Poll: Gloves or No Gloves when riding- Mtbr.com

Poll: Gloves or No Gloves

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Jul 2008

Poll: Gloves or No Gloves when riding

I have never used gloves when riding, but just recently started thinking about getting some, just not sure.

If you do wear them, what kind do you wear?

mtbr member
    The first time you go down without em will be the last time you ride without em!
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I've ripped the little gel inserts of gloves before in crashes. Saved a lot of skin on my hands.

mtbr member
    Its a strange feeling riding without gloves. I kinda feel naked in a strange way..

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pop_martian
    The first time you go down without em will be the last time you ride without em!
    Yep

What gloves you wear is about 1% as important as the fact that you are wearing some at all. I cannot imagine riding without them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Yeah gotta wear the gloves I need all the material I can get to wipe sweet away be it gloves or my shirts.

rides with camera
    I`ll wear them even when I`m taking the kids around the block .
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Gloves are an important safety item like my helmet. There's some nerves in your hands that are close to the skin and you do not want to damage them. Road rash also takes longer to heal on parts of your body that always move, like your hands.

I wear stubby gloves with leather palms most of the time. When it's chilly I have some sixsixone full fingers from chainlove.

The White Jeff W
    Last summer I picked up a pair of Reebok football receivers gloves at the outlets for $10 bucks. They have a rubberized palm & give great grip.

For the winter I picked up a pair of Under Armor Cold Gear football gloves and wore them into the low 20's and only a couple times had cold fingers, but only once cold enough to be really uncomfortable.

No moss...

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I think it is a mental thing as well. When you know you are protected you can go into warrior mode and ride like your hair is on fire. If you go down, no big deal.....most of the time. It really is to me a different mental state and focus when riding. Racing motorcycles was the same. When you strap up the boots, throw a leg over the seat and tighten up that helmet, it was time for battle and no way you can ever think about going down or getting hurt. It was all part of it and to be expected at some point. Biking is similar, to a lesser extent for sure, but the mentality is still there.

mtbr member
    I wear full finger gloves year round.
    :wq

mtbr member
    In my opinion, gloves are the 2nd most important piece of safety gear you wear.

mtbr member
    I only wear gloves when Im dirt jumping or downhilling. Its not that i dont need all the protection i can get, because i do. The reason I dont wear them while riding/racing xc is that my hands sweat alot, and my hands get way too hot. And I definitley dont wear them while road riding!!! go ahead, yell at me i know you guys are going to.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Destin
    I only wear gloves when Im dirt jumping or downhilling. Its not that i dont need all the protection i can get, because i do. The reason I dont wear them while riding/racing xc is that my hands sweat alot, and my hands get way too hot. And I definitley dont wear them while road riding!!! go ahead, yell at me i know you guys are going to.
    My hands don't over heat, but with 3/4 length gloves sweat would run down my fingers and make everything slippery. That's why I switched to full length.

mtbr member
    not wearing gloves is asking for trouble. Destin accepts the risks... but i have had hands chewed up pretty bad and wouldnt ride without them - even for road riding. that said, i have had to try several types of gloves to find ones that are comfy and arent too warm. right now i like fox gloves.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Evo.
    Its a strange feeling riding without gloves. I kinda feel naked in a strange way..

amen brother lol

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    well i dont wear gloves yet.

Ive been meaning to get some but have yet to do so.

I do however tape up my fingers and thumbs because riding for a long time kills me fingers and starts to make them blister and the taping helps but i need to get some gloves.

Jul 2008
    I don't have the blister problem. I work construction and climb occasionally so my fingers are tough as nails, haha, but for general protection I think the gloves would be a worthwhile investment.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gr8outdrsmn
    I don't have the blister problem. I work construction and climb occasionally so my fingers are tough as nails, haha, but for general protection I think the gloves would be a worthwhile investment.
    well your lucky. but they are good overall protect.

mtbr member
    I can't even remember the last time I rode without gloves.. for any trip, short or long. Always full finger as well. Wouldnt ride without them.
    2013 Cannondale F29 2
    2013 Giant Seek 0
    2010 Specialized SX Trail
    2009 Cannondale Rize 4

May 2008
    I prefer full-fingered ventilated mx gloves like Answer Alpha Air and Thor AC.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Destin
    I'm EXACTLY like you, right down to riding the road bike gloveless.
    "Do not touch the trim"

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    I wear gloves every time, all the time. I wear gloves when mowing the lawn, raking leaves, just about any time I am using my hands.

