• 10-18-2018
    AZmuchacho
    Prescription Sunglass Frames - Recommendation Requested.
    My Maui Jim Prescription sun glasses finally bit it. They were ok for riding but not ideal.

Looking for frame recommendations for prescription sunglasses. will primarily be used for riding.

also, has anyone used any of the only glasses services that they would recommend?
  • 10-18-2018
    Organ
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AZmuchacho View Post
    My Maui Jim Prescription sun glasses finally bit it. They were ok for riding but not ideal.

Looking for frame recommendations for prescription sunglasses. will primarily be used for riding.

also, has anyone used any of the only glasses services that they would recommend?

happy with Rad8/mudhugger glasses. Why do so many bike glasses look like 80s leftovers?
  • 10-18-2018
    BmanInTheD
    I've had good luck with Oakley Crossrange and Field Jacket Rx sunglasses. Sport Rx did a couple and my local Rx shop did a couple. The Field Jackets with Prizm Trail Rx lenses look kinda dorky but have great visibility and clarity. They have a big viewing area, especially at the top, where a lot of glasses leave you looking into the middle of the upper frame.
    https://www.oakley.com/en-us/product...t=888392342423
    https://www.oakley.com/en-us/product...t=888392320773
  • 10-18-2018
    dbf909
    I've had great results with Oakley Flak 2.0xl frames and lenses with a Progressive Rx. I picked up a couple of frames on eBay (careful to get authentic stuff) for $40-55. I've ordered lenses from Oakley through SportRx, ordered lenses from Fuse, and ordered lenses locally (who actually got them from Fuse as well) and they all have worked out very well. Oakley says that their lenses for the Flaks are actually base 8.75 (curvature) but the Fuse lenses, which are base 8 are exactly the same shape, fit the frames perfectly, and are about half the price.

The fuses may be a bit "roady" looking but they work well for me both protection and vision. I now have 3 different frames and 4 sets of lenses that are super easy to swap in and out.

The only lenses that I've been a bit disappointed in are the transitions lenses I got which are B&L Vantage. The Rx is perfect but they just don't seem to get dark enough when it is cloudy out.

But I'm very happy with the Flak 2.0 frames - light, fit great, durable, and easy to change the lenses.
  • 10-18-2018
    drich
    I was wearing regular prescription sunglasses but over a year ago switched to Oakley racing jacket prizm trail. It's hard to describe what a huge difference these glasses have made in my ability to see features of the trail in a variety of conditions. These glasses have probably improved my riding over any other equipment I've purchased for mtnb. I live close to the Oakley store in So Ca and have a friend who worked there so I got a good deal.

https://www.oakley.com/en-us/product...t=888392262042
  • 10-19-2018
    Jayem
    Don't overthink this: https://www.zennioptical.com/

The glasses are going to get beat up anyway if you are using them for riding.
  • 10-19-2018
    HEMIjer
    Honestly I have a super expensive pair of Oakley racing jackets for riding but your best bet is look for a normal pair of glasses that fit sung but off your face a bit for breathability and fog reduction. Warap around sunglasses even high end vented ones still get too foggy for me to ride with most of the time.

Go with cheap walmart frames that bend back easily and get the frame and kenses warranty for 20$.
  • 10-19-2018
    J.B. Weld
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Don't overthink this: https://www.zennioptical.com/

The glasses are going to get beat up anyway if you are using them for riding.

x2^

It isn't so tragic when your $30 glasses get scratched up, just buy a few spares. If is no big deal ignore this and go for top shelf.
  • 10-21-2018
    Bikehopper
    Oakley Flak Jacket w/ trail prism lenses. Not cheap, but I have had them for 3 years, and still going strong.
  • 10-22-2018
    Sage of the Sage
    WileyX, Rudy Project, and ESS all make prescription-ready sunglasses and frames. WileyX and ESS are both ballistic rated, which affords a bit of extra protection to your peepers. I refuse to ride without a safety-rated lens... Iíve seen too many cars and trucks throw gravel and other debris at high speeds.
  • 10-22-2018
    ScottieM8
    +1 for zenni.com for glasses. Just make sure to order polycarbonate or Trivex lenses for impact resistance. I have ordered through fuse lenses, non Rx lenses, and fit on Oakley was good.
  • 10-22-2018
    Jayem
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sage of the Sage View Post
    Rudy Project,

I just checked out their site for a few seconds.

$580 prescription "sport" sunglasses. Are you F-ing kidding me? There aren't any diamonds or sapphires. What am I missing here?
  • 11-01-2018
    reidmorebooks
    Late to this, but I had great luck with WrapAround Safety Glasses they are wraparound and I get way less stuff fling up under, or in from the sides than I did with normal glasses. I think mine only cost like $120 or something.