Protecting yourself From Dogs and other animals.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Protecting yourself From Dogs and other animals.

So I remember reading old posts a long time ago about Protection from animals especially dog bites now knocking wood I've never been bitten but have been chased by dogs and seen horrifying pictures of fellow MTBR's with dog bites. So here is what I did to protect my self first I got an Airzound 110 decibel horn online and went to a nearby discount bike shop and found a planet bike top tube bag that mounts perfectly on the top of the frame closest to the handlebars that I can open and go through while riding if a have to and then I went to dicks sporting goods and purchased a can of Mace Triple Action Pepper spray and a collapsible baton with hand strap so it doesn't slip out of my hand that I can easily reach in last resort out of fear for my life and bodily health + well being if I am about to have my calf torn out by dog and my horn which is my first line of defense doesn't repel and the pepper spray missed or didn't take down multiple attackers. I have been thinking about adding the Hornit 120 decibel siren on the right side of the handle bar and a second Airzound on the left to use multiples or all at once.

I wanted to share what I do to stay safe from animals and people and was wondering what do you do as well?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I usually use periods, commas and sometimes paragraphs.

getting back into it...
    Not a big James Joyce fan? 😂

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    Me too. Dogs hate those.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    9mm Shield works well. Might have to try it out on stravaholes too.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
    Bodyguard 380 is easier to carry

I just squirt em with a water bottle. Hasn't failed to deter one yet.
    I ncredibly
    M yopic
    B ackstabbing
    A ssholes

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Ride faster?

mtbr member
    The only dog that ever tried me, I pointed the bike directly at him and he ran. Any dog dumb enough not to run would be run over or kicked.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro1984 View Post
    Ride faster?
    Interval day. Ride through the Rez.

mtbr member
    If you are that scared of animal attacks while riding...you're probably better off just driving in a car.

Seriously.
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    ::thumbs up:: lol

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

9 lives
    big chain ring helps

F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I can't believe I actually have to say this. Do not mace or shoot dogs.

mtbr member
    Brizz Dogg, what part of the country are you riding?
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Well I have been bitten (on the calf) in the last year and it really was not a fun experience. That said, I haven't really changed anything about my ride prep in response to it (although I also haven't ridden down that particular gravel road again since). The one that bit me was quarantined for 10 days after my incident. On day 11, he bit another cyclist. Needless to say, he has a problem with bikes. By order of the court, that dog is now to be penned up 24/7 and if he is ever found to be running loose again, he will be legally defined as a "dangerous dog" forcing the owner to carry a very expensive liability policy on him.
    That's a long story to say that I've considered more defensive measures, but as of yet, haven't carried through.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott n View Post
    Why not? If a dog is coming in for a bite, mace would seem to be a great idea. I would normally kick the shit out of it though, because i don't carry mace, I'm not a woman.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by @[email protected] View Post
    Why not? If a dog is coming in for a bite, mace would seem to be a great idea. I would normally kick the shit out of it though, because i don't carry mace, I'm not a woman.
    Keep in mind is always the owner's fault, not the dog.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Because in most cases the dog is usually all bark and no bite.... just like you.

mtbr member
    I agree about the shooting but if I had some pepper spray on hand (never do) and a vicious looking dog was coming at me I wouldn't hesitate to use it. It can be a dangerous situation for both dog and rider and a quick shot in the face might make that animal think twice about chasing the next cyclist who comes along. It could save the dogs life.

Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Keep in mind is always the owner's fault, not the dog.
    Agree 100% but the owner isn't the one trying to take a chunk out of my calf

BTW I love dogs. Usually a chase is just a nice interval for me but if it's a fit/fast dog a shot of water in the face usually does the trick.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    a quick shot in the face might make that animal think twice about chasing the next cyclist
    Keep in mind, a quick shot, will leave a dog blinded and in pain for about 45 minutes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Keep in mind, a quick shot, will leave a dog blinded and in pain for about 45 minutes.
    A bite will usually mean death for the dog by animal control if the dog is a known biter

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    A bite will usually mean death for the dog by animal control if the dog is a known biter
    You have a point there.

mtbr member
    Keep in mind, a quick shot, will leave a dog blinded and in pain for about 45 minutes
    Like I said, the dog might think twice about doing it again.

I've been maced/pepper sprayed (not sure which) point blank in the face. It did suck but I'm not blind and the pain didn't last that long. If it were my dog I'd work on (gentle) training and/or containment but as someone jra and being assaulted I just don't have time for that.

