Protect me from the hunters!- Mtbr.com
    Dozer

Protect me from the hunters!

Like many of you, I really love riding in the autumn. Here in Ohio, the weather is just perfect for MTB in October. There is just one problem -- hunting season also begins around the same time. I ride on some public lands where hunting is permitted, and while I rarely see hunters, I would hate to be mistaken for a critter.

Does anyone know of a good riding jacket that comes in blaze orange? Also, a blaze orange mesh or spandex helmet cover would be awesome!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Don't know of any blaze orange riding gear but you could use a thin mesh vest over whatever gear you're wearing. You can buy em for less than 5 bucks at sporting goods stores. As far as the hat, my buddy stretches a thin toboggan over his helmet. Good luck!

No Stranger to danger....
    i would suggest any sort of fur coat, moose suit, bear suit, and a David Boon hat would go ok too, cheers
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....:cool:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's L'axeman View Post
    i would suggest any sort of fur coat, moose suit, bear suit, and a David Boon hat would go ok too, cheers
    A coon skin cap wold work great. Everyone knows Deer don't wear hats.

turtles make me hot
    Shoot back.
    I like turtles

Ba ba ba bird bird bird
    Here is a helmet cover:

Safety Bright Orange Bicycle Helmet Cover Waterproof by HHknits

Amazon sells orange vests that you can wear over your jersey. Under Armour also makes orange compression shirts.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    The only helmet covers that I found googling the net are for equestrian helmets. They are stretch lycra/nylon, so they might work. If you take a small in Giro helmets, you can still get the Xar model in orange at amazon. If you search your LBS, you might get lucky and find one in a medium or large. You can get the orange and reflective material vests that highway workers use for cheap, and they are usually mesh. I find it hard to believe that after all these years, one still can't buy a premade helmet cover in blaze orange. Since the deer and other game animals are most active in the early mornings and late afternoons/evening, that's when the hunters are most likely to be out too. Try to limit your riding to midday if possible.

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    Hope hubs....

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Oh, I found the Giro Xar in orange in all sizes available at Performance Bike-

2012 Giro Xar MTB Helmet - Bike Helmets

Can you justify a $120 for a new helmet?

mtbr member
    Nebraska made it easy and just shuts down the trail near me when deer season hits. Sucks, but I'd hate to be mistaken for a deer. A lot of private land here is also used for hunting so I may have to stay off the rural roads.

They do make orange cycling jackets when I did a google search. Check out a hunting store or maybe even a local feed/farming store.

Found a waterproof orange helmet cover on Etsy. Etsy.com is a site for homemade items. Never had a problem with any purchases made from people on the site. Item said sold, but the shop owner could probably make you one easily.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    A bell on the handlebars?

Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    BWAHAHAHAHA, How are you gonna ring that after youve been shot in the head ? maybe you could just drive around ringing it with 5 second intervals, lol LEE i suspect your takin the piss here lol........

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    that optic acid yellow green is pretty common on jerseys. it's not blaze orange, but it will do. just wear bright colors. surveyor flagging comes on blaze orange, and could be used to wrap bars and frame tubes.

turtles make me hot
    It's actually sad to me that people out biking have to worry about being shot by hunters. I hunted with my father as a kid and the first thing I was taught was not to shoot anything until you know what it is.
    I've heard some real asshats tell stories of shooting into moving bushes and other similar things. I'll never understand people like that.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    It's actually sad to me that people out biking have to worry about being shot by hunters. I hunted with my father as a kid and the first thing I was taught was not to shoot anything until you know what it is.
    I've heard some real asshats tell stories of shooting into moving bushes and other similar things. I'll never understand people like that.
    Seriously as a long time hunter I will never understand how people can be mistaken as an animal, especially riding a bike. Fortunately for me I have a several local trails that do not allow hunting so that is where I will be.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spn4125 View Post
    Seriously as a long time hunter I will never understand how people can be mistaken as an animal, especially riding a bike. Fortunately for me I have a several local trails that do not allow hunting so that is where I will be.
    Ditto here as well...

mtbr member
    Everyone I know that hunts take safety very seriously and aren't out to shoot anything that moves. The trail I ride is along private property lines and open farmland. It only makes sense to close the trail during hunting season and post a sign stating so.

