Preventing injuries with body armor- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2009

Preventing injuries with body armor

Downhill, All Mountain, Freeride, all these guys wear pads galore, serious helmets, etc. I was descending a tricky trail recently and at some speed tried to duck under a fat tree limb and it basically ripped my right arm out. I have now a bruised green shoulder and bicep. Nice tattoo from that tree. I got lucky. Rather than destroying my shoulder again, the force of the blow landed squarely on top and I kept going. This got me thinking. Why not wear some upper body armor? Shortsleeved style to protect shoulders and arms. Where I ride you are constantly in danger of hitting trees or going over the bars on drops. I'd call it technical riding with lots of chances to break your neck with flat inbetween.

Seems like the shortsleeved POC body armor top would be ideal under a sturdy jersey.

Am I going overkill to protect my shoulders or is armor just for the gofast guys?

mtbr member
    You have to decide based on your skill level and the terrain. To me, body armor is more scrape and rock protection then blunt impact protection though.

What might seem like dangerous riding to you, someone else might think nothing of.

mtbr member
    After falling just rulling a d/h drop in, I fractured my neck and back after going over the bars head first into granite. It took about 9 months before I was riding again. (i'm lucky, especially after reading the threads posted here.) Then in June this year fell on my side, bruising and probably fracturing my ribs and agravating my back again, I will not touch my mt. bike until I have a set of upper armor. and cervical brace. I also have knee/shin guards and will have elbow guards. I had been down these trails many time before the crashes, none seemed dangerouse to me before the crashes.

Well, to be safe and to fill in your idle time, you can take up racing rc cars, it doesn't hurt to crash these. I do, I race short course stadium trucks. It'll do until i'm ready to ride again.

jalepenio jimenez
    I was recently the victim of my own doing and took quite a hit to the ribs.

Now as I sit here contemplating the aftermath, do I wish I had had on some kind of upper-body protection that may have interceded on my behalf and prevented the broken ribs, cracked ribs, and bruised ribs that I am now living with.

I've got lots of time to look around on the internet for something practical and not too cumbersome. If anybody around here has any info, please let me know. Thanks.
    White Clouds - Heart of Idaho

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ALEV8
    Am I going overkill to protect my shoulders or is armor just for the gofast guys?
    No such thing as overkill. Wear what ever amount of armor you feel comfortable with. I wear knee / shin guards on almost all of my rides regardless. Occationally I will get an odd look from some lycra clad XC snob, but what do I care.

Members who have read this thread: 0