Protective gloves for desert riding- Mtbr.com
    High Desert MTBer

Protective gloves for desert riding

I am constantly on the lookout for god gloves for riding here in Tucson all year round. I am wondering what other people have found to be successful in this harsh environment. The attributes I am l looking for are:

- Overall quite breathable
    - Palm/heel of hand protection in falls essential
    - Good wrist closure that stays working even after washes
    - Some protection on the outside of the glove and over the knuckles so there is some protection against abrasive rocks, and also against cactus spines to the outside of the hands when 'clipping' that cholla as you fly by!
    - Able to survive a few crashes before splitting

I have yet to find a glove that meets all or even most of these needs, they either split at seams after one crash, or fall apart after a couple of washes, or the padding is not quite in the right places, or most annoyingly, the wrist fastening stops holding after a few weeks of wear/washing.

I don't mind if they are a little bulkier that some, or a little warmer than some, as long as they are durable and afford good protection.

Any ideas out there in the wide world of sports?!?
    It's all Here. Now.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Leatt DBX. I've been running them in Phoenix for about a year. I have two pair and alternate them every ride. And wash them after every ride. Still going strong. Not super-cheap, but the overall best gloves I've worn.

They fit many of your criteria, but no palm padding and no velcro.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

High Desert MTBer
    I do like the look of the Leatts, but the lack of the palm pad is worrying, I have occasionally come down quite hard on the heels of my hand. The Giro Xars have some awesome padding there, but they just don't hold up to hard use and washing...
    I see the Leatts have some reinforcement on the lower palms, is that a double layer of leather there?
    The lack of velcro is fine by me, one less thing to go bad
    It's all Here. Now.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Yeah, it's a double-sewn layer of the same palm material oriented on the heels of the hands. Not sure what it would do for direct impact, but for ripping/tearing it would be good.

Elitest thrill junkie
    An important tip, while you may wash most mtb gear on gentle, DO NOT dry it in the drier, that adds a lot of wear and tear that is completely unnecessary. Air-dry. Will help.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...DO NOT dry it in the drier, that adds a lot of wear and tear that is completely unnecessary...
    IMO, it's a very minor amount of wear and tear that's worth the convenience.
    Do the math.

High Desert MTBer
    I never dry any of my protective gear in the dryer. How inconvenient is it to just lay it all over the top of the dryer while the rest of my gear is inside?!?

Still looking for good gloves!
    It's all Here. Now.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    IMO, it's a very minor amount of wear and tear that's worth the convenience.
    If you ride frequently, you stink up gloves in a hurry, winter or summer, washing them is important, but full wash/dry cycles puts a lot of wear and tear on them, helping to pull out seams, velcro, etc. Not worth it IME.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

DOOM
    Fox Dirtpaw or Unabomber maybe.

I have used both in the desert and around AZ and the Unabomber is a bit thicker but is pretty good at stopping most cactus needles and assorted junk trying to impale you.

The problem with most gloves is that burlier gloves tend to be thicker in the palm material and the material on the underside of your fingers which is good but to keep some semblance of air flow you get thinner material up top that breathes which is where cactus needles tend to end up...especially if you end up brushing against a cactus or falling over into one.

When my last pair of Dirtpaw gave up the ghost I switched over to Bomber gloves and like them, seem to hold up to abuse a bit better and offer pretty good protection without feeling like you are wearing a pair of oven mitts if you catch my drift.

The only annoying thing I can think of with the Fox gloves is that they generally don't have a terrycloth pad on the thumb which is handy here in AZ.

You could always freestyle around Ebay, Pinkbike, etc to pick up a couple different models to try out and then pickup something for keeps I reckon.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    The Unabombers are probably my second favorite to the Leatt. Pretty hot, though, and there's the non-sticking velcro issue. Overall, more protection than the Leatt.

mtbr member
    I've had good luck with some POC gloves - an older version similar to these ones:

http://www.pocsports.com/us/products...%20MTB#start=7

FWIW - I was and dry my gloves and pads without any issues. I air dry my gear after each ride which I find keeps them from getting too stinky and means they don't need to be washed super frequently.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Dirt Paws are a long time go to.
    I ncredibly
    M yopic
    B ackstabbing
    A ssholes

DOOM
    I've had some pretty hellish crashes on decomposed granite, dirt, into piles of debris, etc with Fox and Dekine gloves and have come out fine.

I don't close the wrist velcro on my gloves for no particularly good reason so I can't comment on that part of the deal but basically gloves with some sort of a decent palm is what you want and the rest is pretty much personal preference I think.