Quad XP-E Helmet - beamshots added- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Quad XP-E Helmet - beamshots added

This is my quad XP-E R2 helmet light, it uses the quad Khatod 25mm lens and i'm running it off a maxflex driver and 7.4v li-ion pack.

The lamp unit only weights 100g so not a lot of weight on the helmet.

I only run it up at 500ma to get a better run time out of the twin cell pack but it will run at 700ma but to be honest there really isn't much difference in light out put.

The switch is a small momentary ip67 rated one in glue lined heat shrink tube at the back of the light the little orange bit is the top of the switch.

It produces about 650lm I'll get some beam shots posted tomorrow.
    Last edited by allport; 09-24-2009 at 01:19 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Looks good!

she keep you buying rats
    Wow... that's pretty!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Nice job, small light and polished to a great finish. That is seriously shiny. How long does it run indoors on 700ma before the maxflex dims it. I have been contemplating the same optic for a tiny helmet mount builds but I am worried there too small for the heat.

Pty
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Wow

Hey Nice unit you have there, I have to say that i have been lurking on these boards for awhile and that light in my opinion looks to have the best surface finish yet.
    Any chance you are thinking of producing the housings for sale?
    Did you turn the housing your self, was it a manual or CNC lathe? reminds me of a ray gun with the fins at the back good work!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Shiny. I like it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    It will run for a few minutes indoors at 700ma with the thermal trip set at 50C.

I turned it manually but i am thinking about selling the unit including a battery and charger so would get them CNC'd, but i want to tweek the design so it's easer to connect up inside. It won't be getting any bigger though.

Thank you it took about 5 minutes on the polishing wheel to get the finish.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Here are the beam shots

500ma LOW

500ma HIGH

700ma HIGH

and just for fun 1000ma HIGH

The difference between the 500ma high and 700ma high isn't as big as it looks in the photo's but the photo's were taken using the settings posted at the top of the forum.

A waste of time it is is
    allport,
    that looks great, really nice finish and very pro looking.

Can you provide a link to the switch please?

I was thinking of using those lenses in those cheap torch bodies I found, can you tell me what version you are using? any chance of getting distances of objects in the beam shots pic?

Thanks heaps and again, nice work

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by emu26
    allport,
    that looks great, really nice finish and very pro looking.

Can you provide a link to the switch please?

I was thinking of using those lenses in those cheap torch bodies I found, can you tell me what version you are using? any chance of getting distances of objects in the beam shots pic?

Thanks heaps and again, nice work
    Thank you.

link for the switch http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/s...duct&R=0516154

I'm using the 10 lens.

The third fence post on the right is about 40m away so you do get quite a good throw.

Sep 2008
    Why can you see the tree in the far background better at 500 than you can at 700 or 1000?
    Something to do with the camera?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr AB
    Why can you see the tree in the far background better at 500 than you can at 700 or 1000?
    Something to do with the camera?
    The light was pitched up a little more in that shot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by allport
    The light was pitched up a little more in that shot.
    Personally I'd like to see it pitched up a little more. Your build looks very similar to the HIDtech's Lumen8R quad R-2, although yours is a little longer I think. Same design ( basically ) with the fins in the rear. Your's looks very nice for a DIY. The optics you are using look to provide a good deal of spill for 10 degree. The Lm8r quad has a more confined beam. Not sure what optics they use, I thought they were 10 degree but might be 8 or 6. Anyway, @ 1000ma the Lm8r easily throws into the 65 meter range. How about another beam shot aimed a little more up the road. Oh, nice touch with the switch in the wire...

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do
    Personally I'd like to see it pitched up a little more. Your build looks very similar to the HIDtech's Lumen8R quad R-2, although yours is a little longer I think. Same design ( basically ) with the fins in the rear. Your's looks very nice for a DIY. The optics you are using look to provide a good deal of spill for 10 degree. The Lm8r quad has a more confined beam. Not sure what optics they use, I thought they were 10 degree but might be 8 or 6. Anyway, @ 1000ma the Lm8r easily throws into the 65 meter range. How about another beam shot aimed a little more up the road. Oh, nice touch with the switch in the wire...
    The Lumen8R is bigger than mine as they use XRE's and the smallest quad XRE lens is 35mm dia. where as my lens is 25mm dia. and the od on the light is 35mm and it's 55mm long. Yeah the Lumen8R will have a better throw as XPE's are only rated to 700ma.
    Thanks I'm working on making it look more like a production light.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by allport
    The Lumen8R is bigger than mine as they use XRE's and the smallest quad XRE lens is 35mm dia. where as my lens is 25mm dia. and the od on the light is 35mm and it's 55mm long. Yeah the Lumen8R will have a better throw as XPE's are only rated to 700ma.
    Thanks I'm working on making it look more like a production light.
    Oh...( my bad )...Yeah, the LM8R is 40mm OD and about 55mm long. Do you plan on retro-fitting with the XP-G ( when available and if they fit ) ? I've never seen the beam pattern from a quad xP-e before so this gives me food for thought as I was hoping that HIDtech would offer a quad XP-G up grade to their Lumen8R. For me though, I really want a more confined beam pattern so I get as much throw as possible. It has been said that the the XP-G will work with XR-E optics so maybe that will make a difference ( who knows ) I can't wait to see beam patterns when the XP-G comes out. I like your setup though as I think it would be right nice as a bar mounted setup...lots of spill and a small footprint.. ( You plan on selling these ? )

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do
    Oh...( my bad )...Yeah, the LM8R is 40mm OD and about 55mm long. Do you plan on retro-fitting with the XP-G ( when available and if they fit ) ? I've never seen the beam pattern from a quad xP-e before so this gives me food for thought as I was hoping that HIDtech would offer a quad XP-G up grade to their Lumen8R. For me though, I really want a more confined beam pattern so I get as much throw as possible. It has been said that the the XP-G will work with XR-E optics so maybe that will make a difference ( who knows ) I can't wait to see beam patterns when the XP-G comes out. I like your setup though as I think it would be right nice as a bar mounted setup...lots of spill and a small footprint.. ( You plan on selling these ? )
    I'm not sure the XPG will work with the XRE optics not a lens anyway. Yes i will be retro-fitting the XPG into mine to see how it run's but don't think there is sufficient thermal capacity in the current design to run them up to 1000ma so i'm working on a slight modification. Yes i will be selling them just got to sort out the pricing and get some in stock.

mtbr member
    Great build, definitely that cool ray gun look.
    Any chance we could see how that mount fits on the helmet, and a shot with the light on the helmet for scale?
    Wrecker of fine things

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 02Slayer
    Great build, definitely that cool ray gun look.
    Any chance we could see how that mount fits on the helmet, and a shot with the light on the helmet for scale?
    Thank you, yes ok i'll take some photos tonight and post them up tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Thanks. Hey - what's the difference electronically between 500mA LOW and 500 mA HIGH?
    Wrecker of fine things

Members who have read this thread: 0