POC VPD Air Knee Pads- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member since 1996

POC VPD Air Knee Pads

I heard great things about these and picked up a pair from Backcountry (on sal for $50). The problem I have is they bunch up behind my knee and I had a 0.25”x0.75” raw spot behind my knee from rubbing.

I am 6’4” and 180 and a Medium fits best. Skinny knees and calves with proportionally thicker thighs. So the flexy elastic slips down and bunches behind the knee.

If if I pull them up higher it helps but then ldoesnt protect my knee as much in a crash.

Next XT step is to try taking the Velcro strap out of the backing so it all doesn’t pull down (if you can visualize that).

Anyone else use these pads and have this issue? Any solutions? Any suggestions on similar light pads that may fit tall skulls guys better?
    My Wife's Channel for Women - LadyMTB

mtbr member
    I had the standard v2.0 knee pads, and my first couple of rides with them also caused the rubbing on the creases behind my knee.
    I contacted poc mentioning that I may have ordered the wrong size.
    They told me no that's the right size and to give them a little time.
    I left the area to heal, then my next few rides I used some anti rub cream, then I stopped using that and all has been fine more then 3 years later.
    I have worn them on every ride and the Velcro straps are not really working any more.
    But they fit my knees fine and not looking to replace them any time soon.
    Stick with it, or skin will get stronger in that area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ambassador of Chub
    There's a lot to like about the POC Air pads, but I've experienced the same bunching behind the knee that many others have reported. It's also strictly a knee pad, and I'm I'm going to wear something for protection on my lower legs, I prefer something that is long enough to protect my knees and at least the upper half of my shin.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

mtbr member since 1996
    Quote Originally Posted by Rootsboy View Post
    I had the standard v2.0 knee pads, and my first couple of rides with them also caused the rubbing on the creases behind my knee.
    I contacted poc mentioning that I may have ordered the wrong size.
    They told me no that's the right size and to give them a little time.
    I left the area to heal, then my next few rides I used some anti rub cream, then I stopped using that and all has been fine more then 3 years later.
    I have worn them on every ride and the Velcro straps are not really working any more.
    But they fit my knees fine and not looking to replace them any time soon.
    Stick with it, or skin will get stronger in that area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks, I'll give that a try. Good to know it is short term...maybe!
    My Wife's Channel for Women - LadyMTB

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I'll never understand why MTB pads don't have the back of the joint cut out for airflow and to stop bunching. That's what keeps me not geared up.

Trying to purchase the new Dainese Trail skin 2 LITES for just this reason but sizing is very limited at this time as it's very new I guess.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Some do, but, generally when you cut out the back or design a pad without back panel (behind the knee) you get less of a full wrap-or tendency to slip down...with that being said, with the RIGHT material in that zone, you can get a pad that wont chafe/rash.

Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    I'll never understand why MTB pads don't have the back of the joint cut out for airflow and to stop bunching. That's what keeps me not geared up.

Trying to purchase the new Dainese Trail skin 2 LITES for just this reason but sizing is very limited at this time as it's very new I guess.

mtbr member since 1996
    After half a dozen or less rides (I don't always wear them) they fit and feel MUCH better. I do have a mark/scar? on the back of both knees where they did rub the skin raw. However now they don't hurt and I barely know they are there. This time of year its a nice knee warmer and definitely is nice on the rocky stuff I've been riding lately. I would recommend them to others with the caveat that the first few rides won't feel great.