Protecting ones privates?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    292

    Protecting ones privates?

    I couldn't find anything after a search here and if somebody know or posted this question before, please post a link. Basically, I jammed my family-jewels to the stem today. I have an older pair of "Bike" brand jock-straps w/ a plastic cup insert on the front and will be wearing that from now on. Just wondering if there are better alternatives. It wouldn't hurt to put a pad on my stem either but I want protection where it counts. TIA
    d butt u kicked today, could b d same butt you'll kiss tomorrow.....

  2. #2
    Just Ride
    Reputation: Cormac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,738
    Jammin the jewels is part of the risk of the sport. But far from my biggest concern in a crash. Wear the cup if you feel you need to. I wear one when I play paintball.

    As for padding the stem. I wouldn't. Would look like an overgrown BMX bike. Besides, wouldn't do nearly as much good as the cup.
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

  3. #3
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,236
    Quote Originally Posted by skeered1 View Post
    I couldn't find anything after a search here and if somebody know or posted this question before, please post a link. Basically, I jammed my family-jewels to the stem today. I have an older pair of "Bike" brand jock-straps w/ a plastic cup insert on the front and will be wearing that from now on. Just wondering if there are better alternatives. It wouldn't hurt to put a pad on my stem either but I want protection where it counts. TIA
    The cup will cause other constant issues while riding.

    I am sure you will quickly learn what they are.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    292
    ......."The cup will cause other constant issues while riding"....... yup! and I think I initially did wear mines long time ago and stopped for those reasons.....tnx
    d butt u kicked today, could b d same butt you'll kiss tomorrow.....

  5. #5
    Fat boy Mod Moderator
    Reputation: donalson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,381
    I knew lizard skins used to sell a pad for MTB stems and googled it and found this...

    LIZARD SKINS BALLFROG STEM PAD


    while searching for a good image I found this old thread on MTB... has some good info
    https://forums.mtbr.com/general-disc...up-277794.html
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    13
    ditch the cup, and ride within your limits.
    you'll be a happy camper.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,287
    Quote Originally Posted by skeered1 View Post
    I couldn't find anything after a search here and if somebody know or posted this question before, please post a link. Basically, I jammed my family-jewels to the stem today. I have an older pair of "Bike" brand jock-straps w/ a plastic cup insert on the front and will be wearing that from now on. Just wondering if there are better alternatives. It wouldn't hurt to put a pad on my stem either but I want protection where it counts. TIA
    How many spacers do you have on your steerer? I know a lot of us probably run a few because we want to maintain the "re-sale" value of our forks by not cutting it it too short......

    Once I also jammed my jewels on a technical climb where my feet unclipped and the bike rolled back and hit me right in the bullseye.....the very next day I took a pipe-cutter to the steerer re-sale value be damned....

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    292
    Quote Originally Posted by osmarandsara View Post
    How many spacers do you have on your steerer? I know a lot of us probably run a few because we want to maintain the "re-sale" value of our forks by not cutting it it too short......

    Once I also jammed my jewels on a technical climb where my feet unclipped and the bike rolled back and hit me right in the bullseye.....the very next day I took a pipe-cutter to the steerer re-sale value be damned....
    not that I wanna harsh your, mellow osmar......but that's a li'l far-fetched imho. I don't have extra spacers on my steerer and your incident is quiet hard to picture.

    besides the stem, it could be the bar or anything on a bad crash. I 've been riding about 10 years and this happened to me 2x so far here in techy NE trails. I just wanna find out "better" alternative protection, if there are.
    d butt u kicked today, could b d same butt you'll kiss tomorrow.....

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    292
    Quote Originally Posted by wittym View Post
    ditch the cup, and ride within your limits.
    you'll be a happy camper.
    No doubt, I'm one of the many who ride w/in my limits. I'm also one of the many who gets mishaps here and there. Tnx...
    d butt u kicked today, could b d same butt you'll kiss tomorrow.....

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    292
    Quote Originally Posted by donalson View Post
    I knew lizard skins used to sell a pad for MTB stems and googled it and found this...

    LIZARD SKINS BALLFROG STEM PAD


    while searching for a good image I found this old thread on MTB... has some good info
    https://forums.mtbr.com/general-disc...up-277794.html
    Hey, thanks for the link. That thread veered off but was very entertaining..
    d butt u kicked today, could b d same butt you'll kiss tomorrow.....

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    129
    After nearly taking out my jewels (hit so hard at the top of my inner thigh, millimetres from the dingleberries that I had a massive bruise) years ago, I bought a Roach stem pad like this:



    Loved it, saved me a few times..(even knees, etc...whatever you bash while flying through the air lol)...until some lowlife stole it

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bigfruits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    861
    just do what i do, tuck and tape.

Similar Threads

  1. Protecting your camera
    By dunerinaz in forum Photography for mountain bikers
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 12-12-2011, 06:36 PM
  2. Protecting Raw Aluminum
    By Natalie Portman in forum Vintage, Retro, Classic
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-20-2009, 04:55 PM
  3. PROTECTING a new frame
    By Aust95 in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 05-14-2009, 06:02 AM
  4. Protecting the chainstay
    By bryguy6631 in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-15-2009, 02:11 AM
  5. women's clinics :: privates for everyone in OC
    By mtbchick in forum California - Socal
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-03-2005, 10:04 AM

Members who have read this thread: 1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.