problem with shorts and bibs sucking!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2009

problem with shorts and bibs sucking!

i have two pairs of Canari el cheapo shorts.
    one pair was $25, the other was $50 and worked pretty good for a month or two
    I also have a pair of Specialized bibs, they were $60, retailed at $130 i think.( they were leftover team gear from 08 or so i believe.)
    i am 5'8 220. Size 38 waist. Atleast most of my jeans and shorts ore a size 38.
    So i order XL bibs and Canari shorts.

However, after a month or 2 of wearing each they get a " Full diaper" effect. Even the Spechy bibs.

Im wondering if i should maybe be ordering size Large as opposed to XL. Not sure. Im just tired of paying for riding shorts/bibs that are totally pointless. The Specialized bibs slide down and deem themselves useless and even hang down at the crotch a little which makes them catch the nose of my saddle.

im wondering if i am just odd shaped or ordering wrong size or just ordering cheap junk that will not last. ( i know the canari shorts are cheap quality, i expected the specialized bibs to be a little better.)

any help would be appreciated. thanks guys!
    MTB : 2019 Giant Fathom 2
    ROAD: 2019 Giant TCR Advanced 2
    TRUCK: 2018 GMC Sierra Z71

mtbr member
    Go into your LBS, try some on and buy what fits.

As for feeling baggy - often if the leg grippers are too far down your legs, the shorts do not get the opportunity to sit where they should. Try pulling the grippers up higher and see what happens. The joy of lycra is that it deforms, so if they are stretched more than they should be to fit, then they will appear saggy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeper006 View Post
    ... However, after a month or 2 of wearing each they get a " Full diaper" effect. Even the Spechy bibs....
    The bicycle apparel designers expect us to be tall and THIN (not me...also 5'8" with 38" waist) and that may be part of your problem.

Since it takes a "month or 2" for the "full diaper effect", I wonder if your laundering methods are killing the elasticity of the material.

A cold wash and no/low heat drying are best for the materials shorts and bibs are constructed of.
    Last edited by gmcttr; 10-27-2011 at 07:02 AM.

Jul 2011
    I wash my bibs in the machine washer on cold only then air dry them on a hanger. Like gmcttr said, if you dry them in a machine dryer, it may possibly cause deterioration of the stretchy fabric.

I usually wear size 30 waist shorts and pants, but for bicycling bibs/shorts, I usually choose whatever sizing shows about 28-30 on a manufacturer's size chart.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeper006 View Post
    i have two pairs of Canari el cheapo shorts.
    one pair was $25, the other was $50 and worked pretty good for a month or two
    I also have a pair of Specialized bibs, they were $60, retailed at $130 i think.( they were leftover team gear from 08 or so i believe.)
    i am 5'8 220. Size 38 waist. Atleast most of my jeans and shorts ore a size 38.
    So i order XL bibs and Canari shorts.

However, after a month or 2 of wearing each they get a " Full diaper" effect. Even the Spechy bibs.

Im wondering if i should maybe be ordering size Large as opposed to XL. Not sure. Im just tired of paying for riding shorts/bibs that are totally pointless. The Specialized bibs slide down and deem themselves useless and even hang down at the crotch a little which makes them catch the nose of my saddle.

im wondering if i am just odd shaped or ordering wrong size or just ordering cheap junk that will not last. ( i know the canari shorts are cheap quality, i expected the specialized bibs to be a little better.)

any help would be appreciated. thanks guys!
    In addition to the other suggestions, you may need to shorten the bib straps. The bibs on an XL are going to be WAY long for a 5'8" rider.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    May 2009
    i always hang dry them, actually i hang dry all my cycling gear. I thought about shortening the bib straps, just havent tried it yet.

gmcttr, what brand and size do you wear, we sound to be somewhat the same size

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Pearl Izumi and Voler. Both in size large.

One Gear
    2nd on the Volers. Look for a sale and pick up a large. They are made for "average" riders, not skinny racers. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    FWIW...Voler is still having a 2 for 1 sale on a couple of items....Voler: Store - 2 For the Price of One! Voler Elite FS Men's Cycling Bib Short

mtbr member
    May 2009
    ordering a pair of Volers now. thanks

mtbr member
    shiggy has it right. 5'8" & 38w is not an off the rack sized bibshort.