Question about gloves- Mtbr.com

May 2008

Question about gloves

Hey folks. I'm a newbie to all of this. Just started riding.

I've heard different answers to this, but do I need gloves? I ride about 90 minutes per night on relatively flat trails. I am waiting until I'm in better shape to tackle the hills. I have not yet experienced any kind of numbness in my hands/wrists, but I have been told it will happen if I don't wear gloves.

I know they would help for getting a grip, but is there any other reason to wear bike gloves?

Thanks.

surfer w/out waves
    I'd say very few riders need gloves... Then again, I'd also say that most riders want gloves...

I prefer a little layer of padding/grip/protection has made my rides more comfortable. I rarely ride w/out my Fox Dirtpaws... but wash your gloves otherwise they might get a little pungent.
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government!..." -- Dennis the Peasant

Hardtail Warrior
    I use gloves. I have some Pearl Izumis and they have a fleece outside that is made to wipe the sweat from your face. You have no idea how useful it is. They also have ulnar nerve protection which I find to really help make my rides more comfortable. Gloves are usually only about $30 and if you plan on doing any technical riding, they really help. Better grip means better control of the bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

it depends

if you are riding on rocky bumpy ground ya it would probably be nice to have gloves, but if the trails that you are riding on arnt that bumpy you probably don't need gloves . . .

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight Graham
    I know they would help for getting a grip, but is there any other reason to wear bike gloves?
    Gloves also provide crash protection for your hands. imo, this is their most important function.

mtbr member
    Full fingered gloves offer a lot of protection and you will see a lot of riders use them year round going to lighter more breathable gloves but still full fingered. I ride about half the time without gloves and from experience I can tell you gloves can save you from getting your fingers twisted going through brush or some nasty gouges and cuts when you fall. Down hill riders almost always wear gloves.

azn
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by lyndonchen
    Gloves also provide crash protection for your hands. imo, this is their most important function.

x2. thats why i wear them.

mtbr member
    i will not ride without gloves. if you wreck, chances are your going to put your hand out to break your fall. guess whats gonna happen! your hand is gonna get wrecked. not fun. even if your just riding on flat, easy trails i would still wear gloves. plus your hands get really sweaty (or at least mine do) if you ride without gloves.

mtbr member
    I previously rocked a set of mechanicswear gloves with the rubber knuckle guards, but now I'm using some mechanicswear gloves with no knuckle guards and a weird, almost felt-like palm. only reason I switched is because the old gloves were literally falling apart at the seams. I've got a set of Pearl Izumi gloves for when I ride/commute in the chilly, though
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky View Post
    My butthole would pucker and invert until I was inside-out before I got to the bottom.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    in addition to protecting your hands from road-rash or branches sticking out on the trail, gloves also help keep grease off your hands if you have to make roadside repairs (removing a broken chain, for example)

In colder weather, gloves will keep your hands from freezing

And last but not least, I once heard of a freak accident where this guy crashed and somehow got his finger severed by his front rotor.........he was not wearing any gloves.....

Rod
    mtbr member
    x3 this is the only reason I wear gloves. I crashed once from stupidity on a gravel road once and it tore my hands up bad. Afterwards I bought a pair of gloves.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    you will thank yourself for full fingered gloves after superman-ing over the handlebars... ask me how i know...

local trails rider
    x???
    Gloves for protection. Full finger. No padding in gloves for me, please.

Within the last couple of years, my gloved hands have hit pavement, sand, pine needles, pine trunks, raspberry bushes, nettles, snow, ice, .... About a half of those were just riding along on a path.

Most prefer to have the skin on their palms intact.

Dirt Deviant
    Once you crash without gloves, you will never ride without them again....even just to get groceries.

After slicing my right pinky finger like a spiral ham, and needing to reassemble it afterwards by pulling my knuckle skin over the tip of my finger and putting it back into place, ontop of the finger being broken as well, and about 3 months of healing, and 2 years for it not to be sensitive anymore, just drop the $ and get some full finger gloves.

They don't have to be the most expensive ones out there, any FF riding glove will do for now..........trust me.....you don't want a 15 stitch spiral ham finger like I had. To make matters worse, didn't have medical coverage, so I had to do all the repairs on myself. It ain't fun.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by savagemann
    Once you crash without gloves, you will never ride without them again....even just to get groceries.

After slicing my right pinky finger like a spiral ham, and needing to reassemble it afterwards by pulling my knuckle skin over the tip of my finger and putting it back into place, ontop of the finger being broken as well, and about 3 months of healing, and 2 years for it not to be sensitive anymore, just drop the $ and get some full finger gloves.

They don't have to be the most expensive ones out there, any FF riding glove will do for now..........trust me.....you don't want a 15 stitch spiral ham finger like I had. To make matters worse, didn't have medical coverage, so I had to do all the repairs on myself. It ain't fun.

jesus christ - I'm gonna buy some gloves!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    It gets incredibly hot and humid here in Texas and sweaty hands don't grip very well. After a nasty spill due to this problem I picked up a pair.

Live Free or Ride!
    The main reason I use gloves is to absorb the sweat, which makes you lose grip which is bad news. I have a pair of 661 Rajis that work great, and they come with a pad for snot!
    2007 Giant Anthem 1
    2009 Giant XTC 0

mtbr member
    I have a pair of mechanix gloves I wear. Will go with something cheap once those wear out (I had them for the SAE MiniBaja competition). Definitely don't want to get road rash on the hands.
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.

