elephant man. Oh, and i dont want a dh fullface helmet cause they are too hot for my lil cabesa. Other than that am open to any other suggestions, but mostly I am looking for reassurance.

hands up who wants to die
    I've never heard/seen the MET brand before.

I don't think you should be trusting the ad copy or reviews until you get some real rider experiences about crashing onto one's face with that helmet.

What kind of riding do you do? If you are really riding gnary enough stuff, just get a real DH helmet. Why tempt fate? You can buy both a good-enough XC helmet or DJ lid AND a DH helmet for $200.

Sometimes the "best of both worlds" approach doesn't really work. If you are riding at both ends of the MTB spectrum - DH vs. fast XC - then you might just need the proper tools for the job, be that tires, fork, frame or helmet. And when it comes to head trauma, I would rather hit a steep rockgarden on an XC bike with a DH helmet than on a DH bike with an XC helmet.

my $.04

-rob in NY

Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rpet
    I've never heard/seen the MET brand before.

I don't think you should be trusting the ad copy or reviews until you get some real rider experiences about crashing onto one's face with that helmet.

What kind of riding do you do? If you are really riding gnary enough stuff, just get a real DH helmet. Why tempt fate? You can buy both a good-enough XC helmet or DJ lid AND a DH helmet for $200.

Sometimes the "best of both worlds" approach doesn't really work. If you are riding at both ends of the MTB spectrum - DH vs. fast XC - then you might just need the proper tools for the job, be that tires, fork, frame or helmet. And when it comes to head trauma, I would rather hit a steep rockgarden on an XC bike with a DH helmet than on a DH bike with an XC helmet.

my $.04

-rob in NY
    I only do xc, and not that fast, i just dont want to get my teeth knocked out or a broken jaw. Anybody else? I know a couple people have the MET. Oh and whats a DJ lid?

hands up who wants to die
    Sorry for dragging this Off Topic...
    a DJ lid (skid lid) is the Dirt Jump/new school BMX/skateboard type helmet. It is hardshell, but not fullface. Definitely tougher than XC helmets, but hotter. Some of them offer multiple-impact protection, unlike XC helmets. I recommend the Pro-Tec Ace Dig.

Back to the MET: my bet is that a removeable jaw guard is a bad idea on a helmet that light. It's probably a placebo like the Switchblade was. Let's not mince words: the Switchblade was probably removed from the market because it was a hazard and basically not functioning as designed.

If your really really want to protect your face, get a DH helmet. It does sound like overkill for your riding, though.

-r