Pronation & specialied body geometry shoes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Pronation & specialied body geometry shoes

Has anyone out there tried the new body geometry shoes from specialized. Were you a pronator before and feel more comfortable in them? During your pedal stroke did you have an outside swing in it before and did these shoes cure it?

Thanks,

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Yes, they worked for my Pronating Feet

Quote Originally Posted by preparation_h
    Has anyone out there tried the new body geometry shoes from specialized. Were you a pronator before and feel more comfortable in them? During your pedal stroke did you have an outside swing in it before and did these shoes cure it?

Thanks,
    As a matter of fact I just bought the 04 Specialized Sport MTB shoes. My feet do pronate. Two thing that helped me. I switched 3 years ago from SPD's to Speedplay frogs to get more float. Made huge difference. No more inner knee pain after 2 hour rides. I had been using Shimano 152's since going to he Frogs. It was a good shoe. So, when it came time to replace, I tried all of the BG series shoes. Because I have a big volume foot, I did not like the shoe sock of the Comp shoe. But, the Sport fit my foot like a glove. And, I have ridden both my FS MTB bike and my OCR 1 Road bike and it feels awesome. I would even say better the the shimanos. If you like your current pedal setup, you might think about adjusting the angle which you rfoot restr. That is the great thing about the Frogs. They have alot of float. And, it is nice to have when negotiating swithbacks and tight singletrack. But, like saddles, shoes and pedals are very much a personal thing.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

Hated 'em

Thanks,
    I tried them at the end of '02 for about 10 rides and never could get comfy in them. With that wedge thingie under the inner half of my feet, it felt like I was pedaling on the outside of my feet. I constantly felt like my feet were sliding off the outside of the pedals. I got rid of them immediately.

Bodhisattva

I don't know, but...

have you tried a semi-rigid foot insole?

I like the $25 over-the-counter ones by superfeet:
    http://www.superfeet.com/content/blue.html

Just take out the stock insole on any shoe & replace it with the Superfeet insole. I use these in my hiking shoes as well.

Still chuggin' along
    Yeah, those Superfeet are really nice. I use them in all of my shoes but didn't feel the need to for my Specialized Comps. Those are VERY comfy shoes, although, I don't pronate, I go the other way (forgot what that's called).

Anyway, just like anything you wear, you've got to try them on first to see how they feel. Some people swear by Pearl Izumis but they felt like total boards on my feet.

Bodhisattva

supination

the opposite of pronation is supination.

pronation generally occurs with flat feet. During gait the ankle rolls in and the sole of the foot flattens and want to evert, or roll out.

Supination generally occurs with high arches. The ankle rolls out and the sole of the foot tries to invert or roll in. Think of supination as turning over a bowl of soup.

Nat
    mtbr member

Don't like them

Thanks,

I overpronate mildly, and I don't know what you mean by "outside swing" exactly. I have a pair of BG shoes that I don't much care for, because of the varus wedge. Like Earthpig also noticed, my feet feel like they're constantly sliding off the shoe to the outside. It makes my feet feel unstable and tired. The varus wedge they use is only underneath the froont part of the shoe, not the rear. It depends on what's causing your foot to pronate, but the forefoot wedge might actually make you pronate more. If your forefoot to rearfoot position is normal, then forcing your forefoot to supinate will actually loosen up the joints of the rearfoot, and make you more likely to pronate.

Some people swear by the shoes, but I don't.

recovering roadie

Good job! Love 'em

I've been riding in a pair of the Pros for almost a year now and would buy them again. I'm looking at a pair of their carbon road shoes now...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I pronate pretty bad, and I use Sidi Dominator Mega's with some old Superfeet insoles (no idea what model they are). I'd say that you'd be best with a shoe that fits you best, then swapping insoles (you may need to go a half size up on the shoe depending on the bulk of the insole... bring any insole you might be using when trying them on... the shop should let you swap the soles for fitting). I'm not a huge fan of the Specialized fit, but it might work for you depending on your overall foot shape.

sean

Thanks,