Protecting ones privates?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Protecting ones privates?

I couldn't find anything after a search here and if somebody know or posted this question before, please post a link. Basically, I jammed my family-jewels to the stem today. I have an older pair of "Bike" brand jock-straps w/ a plastic cup insert on the front and will be wearing that from now on. Just wondering if there are better alternatives. It wouldn't hurt to put a pad on my stem either but I want protection where it counts. TIA
    d butt u kicked today, could b d same butt you'll kiss tomorrow.....

Just Ride
    Jammin the jewels is part of the risk of the sport. But far from my biggest concern in a crash. Wear the cup if you feel you need to. I wear one when I play paintball.

As for padding the stem. I wouldn't. Would look like an overgrown BMX bike. Besides, wouldn't do nearly as much good as the cup.
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by skeered1 View Post
    I couldn't find anything after a search here and if somebody know or posted this question before, please post a link. Basically, I jammed my family-jewels to the stem today. I have an older pair of "Bike" brand jock-straps w/ a plastic cup insert on the front and will be wearing that from now on. Just wondering if there are better alternatives. It wouldn't hurt to put a pad on my stem either but I want protection where it counts. TIA
    The cup will cause other constant issues while riding.

I am sure you will quickly learn what they are.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    ......."The cup will cause other constant issues while riding"....... yup! and I think I initially did wear mines long time ago and stopped for those reasons.....tnx

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    I knew lizard skins used to sell a pad for MTB stems and googled it and found this...

LIZARD SKINS BALLFROG STEM PAD

while searching for a good image I found this old thread on MTB... has some good info
    https://forums.mtbr.com/general-disc...up-277794.html
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    ditch the cup, and ride within your limits.
    you'll be a happy camper.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by skeered1 View Post
    How many spacers do you have on your steerer? I know a lot of us probably run a few because we want to maintain the "re-sale" value of our forks by not cutting it it too short......

Once I also jammed my jewels on a technical climb where my feet unclipped and the bike rolled back and hit me right in the bullseye.....the very next day I took a pipe-cutter to the steerer re-sale value be damned....

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by osmarandsara View Post
    How many spacers do you have on your steerer? I know a lot of us probably run a few because we want to maintain the "re-sale" value of our forks by not cutting it it too short......

Once I also jammed my jewels on a technical climb where my feet unclipped and the bike rolled back and hit me right in the bullseye.....the very next day I took a pipe-cutter to the steerer re-sale value be damned....
    not that I wanna harsh your, mellow osmar......but that's a li'l far-fetched imho. I don't have extra spacers on my steerer and your incident is quiet hard to picture.

besides the stem, it could be the bar or anything on a bad crash. I 've been riding about 10 years and this happened to me 2x so far here in techy NE trails. I just wanna find out "better" alternative protection, if there are.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wittym View Post
    ditch the cup, and ride within your limits.
    you'll be a happy camper.
    No doubt, I'm one of the many who ride w/in my limits. I'm also one of the many who gets mishaps here and there. Tnx...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by donalson View Post
    I knew lizard skins used to sell a pad for MTB stems and googled it and found this...

LIZARD SKINS BALLFROG STEM PAD

while searching for a good image I found this old thread on MTB... has some good info
    https://forums.mtbr.com/general-disc...up-277794.html
    Hey, thanks for the link. That thread veered off but was very entertaining..

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    After nearly taking out my jewels (hit so hard at the top of my inner thigh, millimetres from the dingleberries that I had a massive bruise) years ago, I bought a Roach stem pad like this:

Loved it, saved me a few times..(even knees, etc...whatever you bash while flying through the air lol)...until some lowlife stole it

mtbr member
    just do what i do, tuck and tape.