Protective "Ortho" Gloves?- Mtbr.com
    This Way Up

Protective "Ortho" Gloves?

Hello, my crazy DH/FR brothers. I'm mainly an XC/AM rider, but I'm calling upon you for your special knowledge in these matters...

Seems like every time I crash these days (which, thankfully, isn't often), I end up bending one of my thumbs back and pulling the ligament. This takes forever to heal. Then I'm riding with these fragile thumbs, which sucks on all sorts of terrain.

So, the question: Do you know of any gloves built to protect the thumb from bending backwards? It seems like all the DH gloves I've seen just have a bunch of padding, or armor to keep from scraping you knuckles, but no structural support for ligaments.

Thanks, everyone.

Ricky DH
    None that I know of. Pretty much the only thing I've seen even close to this sort of protection are wrist braces. Sorry.

******ed or Branded??
    if there were a brace in the back of your thumb it would certainly destroy the rest of your hands and wrist. There are braces that you could use but it for healing not riding. I suggest you just make sure you make a fist when you go down and not put your hand out to brace yourself. Where a suit so that you can take the hit with our shoulder, but if you do this and you hit it hard enough you will break your collar bone. Just something to think about.

Just ride in your own abilities and not crash!!!!

Commit or eat sh!t
    You might look into a MX catalog and see if there is anything there that might help. Hand guards will help a little.

I also remember seeing a post about a guy who was modifying the brakes/levers for his wife who is disabled and doesn't have a thumb. See if that setup will help you.

My brother also rode Mammoth one day without using his thumb when he pulled out his thumb nail by accident. (I had to push it back in so he can ride). He managed to do the ladder drop on Flow, so it can be done. But he pretty much stayed in single gear the whole time, since he couldn't shift.

Maybe you can modify your setup so you can ride with your thumb taped to the hand. If you are not doing DH/FR, it should be feasible.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    best thing i can tell you is to learn how to fall better heh

when im about to crash, which is quite often actually, first reaction is ball up the fist and protect my ribs. it becomes second nature after a while haha

theres not much protection for your thumb bending back. only support items for hand that ive seen are wrist supports.

mtbr member
    I used to crash alot. You just have to teach yourself how to fall. DO NOT put you hands out. I tend to fall on my shoulders if I fall, they can take more abuse than my hands/wrist can.
    Team _________

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    The only advice I have is to learn how to crash. Aside from not crashing and wearing standard protective gear thats the only way to keep from getting hurt.

Just tuck and roll.

This Way Up
    Just to clarify a point here: My thumb is getting bent back by the bars, not from hitting the ground. In fact, I thought I had done one of the best, most graceful crashes ever on one of these. I was heading down a steep bank into a dry river crossing with lots of babyheads. The guy in front of me stalled on the exit and was falling back down the bank. So I ended up braking right in the rocks, and my front tire got caught. I fell too fast for any kind of reaction, and my foot was still clipped in, so I just rolled onto my back in this really soft silt in the river bed. I was on my back with the bike over me at one point, and just laughing, because I knew it was a stupid, but beautiful fall. It wasn't until a few minutes later that I realized my thumb hurt a little at the first joint. I didn't think it was a big deal until it hurt for months after that. Pulled ligaments are no joke.

Also, I really hardly ever crash. I'm just trying to figure out what to do about these fragile thumbkins...

Members who have read this thread: 0