Quality of Sette shoes?- Mtbr.com

Jun 2008

Quality of Sette shoes?

Do any of you have any input in terms of the quality of Sette clipless shoes? I've found some Settes for a good price online and would like to know if they are good riding shoes.

Thanks to all who take the time to respond!

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007

Mine have been great

Mine have been great. I'd have to dig around to find out what model they are, but they have both velcro straps and shoe strings. The sole is Vibram like and grips well off the bike when you need traction. I am getting holes in the bottoms after 2 - 21/2 years of very regular riding so its time for a new pair. I'm thinking either Lake (I like their Virbram soles) ,or another pair of Settes would be OK too.

mtbr member
    I've ridden my sette elements($50 on pricepoint) for a year now. I ride almost every day in the summer. They show few signs of wear and as far as performance goes I've got no complaints. My advice is to buy them. I like them better than my last shoes which were $110 pearlizumis

Jun 2008
    ^Thanks for taking time to respond!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Sette Epic MTB shoes

I've ridden a pair for about a year now and found them to be hot during the Florida summer/fall.
    I don't think they are vented well as they absorb sweat and become water logged.
    I also broke off a "lug" from the sole in the heel area.
    If you get the ones with the ratcheting buckle be sure and remove the buckle screws and loctite them because they will come loose.(I used nail polish)
    For me the size runs big also, but lots of room for wide feet.
    With all that, I would probably buy them again.
    I probably should write a review on them but haven't...wait, wait, I just did!

Tilos
    Last edited by Tilos; 01-04-2009 at 01:09 PM.

~Disc~Golf~
    I have the sette elements - so far they've been great. They felt narrow at first ( I have wide feet) but they broke in very quickly.I got the size 45 (US 11) and I normally wear a 10 1/2 in vans or most other shoes (some times 11 FWIW)
    ...As a matter of fact I have been quite pleased with any of the sette products I have gotten.
    Honestly... ahh I give up

WTF
    I had some sette elements for a year and a half until i lost them I got some sidi's as a replacement. They run a little big in size, but they are still and comfortable. I recommend them, but they are a little on the heavy side, but at $50 they are an amazing value.
    Dont wait, procrastinate now!

mtbr member
    I've got the elements and have over 2 years and 1,600 miles on them. They'll still be on my feet this spring!

knock-knock...
    ive got the elements, they have treated me quite well. they do run a titch big, but it is not a problem for me, just extra room for big socks!

id say get 'em, they are pretty sweet. ive got sette lock on grips, the shoes and a hydro pak and have been impressed by all of them. i think the string puller on one of the zippers on the hydro pack broke, but thats the only problem ive had. mmm duct tape
    i smell a rat-Patrick Henry

Jun 2008
    Thanks to all for the info!

I ordered a pair of Epics today off of PricePoint - can't beat 50% off regular price. I am really excited to finally try clipless.

mtbr member
    Nice my buddy has them and he loves them

Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Destin
    Nice my buddy has them and he loves them
    I hope I love them too!

mtbr member
    I wore a pair of Sette Elements for about a year and a half until I stripped a cleat bolt and decided to upgrade to some Sidi's. The Elements were very stiff, comfortable, and durable. For the price, they are a great performer. I think you'll be happy with them

Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JSumner13
    I wore a pair of Sette Elements for about a year and a half until I stripped a cleat bolt and decided to upgrade to some Sidi's. The Elements were very stiff, comfortable, and durable. For the price, they are a great performer. I think you'll be happy with them
    I am far from a world-class rider, so I am pretty confident they are going to be more than adequate for my needs.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo55Diesel
    I am far from a world-class rider, so I am pretty confident they are going to be more than adequate for my needs.
    cool, let us know how it goes...hopefully it's humorous / embarrassing - like doing the 'horizontal track-stand' in front of a bunch of hotties on a packed college campus

Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    cool, let us know how it goes...hopefully it's humorous / embarrassing - like doing the 'horizontal track-stand' in front of a bunch of hotties on a packed college campus
    I am in my last semester of grad school for my Master's, so it is very possible that I may fulfill your request.

For some reason I am having visions of not being able to unclip at an intersection and, in a flurry of grunting and fruitless leg yanking, crashing over to one side.

WTF
    I am in my last semester of grad school for my Master's, so it is very possible that I may fulfill your request.

For some reason I am having visions of not being able to unclip at an intersection and, in a flurry of grunting and fruitless leg yanking, crashing over to one side.

This is good for picking up a date if you fall and act hurt. Also works by locking up the front brakes, and tuck and roll.
    Dont wait, procrastinate now!

knock-knock...

exactly what happened to me on my first clipped in ride on the way to the trails. i had the trackstand going through the entire light, and in the transfer from that to going, i got off balance, went right over on my side, maybe 15-20 cars were there. i high-tailed it outta there needless to say. i also had a habit the first few rides of getting my front tire over a log, catching/not getting my back tire over and going right over. good times
    i smell a rat-Patrick Henry

Jun 2008
    I'm confident I will cover all the classics and may even come up with some new and interesting ways in which to fall off a bike and look like an ass.
    Last edited by Bo55Diesel; 01-05-2009 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Spelling correction

~Disc~Golf~
    I haven't actually seen one, but they gotta look hilarious. It's so slow motion.
    One of my lamest ones (apparently one of the funniest) happened 1/2 hour after I got mine on the bike. I was rollin' around the 'hood, practicing clippin' in and out - every thing was goin' fine.I rolled up to my house on the lawn where my next door neighbors were waitin 'with a beer. I easily unclipped my dominant resting foot (left) and stopped without fanfare. One of my neighbors hands me a beer (he's to my right).
    After I grabbed it, I kinda wiggled a little and S L O W L Y lost my balance to the right. - My right foot was still clipped in.
    I hopped and hopped and hopped and hopped as my brain went " oh sh!t oh sh!t oh sh!t oh sh!t oh sh!t " . I had what must of looked a mini-seizure as the ground came up to meet me.
    I landed with an 'ummmpf' and was quickly coated from the mist from my other neighbors beer spit-take. They laughed (as I did too) for a good 5-10 minutes.
    I DID NOT however , spill a single drop of mah birr!!

Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    I haven't actually seen one, but they gotta look hilarious. It's so slow motion.
    One of my lamest ones (apparently one of the funniest) happened 1/2 hour after I got mine on the bike. I was rollin' around the 'hood, practicing clippin' in and out - every thing was goin' fine.I rolled up to my house on the lawn where my next door neighbors were waitin 'with a beer. I easily unclipped my dominant resting foot (left) and stopped without fanfare. One of my neighbors hands me a beer (he's to my right).
    After I grabbed it, I kinda wiggled a little and S L O W L Y lost my balance to the right. - My right foot was still clipped in.
    I hopped and hopped and hopped and hopped as my brain went " oh sh!t oh sh!t oh sh!t oh sh!t oh sh!t " . I had what must of looked a mini-seizure as the ground came up to meet me.
    I landed with an 'ummmpf' and was quickly coated from the mist from my other neighbors beer spit-take. They laughed (as I did too) for a good 5-10 minutes.
    I DID NOT however , spill a single drop of mah birr!!
    I can only hope to be so lucky!

Jun 2008
    They shipped out today, so I should be able to use them and fall on my ass sometime this week.

~Disc~Golf~
    They shipped out today, so I should be able to use them and fall on my ass sometime this week.
    yeah...pricepoint is fast i think my last order was done in just under 48 hrs. from payment to my door

Dec 2008
    i have the elements too!!! i love them they are great

Jun 2008
    They should be here on Friday, according to the UPS website. I am going to go out and gather some beer today for the post-crash drinking.

Jun 2008

They have arrived!

Ah, my babies have arrived in the mail. Thanks to all of you who provided feedback about them running big; I wear a US 12 (46) and ordered a 45. They fit dead-nuts perfect!

I am going to head out first thing tomorrow and try them out. I will post up my "I busted my ass" story as soon as I get home from the inaugural ride.

BONUS: There were stickers from Sette and PricePoint in the box. For some reason I love stickers and was pleased to see them in the box. They will be applied to the beer fridge this evening.

trail addict
    Do any of you have any input in terms of the quality of Sette clipless shoes? I've found some Settes for a good price online and would like to know if they are good riding shoes.

Thanks to all who take the time to respond!
    For the price and quality, I hope Sette always has the enduro shoes available.

A friend and I both bought different Specialized shoes, another friend bought Sette Enduros. I figured I'd give it a season and see how we all made out.

For the price, the Specialized shoes started showing signs of wear way too soon. The Enduros were holding up nicely, so I decided to buy a pair.

After a year with the Settes, I can say they are comfortable to walk in and drive in and they seem to be holding up way better than the Specialized shoes.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

Jun 2008
    I went for a cruise around the neighborhood to get used to the new shoes and pedals. This was my first ride with clipless pedals (Time Alium). I had a good ride and did not fall down at all. This is not to say I won't fall down next time, but this particular ride went well.

I actually had more trouble getting clipped in than out; clipping out was pretty easy. I practiced clipping out with each foot at many different points in the rotation and did not have any issues at all.

The shoes are really comfy and stiff. They transfer power much better than the Nike Shox NZs I usually ride in. They were especially helpful on climbs (a previous poster said this would be the case - spot on!). I will need to work on my cadence a bit as there were times when I concentrated more on pulling up and there was a bit of slop in the middle of the rotation. All in all, a successful first ride.

What's "social pace?"
    May 2008
    I have owned two pair of Sette Epics. First of all, they run large and stretch a bit so order a size down. Breathability is satisfactory, as is the sole stiffness. They fit a little bit like Sidi or Specialized. The first pair I had got a few sole lugs torn off the heel after several hundred miles. The ratchet strap also tore opposite the ratchet. PP replaced them and the new pair has been problem free. Pretty happy so far, just waiting to see how long these last.

Jun 2007
    I have SETTE shoes as well as other products (hydro pak, gloves, elbow/knee armor. Love them all, great price for the product.

I dream on two wheels
    I've had my mine for damn near 7 years and have used them on every ride I do...which is almost every day in the summer and some winter riding too. The bottoms are so worn out and smooth that I can barley walk up hill with them, and if there is snow on the ground, forget about it. I can't believe the velcro is still holding. I really need a new pair but since I don't usually walk around with them, and they still work just fine when Im on the bike I haven't gotten around to buying a new pair.

-Simon

Jun 2008
    I've been out on several rides in them and they are great! I am very pleased with my purchase and look forward to years of good times with them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I got the Enduros, partly because I tour/commute with clipless and they allow me to bring only one pair of shoes. They are great shoes, comfortable for walking and biking, durable, and the cleats don't click on the ground everywhere I walk. They look discrete too, which is a bonus for bike shoes.

The only downside is they soak water up like a sponge, it doesn't really bother me that much, but they weigh so much I could probably kick a soccer ball into outer space with them. If you're riding through streams a lot, some sort of shoe cover wouldn't be a bad investment.

Jun 2008
    ^ No streams for me. I ride strictly urban.

Members who have read this thread: 0