Problem with Giro Mad Max Helmet.......rusting D-rings?- Mtbr.com

Apr 2004

Problem with Giro Mad Max Helmet.......rusting D-rings?

Hey guys,

Quick question.

I have an older (2003) I think Mad Max helmet that the D rings (moto rings) rusted. No the helmet isn't left outside and I'm always making sure to keep it clean but no matter what I clean the rust still comes. I dunno if it is rust but it does look like rust.

Any idea's how to remove it or what to spray/soak it in to get rid of it for good? I can't remove them from the fabric but it's driven me nuts!

Any help would be greatly appricated!

those are Rollercams...
    Use Naval Jelly to remove the rust, then wipe clean with alcohol to remove any residue. Dry thoroughly, then paint the rings. Testors(model paint) has a line of paint pens that would be perfect for the job.. Otherwise, remove the metal and replace them with plastic.

Truly a wealth of useless information.

http://blackdogadventureteam.blogspot.com/

Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by WTB-rider
    Use Naval Jelly to remove the rust, then wipe clean with alcohol to remove any residue. Dry thoroughly, then paint the rings. Testors(model paint) has a line of paint pens that would be perfect for the job.. Otherwise, remove the metal and replace them with plastic.
    I already have some of this stuff.......

http://www.bondo-online.com/catalog_...sp?itemNbr=580

It's bondo rust remover but it's suspose to be similar to that naval jelly stuff...you brush it on and let it sit, rub off, and you can clean and do whatever to it. If that doesn't work I'll see if I can hunt down some of this Naval Jelly and do that route.

The Paint pen idea is genius. I could spray it with spray paint that I have (rustoleum) stuff but if I can find a pen locally I'll grab one and try it. Hopefully it works!

Thanks again!

Members who have read this thread: 0