Again, I just carry water but can understand why people carry pepper spray for dog defense.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member

Exactly, that's why I mentioned that it could save the dogs life. Also running out in traffic is a real hazard.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Both of my dogs used to go after skunks when they were younger and more inexperienced and both of them have taken a shot or 2 to the face. Now when they see a skunk they calmly watch it walk on by.

I can't imagine that skunk juice is much more pleasant than pepper spray.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Pepper spray and lethal force are both legal methods of defending yourself from a dog attack, at least where I live. As much as I would hate to see a situation where a dog gets hurt or killed, I would certainly advocate self-defense as opposed to receiving grievous and potentially dangerous wounds.

I read on a different cycling forum where a guy uses one of those lemon-juice squeezy bottles filled with a mixture of water and ammonia, easy to grab and squeeze off a jet at an animal. Water by itself should be plenty to deter most reasonable dogs.

Ivan

mtbr member
    Because in most cases the dog is usually all bark and no bite.... just like you.
    I've pulled a guy out of a car and beat the living sh!t out of him for trying to touch my bike on the road while he drove by.

He fell back punch drunk and said "I ain't got no problem with you" after he received his beat down. You might not want to project your "*****" attitude on others. It won't always fit.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I've pulled a guy out of a car and beat the living sh!t out of him for trying to touch my bike on the road while he drove by.

He fell back punch drunk and said "I ain't got no problem with you" after he received his beat down. You might not want to project your "*****" attitude on others. It won't always fit.
    So... you beat up a drunk guy? Are we supposed to be impressed or something?

This must be more of that "bark" that Scott mentioned.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by craZivn View Post
    So... you beat up a drunk guy? Are we supposed to be impressed or something?

This must be more of that "bark" that Scott mentioned.
    Actually that's called action. I'm surprised that you're having trouble with these simple concepts.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017

Haha, still barking

mtbr member
    Nah, depends on the breed of dog. If a Pit is trying to take a chunk I have no problem putting it down. A Pit almost killed my riding buddie last week, took her by the throat, Severely punctured her throat, took 3 of us to get that dog off just before mine passed out. If I had my gun on me, it would be dead right now.

If I see it loose again, I am going to kill it on the spot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LargeMan View Post
    Nah, depends on the demeanor of the dog.
    fify^

Pits get a bad rap, irresponsible dog owners are to blame.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    fify^

Pits get a bad rap, irresponsible dog owners are to blame.
    Disagree, it is always their tendency. Use to breed them and once they decide to clamp on, there is no help and is devastating. There is no place this type of dog in a community. Countless examples of them being a great family dog and then mauling and killing the children. Have had the nicest Pit for 7 years then just killed a dog out of nowhere. People can accelerate this for sure, but it is always in them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    As has been mentioned, this talk of who's to blame becomes a moot point when you've got teeth sunk in to you. For example if someone attacks me with a knife, I'm going to try and neutralize the knife, not figure out what events led to them wanting to attack me.

Ivan

Bikesexual
    The solution is so simple, leash and control your dog!
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

mtbr member
    Dogowners should buy one of these (dog training collar) .
    Works like a charm, not only for bikers, but also for game, in traffic etc.

Just like the-one1 says:"A bite will usually mean death for the dog by animal control if the dog is a known biter "
    Belgian beer and Scotch whisky.

mtbr member

Protecting yourself From Dogs and other animals.

Both of my dogs used to go after skunks when they were younger and more inexperienced and both of them have taken a shot or 2 to the face. Now when they see a skunk they calmly watch it walk on by.

I can't imagine that skunk juice is much more pleasant than pepper spray.
    Some dogs are wired differently. I had a lab that killed a skunk and got sprayed when she was about a year old. After that every skunk she saw (4) when we were out hunting she killed on sight. It was like getting getting sprayed by a skunk would piss her off so bad she had kill the next one she saw. As for people, she never bit anyone and wasn't a car/bike chaser.

So the mace/pepper spray might teach a lesson to one dog, but the next it might just really piss off.

A friend of mine's dog was the same way with porcupines.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "To be the man you gotta beat the man”

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LargeMan View Post
    Disagree, it is always their tendency. Use to breed them and once they decide to clamp on, there is no help and is devastating. There is no place this type of dog in a community. Countless examples of them being a great family dog and then mauling and killing the children. Have had the nicest Pit for 7 years then just killed a dog out of nowhere. People can accelerate this for sure, but it is always in them.
    You used to breed them and here you are talking sh*t about them.
    You seem to have no clue what you are actually talking about on a breed.

