Put Yourself in My Bike Shoes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

New question here. Put Yourself in My Bike Shoes

You're looking to get into XC racing - mostly trying your luck/skill in some Xterra Tri races. You live in Denver and enjoy starting at the bottom, having a kick butt workout to the top and then enjoying the benefits of flying back down. You ride in Morrison, the front range and get up to Summit County regularly.

You've just sold your beloved Yeti 575 because it was kind of a boat at 32lbs and wasn't too snappy when trying to race friends. You're 5'10", 155 and extremely good looking (what, that doesn't matter in this thread?) with an inflated vision of your attractiveness.

You have a budget of $2000 since that's what you just sold your Yeti for. You can probably put another $1500 into a bike (total budget of $3500) if you avoid price discussions with your wife. You are willing to buy new or used.

You find yourself searching the mtbr.com forums and feel that a somewhat entertaining post might allow someone at work a quick distraction from the day and appreciate any thoughts - and if used is the way, any craigslist links that seem promising.

You thank the group for their time.

Giant Anthem

giant anthem

Go for a giant anthem-reasonably priced, efficient suspension and very fast.

I just built my 08 anthem up (24.5 #)

brand new everything for $2000 Mostly ebay. Wheels= bicycle wheel warehouse

sram XO RD
    XT brakes/crank
    XTR hubs
    XTR rotors
    DT Swiss 4.2 rims
    Stans crow tires tubeless
    FOX RL 80mm
    FOX rp2 rear shock
    Attached Images Attached Images

Livin' the Dream
    Give the ASR a test ride. You've already seen the light with the 575. The ASR is the more efficient little brother to the 575 who also went on a diet. The Enduro package is $3440.
    DO RIGHT AND FEAR NO MAN

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Morning All,
    Thanks for the advice so far. If I buy new, I will probably buy a full built bike from my LBS for their services that come along with a purchase. I also took a used 2005 Epic S-Works for a spin the other day that cost me $100 but goes to the purchase of any bike I would potentially buy there. I could probably get them to let me apply that to gear so I don't feel stuck buying a new bike from them but it's an option.

Sidenote - I really liked the S-Works I rode but didn't think a heavily used 2005 S-Works was worth dumping $2000 in to and I definately can't justify the cost of a new S-Works with my current skill level.

So, the Specialized Epic Comp comes in at $3K, the Expert at $3500. The Yeti ASR Enduro is at $3500 as well. Yeti or Epic Expert? Where do I get more for my money? Either way, I will demo another bike to make sure it's a good fit. I'll call the shop as well to see how heavy the Yeti is (unless someone here knows). I know the Epic Expert is 24.8 lbs.

Any other major condenders I'm missing out on for what I'm looking for at my price point? It does seem my LBS (Wheatridge Cyclery) carries many more Specialized mountain bikes than any other brand with Yeti up there as well.

One more thing - I know the Epic has gone through major changes from 08-09 and have read everyone says it has been a noticeable improvement. Has the ASR changed much over the past few years as far as frame and components?

Thanks a ton!

mtbr member
    Yeti, but only because they come in much cooler colors. Riding a turquoise bike would further inflate your vision of attractiveness, which everyone knows will make you race faster.
    read KNOBBY MEATS or be sadly ignorant of the mediocrity that is allowed to exist in the interwebs

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Beyond bikes is blowing out Ellsworth's truth and epiphany at 40% off. Buy something that is build in the U.S. and a bike you can have for the rest of your life. They hold their value well and my buddy has had a truth for 7 years and broke the frame and he was sent a new one in 4 days.

Truth complete with X.O = 2,999
    Epiphany complete with X.O = 3,299

http://www.beyondbikes.com/bb/Items.asp?Mc=Ellsworth

post a picture after you've made your choice

Primative Screwhead
    Quote Originally Posted by crux19
    Morning All,
    If I buy new, I will probably buy a full built bike from my LBS for their services that come along with a purchase. I also took a used 2005 Epic S-Works for a spin the other day that cost me $100 but goes to the purchase of any bike I would potentially buy there. I really liked the S-Works I rode but didn't think a heavily used 2005 S-Works was worth dumping $2000 in to and...
    Whoa there.....your LBS charged you $100 just to take a thrashed 4 y.o bike for a test ride?!? Sounds like they are already servicing you

Take the advice given on this thread and buy online. Please trust us on this one!! In my experience,when buying a whole bike, LBSs are a waste of time and money.

Ask anyone.
    MTB evangelist.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I just picked up a 2008 Rocky Mountain ELement 70 as my new race bike this year, I upgraded the wheelset and a few other things and this bike is a rocket.

I would definitely recommend checking out the Element, the other bikes I considered were the Yeti AS-R, Scott Spark, and Cannondale Scalpel. I spent months researching a FS XC race bike and those were the four that realy appealed to me.

THat is not to say that the Specialized or the Ellsworth are not great bikes, but the above 4 were best suited to my conditions and riding style.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks again everyone. I took out a Yeti AS-R the other day and really liked it. It was a 2008 AS-R with the race kit. They don't sell the Enduro kit normally but said they could order it for me. The Enduro kit is $800 cheaper and not sure if the upgrade is worth it.
    The LBS said they would be willing to swap out components/parts if I wanted to. If I were to go with the Enduro kit what would be the best bang for my buck to switch up? The wheelset?

Thanks again. I'll probably swing by the shop again today to see what I can negotiate.

Members who have read this thread: 0