• 08-15-2018
    TimTucker
    1 Attachment(s)
    Possible idea: rocker bottom cycling shoes?
    Have had an idea for a few years now and wondered if anyone else had considered the potential for a rocker bottom cycling shoe.

If you're not familiar with them, here's a brief animation that shows the difference in walking motion vs a traditional shoe:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gRnX4Ux68I

Having worn MBTs, one of the things that struck me was how little flex there was in the shoe while walking -- at the heart of the design, your foot stays pretty much flat within the upper and the whole shoe rolls (with most of the impact being absorbed in the heel).

The uncomfortable part about walking in most cycling shoes comes from the need to have a stiff sole to transfer power.

In a rocker-bottom cycling shoe the stiff interface between foot and pedal would no longer be a problem, since the upper wouldn't need to flex.

If done right, it could be comfortable enough to run in and eliminate the need for shoe transitions between running and cycling in triathalons.

Some of the possible challenges:
    * Coming up with a cleat attachment mechanism that could be embedded within the rocker-bottom sole (might need a completely new design)
    * Possibly higher stack height than many current shoes
    * An array of patents for rocker bottom shoes and cycling that you'd either need to license or design around

Attachment 1212293

(Forgive the poor MS-paint illustration -- hopefully it's enough to get the general idea across)
  • 08-15-2018
    Thoreau
    Seems like something for a roadie forum. Not a lotta triathlons being done on mountain bikes.

Can't really imagine much need/desire in the mtb world myself.
  • 08-15-2018
    Schulze
    I like the idea. Heck, I'm using VR90s on my road bike just so I can walk a bit better and not skate around like a fool.
  • 08-16-2018
    Nat
    The rockered portion of the outsole would interfere with the pedal platform surrounding the cleat mechanism. You wouldn't actually be able to clip in.
  • 08-16-2018
    TimTucker
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    The rockered portion of the outsole would interfere with the pedal platform surrounding the cleat mechanism. You wouldn't actually be able to clip in.

With most current mechanisms commonly in use that might be correct -- a variation on older designs that involved stepping down onto the pedal or something where the foot slides over the pedal from the side might be needed.

As some examples of designs that might be able to be adapted, see the CycleBinding 1986 example from Speedplay's history section:
    SPEEDPLAY : HIGH PERFORMANCE PEDALS

For a more recent example of a design that could likely be adapted, see the MagLock pedal:
    https://maglockbikepedal.com/
  • 08-16-2018
    Nat
    Even if you could figure out the rocker shoe-to-pedal compatibility, where's the benefit to a mountain biker? Transitions? What the heck are those?
  • 08-21-2018
    One Pivot
    No one runs in rocking shoes, im guessing for a very good reason.

This doesnt seem useful.
  • 08-21-2018
    someoldfart
    My old Carnac shoes from the 90’s were like this. You could replace the forefoot section for different cleat patterns. A lot of xc race shoes were like this and even today many have some rocker under the cleat area. Or the so called “Enduro” shoes are often a little more flexible under the toes for easier walking. Sidi has been making their race shoes with rocker in the mid sole as well as the outsole for years plus they are not super stiff.
  • 08-21-2018
    ridiculous