I would think anything orange would be seen as safe during hunting season. You could always put one of those orange flags on the back of your bike..LOL.

Dozer
    Thanks for all the responses and suggestions. And comedy.

MOST hunters I know and encounter are very respectful sportsmen that take safety very seriously. I just wanted to make sure I was as visible as possible.

I also opt not to ride during whitetail shotgun season -- here in Ohio that is when most accidents occur. Just too many eager shooters in the woods during that week or two.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Dealing with hunting season can be a pain. We have our own 65 acres.. but border 1400 acres of state forest and there is hunting allowed there. We also have to deal with dogs being run through our property.. (no dogs can't read no tresspassing signs!). Hunting is not allowed on Sunday.. so that is the preferred day to be "in the woods". But definitely invest in some sort of high vis clothing so that you are as recognizable as possible if you really "have to" ride on a hunting day...

As far as clothing.. neon orange.. or high vis yellow are both really helpful and you can find lots of non-cycling specific clothing.. like vests and shirts. The suggestion for equestrian helmet covers is also good. Another thing to remember is turkey season precautions..they advise AGAINST wearing red white or blue (head color of turkeys).. The seasons are pretty brief for those though.

mtbr member
    If I was riding in an area prone to hunters, I think id also go with being as bright and loud as possible...

My vote is for a traffic safety vest such as this: VIKING Hi Visibility Vest, Class 2, S/M, Orange - Traffic Safety Vests - 10K303|U6110O-S/M - Grainger Industrial Supply

here is an orange helmet cover: Respro: Urban Commuting - Cycling - Helmet Cover

Id probably also be inclined to use a "bear bell", not to warn bears of my approach, but to warn hunters.. Coghlan's Bear Bell with Magnetic Silencer | Bass Pro Shops

mtbr member
    I'm an avid hunter, and hunt many different locations. I think any cheap blaze orange vest should be fine. Get a size larger than you normally wear, and just wear it over whatever you have on that day.

It is somewhat sad that we need to worry about mistaken identity, but negligence occurs everywhere, not just the hunting woods.

For whitetailed deer season, I'd avoid riding during early and late hours, which is when deer are most active.

I'd avoid wearing any white, because deer will flash their tails when alarmed, and that draws the attention of hunters, even from a great distance. Of course, avoid any color that even remotely resembles a deer's coat.

Also, I would be much more careful in any area where any-sex deer hunting is allowed. A safe & careful hunter, looking for a trophy buck, will usually be pretty careful and selective with the shot. But, in an area where "it's brown, and it's down", some may shoot at anything, and that is potentially dangerous.

mudhen
    "Lighten up Francis" Sgt. Hulka

Nickel Havr
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's L'axeman View Post
    BWAHAHAHAHA, How are you gonna ring that after youve been shot in the head ? maybe you could just drive around ringing it with 5 second intervals, lol LEE i suspect your takin the piss here lol........
    Quote Originally Posted by FLMike View Post
    Id probably also be inclined to use a "bear bell", not to warn bears of my approach, but to warn hunters.. Coghlan's Bear Bell with Magnetic Silencer | Bass Pro Shops
    Yup... A bear bell works great and can also be used year-round!
    I use one year-round at a fast local singletrack with limited sight-path...
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

El Gato Malo
    Mar 2009
    I picked up a blaze vest at Wally World for $5 and with the help of some glue on velcro it fits nicely over and around my camelback.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    that optic acid yellow green is pretty common on jerseys. it's not blaze orange, but it will do. just wear bright colors. surveyor flagging comes on blaze orange, and could be used to wrap bars and frame tubes.
    +1 on the surveyor tape. I also tie a couple strips on helmet ,camelback and the dog!

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahdog31 View Post
    Like many of you, I really love riding in the autumn. Here in Ohio, the weather is just perfect for MTB in October. There is just one problem -- hunting season also begins around the same time. I ride on some public lands where hunting is permitted, and while I rarely see hunters, I would hate to be mistaken for a critter.