-Thomas Jefferson

mtbr member

To Glove or Not to Glove

Lot's of input here just like there are a lot of types of gloves. If crash protection is your focus, go with a glove that offers protection on the knuckles and fingers as well as palm padding. If you don't need that much look at something like the 661 Raji, my preference. They are lightweight with breathable back, grippy palm, fingertip grippers, and sweatband on the thumb. Keeps my hands dry while alloowing outstanding grip on the controls. Very durable as well. No padding so protection is at a minimum but this allows for a better feel.

My .02

surfer w/out waves
    I also glove up because I absolutely hate sand... Especially if it sticks to my skin... Grabbing rubber grips with sandy hands??? Like nails on a chalk board to me!!!
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government!..." -- Dennis the Peasant

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    There are lots of reasons to wear gloves but are they necessary…for some I guess but for most no. I wear mine as protective wear incase I eat some rock. I use my hands a lot at work and don’t want them covered in rash. Some gloves offer padding to absorb some of the discomforts of long rides. If you aren’t worried about the rash from a crash, and not bothered by the long miles of leaning on your hands then I wouldn’t worry about them for now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I bought some Bell fingerless gloves at Walmart for $3. Simply to see if I liked wearing gloves, and sure enough, it makes for a nicer ride. Give this a shot and see if it's for you. Better than being out $20-30 on nice gloves just to never wear them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I ride for better feel on my awful grips, better grip for my sweaty hands, hand protection, and they look super gnarly.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Use gloves. In my opionion, they're just as important as wearing a helmet. What's the first thing you do in a crash? You reach out with your hands, right? So there it is. Use at least 1/2 finger gloves.It's hot in the summertime,so try to find some mesh gloves with a nice strong palm area. You can try looking in some motorcycle shops too.

mtbr member

And gloves would have prevented all that??? They aren't bullet proof.
    2018 Transition Patrol

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Mechanix gloves are great. When it gets cold and harder riding weather, I will get some more weatherproof ones. But, for now these are awesome for grip and sweat removal
    '08 Fisher Marlin
    Heavy Rider mod

Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantMartin
    The main reason I use gloves is to absorb the sweat, which makes you lose grip which is bad news. I have a pair of 661 Rajis that work great, and they come with a pad for snot!
    That's a major reason for me(along with protection from crashes, it has saved me from some bad hand gouging a couple times). My palms sweat like crazy, even as I'm typing right now they are sweaty. During the winter it's nice to keep my hands away from the wind a little more.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    X4. Gloves haves saved A LOT of skin on my hands over the years. I was fooling around about 3 weeks around my house and wiped out. I was not wearing gloves. I am just now loosing the last of the scabs.

Dirt Huffer
    Once you start riding more aggressively you will find that gloves are a nessesity. Your hands are hopefully the first thing to hit the ground besides your feet. Dirt will tear the **** out of your skin.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by 1996cc
    And gloves would have prevented all that??? They aren't bullet proof.
    Of course they are not bullet proof.
    However, skin does not cope well with sudden contact with rough surfaces. Almost any glove will do better.

Dirt Deviant
    I'm sure I still would have had the broken finger, but can say with 99% certainty that I would not have had my spiral cut ham finger.....which would have been nice.

I have some AXO Ride full fingers that were on sale for $14, they are great but not for hot days.
    I also have some Fox Digit's and those are really sweet, but my favs are my Fox Sidewinders. Super sweet for hot days yet have good protection.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Glove+08.aspx
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/148...ger-Gloves.htm

I plan on trying some 661 Rajis too. They look nice and cool for hot days.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'm sure I still would have had the broken finger, but can say with 99% certainty that I would not have had my spiral cut ham finger.....which would have been nice.

I have some AXO Ride full fingers that were on sale for $14, they are great but not for hot days.
    I also have some Fox Digit's and those are really sweet, but my favs are my Fox Sidewinders. Super sweet for hot days yet have good protection.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/148...ger-Gloves.htm

I plan on trying some 661 Rajis too. They look nice and cool for hot days.
    Thanks for the tip about the AXOs at Price Point. I have real big paws,so the 3XLs might be something I have been looking for for a long time. Just to try to help out someone low on funds,check with bikeworldusa.com . They have closeouts on gloves & other stuff (the selection changes every Friday). I saw some Bell open air 1/2 finger gloves there for 99 cents a pair (L,XL) and the small mediums were 50 cents a pair. I know they're not that good, but they're definitely better than nothing.---zarr Just check their stuff selection & wait until every Friday when the closeout area changes.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr
    . Just to try to help out someone low on funds,check with bikeworldusa.com . They have closeouts on gloves & other stuff (the selection changes every Friday). I saw some Bell open air 1/2 finger gloves there for 99 cents a pair (L,XL) and the small mediums were 50 cents a pair. I know they're not that good, but they're definitely better than nothing.---zarr
    Yes, way better than nothing. As far as importance for protection goes, 90% is IF you are wearing gloves, 10% has to do with WHAT they are. Anything that won't easily rip will do you a world of good, at least for one good fall.

Dirt Deviant
    Zarr, the 2xl is what I run and they fit well. I have huge hands as well.........I usually wear a 12 in gloves.....equal to fox XXL. I do like my gloves to fit snug. The AXO's fit perfect out of the box, and after wearing a few times they loosen up a tad. Something to keep in mind.

May 2008

Id use em

I say it's cheap insurance against a world of additional pain (in addition to all other major pains after a hard crash)

Members who have read this thread: 0