Pogies of choice?- Mtbr.com
    high pivot witchcraft

Pogies of choice?

I am rocking the 45 North Cobrafists this winter. Holy crap are they awesome. In minus 18 C temps today, my hands were almost too warm, wearing very lightweight winter gloves.

Really solid design as well with the cinch cords on the openings, the ventilating zippers and the small pockets on the inside.

Outstanding.

What pogies are you using, and how would you rate them?

Rollin 29s
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    I am rocking the 45 North Cobrafists this winter. Holy crap are they awesome. In minus 18 C temps today, my hands were almost too warm, wearing very lightweight winter gloves.

Really solid design as well with the cinch cords on the openings, the ventilating zippers and the small pockets on the inside.

Outstanding.

What pogies are you using, and how would you rate them?
    I used Sportsman’s Guide moose mitts when I lived in Minnesota. I rode all winter a few times per week at night mostly. My hands were too warm above zero with anything heavier than glove liners. Negative 15f was the coldest night ride, and they were great. Never had to use the chemical hand warmer pocket.

I have never heard of an ineffective pair of moose mitts. As long as they have the basics, like conch cords, warmer pockets and they are designed to allow you to pull your hands out quickly in the event of a fall, you are good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whoever invented the bicycle deserves the thanks of humanity.
    - Lord Charles Beresford

Elitest thrill junkie
    One huge (IME) advantage of the Dogwood pogies is their ability to be "rolled up"/turned inside out. This means when your hands start getting hot, either because you are working hard or the temp is only a bit below freezing, you can roll them up to expose your gloves, regulate your heat, and keep your fingers dry. While these are the most popular pogies around here, it seems like many people don't realize you can do this with them. I also bought some revelate expedition ones for the ultra-cold, but that's going to be more for days that start out at -25°C and just get colder from there. Many of the others like Revelate, 45N, etc., are all far more rigid and do not allow you to adjust nearly as well for warmer temps. This also allows you to have an extra safety-net when it's slightly warmer and you think you can run with just some thin gloves.

The Dogwoods also come in an extra-insulated "plus" model: https://www.907bikes.com/product-pag...er-plus-pogies

Rolled up:

Pogies of choice?-img_5904.jpg

I think the Dogwoods are the most versatile for most situations, otherwise some of the heavier ones like the Revelate Expeditions make sense when you know it's going to be well below -18C all the time and possibly much colder. Coldest I've ridden the regular Dogwoods was about -29°C.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

since 4/10/2009
    Homemade ones. Too warm to use above 20F, even with summer gloves. Above that, I just wear a slightly warmer long finger glove (but not a true "winter" glove).

DIY Mountain Bike Pogies – The GPS Geek

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    One huge (IME) advantage of the Dogwood pogies is their ability to be "rolled up"/turned inside out. This means when your hands start getting hot, either because you are working hard or the temp is only a bit below freezing, you can roll them up to expose your gloves, regulate your heat, and keep your fingers dry. While these are the most popular pogies around here, it seems like many people don't realize you can do this with them. I also bought some revelate expedition ones for the ultra-cold, but that's going to be more for days that start out at -25°C and just get colder from there. Many of the others like Revelate, 45N, etc., are all far more rigid and do not allow you to adjust nearly as well for warmer temps. This also allows you to have an extra safety-net when it's slightly warmer and you think you can run with just some thin gloves.

The Dogwoods also come in an extra-insulated "plus" model: https://www.907bikes.com/product-pag...er-plus-pogies

Rolled up:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5904.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	383.2 KB 
ID:	1234203

I think the Dogwoods are the most versatile for most situations, otherwise some of the heavier ones like the Revelate Expeditions make sense when you know it's going to be well below -18C all the time and possibly much colder. Coldest I've ridden the regular Dogwoods was about -29°C.
    Wow. I hadn't heard of Dogwoods but yes - turning them inside out would be a very useful feature for me at times.

That said, I am blown away by the Cobrafists.

The only issue I am having is that the interior donut is apparently messing with my rear d cable - since installing them, I am now ghost shifting at times (usually at the worst times, including while climbing).

We have had an extraordinarily warm winter this year. The warmest I can recall in the last 25 years. I am still waiting for the usual minus 35 temps to arrive so that I can REALLY try out the Cobrafists.

I thought 45 North was a really good choice for pogies. I wonder now whether I may be overlooking other (and maybe better) options for the bitter cold temps. Jayem - I suspect I would benefit hugely by seeing a list of your minus 20-25 go to attire (although I guess I can connect the dots with a number of your posts on the topic).

In my neck of the woods, the serious and frequent winter riders are all running 45 North Cobrafists.

EDIT: the other thing about those Dogwoods is that it looks like they may not be affixed to the bar ends. That would be good. My hands are always JAMMED against the outside edge of the Cobrafists to facilitate braking and shifting. It gets to be a little uncomfortable after a while. Maybe I just need to move my levers inboard a bit.

Elitest thrill junkie
    They are not affixed to the end of the handlebars normally, although I have a very early model and they may have a better way of dealing with this. Because they are not as rigid, they tend to sag and I affixed little loops inside the pogies and little slots on my handle-bar ends that I can put the loops through to "hold them up higher". But that's relatively easy to address with a few different ideas (like you could put a button in there maybe) and the newer ones may have a much better way of doing this anyway.

The 45NRTH and Revelate ones are very popular around here too, not quite as much as the Dogwoods, but not scare by any means. I also find pogies are a great place to store fuel during a race (wash them before and after), just dump a bunch of gel bites in there and they stay warm and pliable and it minimizes how much you have to fumble and reach on your bike, which means you stay warmer.

Every year before winter I cut out some foam to jam into the openings where the pogies cinch down on the cables/controls, just to get as much sealing as possible.

There are definitely some negatives with the Dogwoods, but I find the ability to roll them inside out and essentially ride with "no pogies" to be well worth it, but for colder and slower stuff (non-race) I think there are better choices. Most of these 2nd gen pogies are much more rigid, heavier, etc. Those have good and bad traits.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

This place needs an enema
    I rode with the Dogwoods for ~7 or 8 years. They are decent. Plenty warm. Didn't ever take advantage of rolling them up on the bars -- if it was that warm I'd just ride with my hands outside the pogies for a bit. I hated how they just flopped down when you removed your hands.

A few friends have the 45N variants. I don't understand the need to make them so complex, and thus heavy. Can't see what tangible benefits are afforded in so doing.

I have a few pairs of the Revelate. Full disclosure -- I helped with a small component of the design their Expedition versions. For arctic use they are unparalleled.

For everyday use I like the Williwaw version.

Elitest thrill junkie
    /Thread

Pogies of choice?-img_6053.jpg

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    ...A few friends have the 45N variants. I don't understand the need to make them so complex, and thus heavy. Can't see what tangible benefits are afforded in so doing...
    I didn't appreciate they were heavy. Or complex. That said, this is my first winter with any pogies of any variety so I don't have a benchmark. What are the complexities to which you refer?

One thing I do like is that I can ride in way sub-zero temps with a pair of light liner gloves on. But maybe that is the same for all decent pogies.

mtbr member
    Anyone tried out the cheap pogies available on amazon? And how do I translate mtbr threads from celcius to farenheight?

mtbr member
    "And how do I translate mtbr threads from celcius to farenheight?"

Celsius temp x2 +30 = Fahrenheit roughly
    EXODUX Jeff