Does anyone know of a good riding jacket that comes in blaze orange? Also, a blaze orange mesh or spandex helmet cover would be awesome!
    Hunter safety orange vest and while you are at it, nothing wrong with using your handlebar and helmet lights as well for extra safety. Avoid riding at prime hunting times of the day (sunrise and sunset hours). Mid-morning to mid-afternoon will be your safest time to be out there.

Best to find some trails on grounds that are closed to hunting.

BB

mtbr member
    POC makes sufficiently obnoxious helmet colors to be noticed in the field.
    I grabbed the orange Trabec Race model, if they can't see me coming they're blind.
    Cheers,
    M

beater
    I have a POC full face in bright orange that's good for the big DH trails in elk country. I used to have a bright orange Westcomb shell that was handy, but now I just use a cheap vest, as others suggested. Also suggested, surveyors flagging works well on helmets and packs. We also ride in big, noisy groups during mid-day.

banned
    Oct 2004
    Wooo... that reminds me: must go grab me a hi-vis vest for this wknds ride! Altho, if that bright-ass yellow/black Tallboy frame of mine doesn't show that I'm not a Bambi and I get shot, I'm coming back as a poltergeist to skullfvck EVERYONE in the shooters family!

mtbr member
    May 2012

mtbr member
    You realize if you are using your bell, you're scaring off the deer and pissing off the hunters. You might get shot at just for ruining their day even if you are wearing orange. LOL.

I can just see it now..some guy has the perfect shot at his prized deer, takes careful aim, goes to pull the trigger and you go by at the exact same time with your bike/body draped in orange ringing your bell and scare the deer off.

group W bench member
    Just ride after dark...a pair of HIDs bouncing down the trail while the hunters are walking out can be a fun start to a conversation.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bethany1 View Post
    You realize if you are using your bell, you're scaring off the deer and pissing off the hunters. You might get shot at just for ruining their day even if you are wearing orange. LOL.

I can just see it now..some guy has the perfect shot at his prized deer, takes careful aim, goes to pull the trigger and you go by at the exact same time with your bike/body draped in orange ringing your bell and scare the deer off.
    This is actually something I wondered... is riding on the trails while people are hunting bad for the name of mountain biking? We all know hunters have a bigger voice in state parks then Mtbrs. Will it only take one annoyed hunter to ruin it for us?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mudhen View Post
    I'm an avid hunter, and hunt many different locations. I think any cheap blaze orange vest should be fine. Get a size larger than you normally wear, and just wear it over whatever you have on that day.

It is somewhat sad that we need to worry about mistaken identity, but negligence occurs everywhere, not just the hunting woods.

For whitetailed deer season, I'd avoid riding during early and late hours, which is when deer are most active.

I'd avoid wearing any white, because deer will flash their tails when alarmed, and that draws the attention of hunters, even from a great distance. Of course, avoid any color that even remotely resembles a deer's coat.

Also, I would be much more careful in any area where any-sex deer hunting is allowed. A safe & careful hunter, looking for a trophy buck, will usually be pretty careful and selective with the shot. But, in an area where "it's brown, and it's down", some may shoot at anything, and that is potentially dangerous.

mudhen
    Sound advice

I would also consider orange blaze tape strips on your helmet.

mtbr member
    I would check with your local park to see if there are any regulations during hunting season. The trail I use is a "rails to trails" line and it's clearly stated that it's closed during deer hunting season. The mountain bike trails I go are in Omaha and Lincoln inside city limits.

I was surprised last year when I went to a state park and the lady at the front desk said it was just fine to ride even though it was deer season with bows/arrows. Huh? I rode for about an hour, saw one hunter and left. He looked just as surprised I did when I went by him.

