Possible Flat Shoe Idea- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2016

Possible Flat Shoe Idea

This may have come up before but I couldn't find it. So I'm browsing Walmart and this display of Slip Resistant shoes catches my eye. The brand is Tredsafe and they are for working in restaurants and such.

I'm thinking for $20-$30 it can't hurt to try out on some flat pedals. There are lots of different styles. They all have pretty flat soles. Obviously they are grippy and they seem pretty sturdy. Now I don't know how well the rubber would hold up over time and the soles aren't as stiff as my 5.10's but..... Could be a great beater shoe for weekend rides and save a little wear on your high dollar kicks. Let me know what you think.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kitch-Uni...Shoe/956848340

Possible Flat Shoe Idea-img_6949.jpg
    Last edited by CommOrange; 11-25-2018 at 08:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Looks interesting and it seems they stock some of them in stores so you try them on. Next time I happen to be in a Walmart I'll check them out.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 80garv View Post
    This may have come up before but I couldn't find it. So I'm browsing Walmart and this display of Slip Resistant shoes catches my eye. The brand is Tredsafe and they are for working in restaurants and such.

I'm thinking for $20-$30 it can't hurt to try out on some flat pedals. There are lots of different styles. They all have pretty flat soles. Obviously they are grippy and they seem pretty sturdy. Now I don't know how well the rubber would hold up over time and the soles aren't as stiff as my 5.10's but..... ]
    I did an after work DH run in my SAS work shoes one time when i forgot my 5.10ís, they gripped awesome! Upper not suited that great, let dirt and pine needles in, but it worked surprisingly well.
    Not exactly cheap, but for those who care, one of few shoes you can find made in USA.

mtbr member
    The product descriptions even has the word Enduropro in it, so they've gotta be awesome.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Make sure you come home with them in a brown paper bag large enough to wear over your head when you go riding in them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Nothing compares to stealth rubber, not even close, ever....for anti slip. Plenty of other options for features and styling, but if slip/grip is your main focus, stealth rubber is the only answer-hence the reason adidas bought fiveten.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I've tried various "non-slip" shoes from WalMart and they all have the same thing in common. The soles are not actual rubber but instead a foam material that is fiberglass or some other type of fiber filled.

The result with three different pairs of shoes was total shredding of the soles within an hour or so of trail riding on RF Chesters. One pair was so bad that the fibers literally tangled up in the pedal pins. All were pretty much a total disaster - destroyed in an hour or less. Afterward they looked like they had felt soles.

Make sure the soles are actual vulcanized rubber - most athletic shoes use alot of foam in their soles and some have actual rubber inserts in high wear locations. But pretty much all of the cheap shoes at WalMart are fiber-filled foam.

After wasting a lot of time and $ trying to find some cheap WalMart shoes for trail riding, I sprung for the 5-10s with Stealth soles and haven't looked back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stiksandstones View Post
    Nothing compares to stealth rubber, not even close, ever....for anti slip. Plenty of other options for features and styling, but if slip/grip is your main focus, stealth rubber is the only answer-hence the reason adidas bought fiveten.
    Bontrager makes a great flat shoe as well.