Protection, flashy xc helmest vs skate type helmets?- Mtbr.com
    ♥ ς╥33

Protection, flashy xc helmest vs skate type helmets?

So I'm looking to buy a helmet and I wonder how good these xc-helemets protect, thinking about helmets like these

vs something like this
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    Carbon is a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by robicycle
    Just lube your ass with asscream and ride for how long you want.

mtbr member
    I wouldn't buy a skate style helmet because I don't want to drown in sweat in the summer. I have confidence that my XC helmet will protect my noggin more then enough for the riding I do. I'm sure style is part of it for people on both ends, but I really like the practical ventilation and lighter weight of an XC helmet

mtbr member
    Well, I've landed on my noggin with both styles (and motorcycle helmets) and basically, if it fits right and you wear it that's what counts. I own both styles also and it just depends on what I'm riding.
    The skate lids are heavier and hotter and usually don't fit as well (there always seems to be a bit of slip) vs. the lighter, more ventilated snug fit of a XC style. Just a fwiw, in the winter (now) having a lil less ventilation isn't a bad thing necessarily, I don't even wear my Giro in the winter because it freezes my head.
    Bikes=Sanity

♥ ς╥33
    I would be running the hemlets with one of these under in the winter http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuque , really have too here. Will the same helmet fit both during the winter and the summer with one of those under?
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    Carbon is a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by robicycle
    Just lube your ass with asscream and ride for how long you want.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by longcat
    I would be running the hemlets with one of these under in the winter http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuque , really have too here. Will the same helmet fit both during the winter and the summer with one of those under?
    I've worn a thin one for morning rides; I loosened the chinstrap a touch and was good to go. You might have to adjust a bit more for a really warm one, but the same helmet should still fit unless you have a really tight fit

squish is good
    Skate helmet if your gonna be off and on the bike. I use one primarily for dirt jumps or mild shuttle days. They provide deeper rear and side coverage so they are a good option when you can take it off if you aren't pedaling.

XC helmet for actual trail rides, technical or not, if there is climbing and mileage involved you want that ventilation. If your brain cooks you can't think when you hit the gnar and they will protect you just fine.
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    All helmets need to meet the same CPSC safety standards so you'd be just as well off with a cheap Wal-Mart helmet than a more expensive one. However, the skate style helmet will probably be more durable and protect more against scratches and minor bumps since it has less exposed foam. However, it will be heavier and less ventilated. A friend of mine rides with a skate type helmet and he complains all the time about how sweaty he is, but he is too cheap to get a more ventilated helmet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Azndude51
    All helmets need to meet the same CPSC safety standards so you'd be just as well off with a cheap Wal-Mart helmet than a more expensive one. However, the skate style helmet will probably be more durable and protect more against scratches and minor bumps since it has less exposed foam. However, it will be heavier and less ventilated. A friend of mine rides with a skate type helmet and he complains all the time about how sweaty he is, but he is too cheap to get a more ventilated helmet.
    The fact that they all meet the minimum standard does not mean one helmet won't protect better than another, especially for rocks and such. But like I said earlier, any helmet will do well enough for xc riding; its the DH/FR/etc where you definitely need a certain style of helmet (full face)

mtbr member
    I just purchased the 2009 Fox Flux, it is exetermely comfortable and has great vents for air flow.

Members who have read this thread: 0