A bell is probably overkill though.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    with a bell, they will hear you coming and have time to get a bead on you.

i will be riding in a bowhunting area this coming weekend where very few bikers go, so I will be working to be visible...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Stay away from Dick Cheney's place =-)

father, mountain biker
    Quote Originally Posted by spn4125 View Post
    Here's a clue...
    "He seems quite arrogant and ignores quite some valid points." -Millfox
    "I don't like you" -ne_dan

mtbr member
    All (well mostly all) good advice. Also look into the exact dates of the seasons. Here in MA its archery only until December. I can't see anyone mistaking a biker for a deer within bow range. Once shotgun and black powder season start I stay out of woods that are hunted. Luckily I've got a couple of riding spots that don't allow hunting (I still wear orange, not gonna risk my life) and hunting is not allowed on Sundays so anywhere is fair game on Sunday (Thanks puritans!)

And while I understand that most hunters are very responsible, last year a hunter (who happened to be a state cop ) shot a woman who was standing in her yard drinking her morning coffee. He was in the woods and didn't know he was close to houses. God knows what he was shooting at, for some reason I want to say it was her golden retreiver.
    NEMBA Freetown VP

How bout just buy a bullet proof vest, lol

Dozer
    Quote Originally Posted by shredjunkie View Post
    Here's a clue...
    ^^ Classy. But, sadly accurate.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    - Neon orange/yellow Flag flown on your camelbak
    - Industry Nine hubs
    - Iphone playing a Bjork song

Boom, done deal.

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    Quote Originally Posted by baymoe View Post
    - Iphone playing a Bjork song
    This will definetly make the hunters aim at you only to make the music/hurting stop.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by fell_brook View Post
    This is actually something I wondered... is riding on the trails while people are hunting bad for the name of mountain biking? We all know hunters have a bigger voice in state parks then Mtbrs. Will it only take one annoyed hunter to ruin it for us?
    I wouldn't worry about that. Hunters understand where the more common use areas are and will typically not fault you for using the trails i nthis manner. As a hunter and a MTBer, I would say that everyone has a bigger voice than the hunters in our state (NC).

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bethany1 View Post

This is more of my concern than being mistaken for an animal. I agree; the real hunters that I know take safety very seriously. Hunter gets pissed at me for scaring off all the deer and realizes that it would be pretty damn tough for the cops to track him down when there's no interpersonal relationship.
    Last edited by skiing9689; 10-01-2012 at 01:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Stay out the woods. That's the only guarantee.
    2017 Cannondale Scalpel Si Carbon 3 (27.5)

group W bench member
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtjim57 View Post
    Stay out the woods. That's the only guarantee.
    Really shouldn't make decisions based on what bad thing MIGHT happen.Nothing is guaranteed. Be careful-do what you like.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Mounted and stuffed!

I bet you would look great on somebody's wall! Just make sure that they get your good side with a smile...

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Went to the local Target, how ironic, and got a Champion C9 blaze orange pullover jacket for 26 bucks plus tax. Not too heavy, not too light, certainly not bulletproof, but highly visible.
    I know all hunters are self-admittingly careful professionals, but how do you explain the yearly headlines in (pick your state) that proclaim Hunter shoots self, hunter shoots bus, hunter shoots ex-wife, take your pick....
    As for the bell thing, you will either drive yourself nuts ringing it, listening to it, or hell, someone will probably shoot you because it is so freaking annoying.

group W bench member
    Quote Originally Posted by switchie View Post
    Went to the local Target, how ironic.
    Very funny^^that
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I have an orange cycling jersey I bought for fall riding- it's bright orange and says CRASH TEST DUMMY on it. The plus is that it's orange; the minus is that it has yellow and black targets on the chest, back, and shoulders. I originally shopped for a Euskaltel jersey, but figured that would make me crash more.

I also use a small brass bear bell, it's pretty soft sounding but carries fairly far. Between that and the grunting and wheezing sounds I make on the climbs, hunters should know I'm coming before they see me. I try to fall on some descents and swear a lot, this also helps them know my location.

jbf
    mtbr member
    I've been out on the local trails here in CT during bow season and it's pretty creepy. I've yet to run into a fully armed Elmer Fudd however.

My family is all up in Maine. I love going up there on opening day just to hang out. It's Xmas, new years and holloween all rolled into one. As the local minimart sign says - "Guns, Beer, Ammo"

What a combination ...

Rogue Exterminator
    This time of year, it starts getting cold and it is important to stay warm to prevent injuries.

Try this

Members who have read this thread: 0