I have 2 blue pits. They are scared of their shadows. Hell they run for the life if the broom comes out.
    There is no such thing as a "dangerous Breed" Just cause it is a pit doesn't mean it's automatically more aggressive than the Lab walking around also.
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thasingletrackmastah View Post
    Dogowners should buy one of these (dog training collar) .
    Works like a charm, not only for bikers, but also for game, in traffic etc.

Just like the-one1 says:"A bite will usually mean death for the dog by animal control if the dog is a known biter "
    Not just death by animal control. If a dog bites me, it's not gonna make it home.. I have been bitten and it F**king sucks.
    Too Many .

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    I had a truly terrifying experience with a dog today. I think he was going for the throat so I had to let him have it.

Protecting yourself From Dogs and other animals.-savage-beast.jpg

that guy
    Jun 2011
    My pit would rather curl up in your lap than bite you.

The other 40+ pits my family and I have adopted or fostered over the last 20 years would do the same. They're all big cuddle monkeys who think they're lap dogs. I've honestly never known a sweeter breed.

I'd rather outlaw "breeders" than pits....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleh0rse View Post
    I'm with you there, it's a shame to breed animals for profit when there are so many good dogs put down every day in shelters.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by paleh0rse View Post
    My pit would rather curl up in your lap than bite you.

The other 40+ pits my family and I have adopted or fostered over the last 20 years would do the same. They're all big cuddle monkeys who think they're lap dogs. I've honestly never known a sweeter breed.

Dalmatians, very affectionate, misunderstood breed, like pits.

Energetic? Yes! Dumb? Negative! I'm surprised they are not even in the sporting category. My Gypsy was awesome!
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

mtbr member
    The OP seems to be taking things to extremes, but whatever.
    Pepper spray has been working for me. I get "approached" by dogs who run after me and bark any time I ride for exercise near my home. I'm a dog lover, accustomed to both big breeds and so-called "aggressive" ones, so most of them don't bother me at all. I'd stop and love on them if I had the time, and sometimes do. Those dogs aren't why I'm carrying pepper spray, but not everyone's familiar with dogs, and all the talk about what someone should and shouldn't do doesn't mean much when they're faced with what at least appears to be an aggressive one. Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference, too.

I've had dogs bite me on two separate occasions when I was younger, and killed both of them. That's my rule. If it bites me, it's dead. Hence the pepper spray(much prefer not to get bitten or have to kill anyone's dog!).
    I don't ride on the pavement around here much, mostly because the roads suck, but we have lots of dogs, and a few that are a problem.
    I've had one leave slobber on my calf as I jerked my leg just in time to keep from being bitten, and been attacked a couple of times by a litte pit mix(who's accompanied by 3 other dogs that aren't going to bite) where I have to get off the bike and put it between us when I see him coming. Don't know what started him doing that, because I used to just talk to him and stay on the bike, but have ended up hitting him in the face with the crank and pedal repeatedly as he kept lunging at me, and having to walk that way well past where he lives.
    Got the pepper spray since I was on the verge of just killing both of them, and it worked great. They may need a reminder after not seeing me for awhile, but after getting a good hosing, they mostly keep their distance and will even run from me if I yell at them.
    So pepper spray is keeping the peace. I'd like to give those two dogs' owners a taste of it, though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    (Former canine behaviorist) most dogs, you're triggering their prey drive, they will probably stop if you charge them. But you don't want to have the one that wont. If water doesnt work. Then there isn't anything wrong in my opinion in using pepper spray, if water doesn't work. Yes it's harsh, but the dog will probably learn not to chase bikers.

As for the pitbulls....they're just dogs. You can only get 5% of behavior traits from breeding. The rest is learned behavior. They're biggest problem is they are very capable dogs (most big heads and over 50lbs are) and owned by monsters.

Merendon Junkie
    I just grab them from the mandible and upper snout and tear their head open. Works every time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    would bear spray work on dogs?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    would bear spray work on dogs?
    Yes, same thing, longer stream.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Are we talking about a stray dog or one off leash within distance of its owner? Stray dog its man vs. beast, if you can't easily pedal off i'll square off with pooch which usually scares them off. If their owner is present they are going to get a mouth full and if they can't quickly control their pet I will take action neccecary to keep my hyde intact.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
    Yes yes here is the fun police. "How dare you try to enjoy this trail in a way that I don't agree with!"
    Denver, CO

that guy
    Jun 2011
    If you're running a standard seat post with a QR, that may be the most readily accessible "weapon" on a bike. You could even cut the end of it to form a point if you're extra paranoid...😆