My hands are still soft and smooth. My wife prefers them that way when I touch her in certain places....

Old man on a bike
    Didn't ride with gloves for many years but went down in some loose stuff on the side of a highway on a road bike and learned the benefits of having your hands protected since then...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dave54
    I wear gloves every time, all the time. I wear gloves when mowing the lawn, raking leaves, just about any time I am using my hands.

My hands are still soft and smooth. My wife prefers them that way when I touch her in certain places....
    Her elbow?

Ride on
    Jan 2004
    I used to ride with half-fingered gloves way back, but full-finger are more comfortable for me even when it's hot. Gloves seem like more of a personal choice than a necessary piece of safety equipment. But they're like real cycling shorts with a chamois - once you try them you'll wonder why you ever rode without them.

Ride Good or Eat Wood
    Used to wear light weight gloves till I got sticked whilst riding and ripped open the back of my hand. Now wear some Impac DH-3 gloves, they have carbon guards on the knuckles and are a full glove. Never ride without them. Same for shin/knee pads and elbow pads..... lifes too short to waste having to sit out with injury!!
    "Though my life is changing fast,
    My roots are planted in the past,
    Who I am, is who I want to be
    "

mtbr member
    My hands got wet with my gloves on my last ride and I could hardly keep them on the bars. I use mechanics gloves (I forget the brand, impact gun version but not mechanix brand). Comfy but now I am shopping for something else..

mtbr member
    I wear gloves when I ride anywhere but don't like gloves with padding in the palms.
    Been using Azonic Talon gloves for last 2 seasons but it lacks in durability. Can anyone suggest a durable, pad-less pair of cycling gloves?

mtbr member
    I always wear gloves, I still use the first pair I got, pretty happy with them. It's a pair of BBB's full finger summer gloves. They are very well ventilated (sides of fingers are mesh and the top part material breathes too), have towel fabtic on the side (so you can wipe your sweaty forehead) and leather-like palms with gel cushioning. I feel more "connected" to the bike with gloves on and grips don't get slippery from sweaty hands. They're too chilly for really cold winter days, but they're perfect as an allround glove.Thay also have some cushioning on the knuckles, so there is some (basic) protection in case of a wipe out.
    And most important - they match the color of my bike (as most of my bike wear)!
    I see BBB don't do the same model anymore, but I'd gladly get something similar when these wear out.

Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Memphis_Buckeye
    In my opinion, gloves are the 2nd most important piece of safety gear you wear.
    Id say that id have to agree. It took 1 crash for me to start wearing them, and now riding without them just feels weird. I use full and cut finger gloves depending on the weather.

NMBP
    I never wore gloves for years because I couldn't find any that didn't cut off the circulation in my hands and make my fingers go numb. Crashing wasn't a problem because I never let go of the grips when I crash.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

Vita brevis
    If I don't wear gloves with gel inserts I get palmar paralysis.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    This thread reminded me of a crash I had where the palm of my left hand came down on something sharp. Probably a rock. It ripped my glove open starting from under my index finger and running diagonal down to the other side. I've still got the scar on the bottom half of my palm, but just think how bad it would have been without a glove.
    Gloves? Always.

little mad riding hood
    Jun 2004
    I wear fullfinger gloves 100% of the time, road riding, fixie riding, cyclocross, track or MTB. It only takes one crash, either in a criterium or on a rock garden, to teach you that yes, as stated above, gloves are the 2nd most important piece of equipment you can use.

SixSixOne Raji gloves for me, I wear 'em road racing too.

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I always wear gloves when riding a bike. On my road bike I use cycling half finger gloves and on my mountain bike I use an older pair of Mechanix Wear Series 3.0 full finger gloves. These work great for mountain biking except that there's no terry cloth on the back to wipe your sweat with. It does have armor on the back of the glove for some protection there and the palm is lightly padded. The mesh on the back side of the glove keeps my hands from getting too sweaty, too.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Always,with very few exceptions.

I currently wear a pair of Trek brand fingerless...I got em on sale last season,to have a spare set,and lost one of my regular ones. I'm thinking about getting a pair of those nifty full fingered Fox's with the Dirt Rag logo soon tho.
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

Caca pasa
    Full-finger gloves, all the time, even in summer.

Just bought a pair of CLC Handymans from Home Depot. $11.

"합니다 행사에서 디비 판매 합니다 관련해" Lesleybien

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    ^^^^
    +1

Full fingered gloves ALL the time. My hands have never been happier especially when I crash!

Members who have read this thread: 0