Prefered type of light?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Prefered type of light?

I'm looking for a light to mount on my mountain bike or helmet because I'm tired of having to cut my weekday rides short. I've read the shootout but I guess what I really want is some feedback/suggestions on the lights that other riders are using. How many lumens is enough? Do you prefer to mount your light on your helmet or on your handlebars?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by jujup View Post
    I'm looking for a light to mount on my mountain bike or helmet because I'm tired of having to cut my weekday rides short. I've read the shootout but I guess what I really want is some feedback/suggestions on the lights that other riders are using. How many lumens is enough? Do you prefer to mount your light on your helmet or on your handlebars?
    Ask here: Lights and Night Riding - Mtbr Forums

I like a flood beam on the bars and a spot on the helmet.

I would use the shootout info to pick the brand(s)/model(s).
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I perfer bar mounted lights. With the bar mounted lights you get shadows on rocks, ruts, roots, dips, etc. With a helmet light you can't see the shadows becuase the shadows are inline with your eyes so everything looks flatter than it is. Also if you ride with a group dust becomes this thick fog and you can't see anything becuase the helmet light is reflecting it back at you. The bar mount does it also but since the light is so far away from you its not as bad.

Plus side to helmet lights is you don't have to point the bars to see so looking ahead in turns is alot easier.

Members who have read this thread: 0