POC Tectal Owners / Potential Buyers- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

POC Tectal Owners / Potential Buyers

If your helmet feels too low on your forehead, there's an adjustment in the back of the helmet that allows you to tilt it up or down. It has 3 positions and mine came in the position that results in the lowest placement on the forehead. Can't remember if I read the manual, so this may have been mentioned in there, but I've been using the helmet for a while now and only just discovered this lol. It fits so much better and no longer interferes with my glasses.

POC Tectal Owners / Potential Buyers-poc.jpg

LCW
    mtbr member
    Yup - discovered this when trying them out... good catch.

Santa Cruz Hightower LT
    Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

Ride More - Suffer Less
    Wow nice feature! Thanks, need to find a deal on that lid!

LCW
    mtbr member
    The downside of this... the adjuster wheel gets partially obstructed by the back of the helmet. Makes it harder to adjust while on your head.

Santa Cruz Hightower LT
    Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks for this! I moved the visor all the way up, but it has still felt strangely low. Hopefully mine is in the low forehead position too.

mtbr member
    Regardless of which setting you have this in, this helmet won't work with Oakley Radar Path sunglasses. The side of the helmet rest on both arms and it unfortunately doesn't work for me. It's a great helmet that fits well, but didn't work for me.

Formerly dvo
    I have this helmet and discovered that adjustment unfortunately as mentioned above the adjustment wheel is then unusable with the helmet on your head and the helmet still feels somewhat low on my forehead. I want to like this helmet but I have gone back to my Trabec for now.
    I'm the problem....

mtbr member
    First ride yesterday with my new Tectal and found the rear adjuster wheel getting loose all the time, not like my other Giro helmets whose adjuster keep locked.
    Another buyer is asking about this on amazon.

Is this normal on Trabec/helmets?
    I am thinking of returning it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    There is something wacky in the retention system of this helmet. I started with the medium (m/l? can't remember), and the system disengages when you pull the helmet forward. A lot of people just said to size down, so I exchanged. Well, it's an improvement, as in, the helmet can't disengage as much when the helmet is smaller, but I think I really needed the larger size. Great helmet, lousy retention system. Seems like a good brand, but would hesitate to spend that kind of money again.
    2018 Surly Karate Monkey 'dingle' speed
    2013 CAADX 105
    2012 Pinarello Quattro
    2002 Zurich LeMond

Formerly dvo
    If you are having these problems I would encourage you to reach out to POC USA customer service. They have been very good to deal with.
    I'm the problem....

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I almost returned mine (size L) due to not having discovered the adjuster in the back. It came default in its lowest setting which sat even with my eyebrows.

After having adjusted it to the highest setting, it now sits with a little over a finger's width above my brow. While the height feels right, the tightness is an issue. I wear a 7 3/8 cap and at its tightest setting, there's just a small tad of play. I already put in thicker pads. I truly like this helmet, so I bought a thin sweatband to hopefully fill that bit of play.

I tried my buddy's TLD A2 (also large) and it fits like a dream. Plenty of adjustment left. Though the POC gives the impression it provides more coverage.

The Orange Bikes USA guy
    Just in case anyone is interested, you pry that center piece off using a screwdriver, slide the adjustment down, and then re-snap the center piece back in.
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

Bike Junkie
    Glad I found this thread. I just used the helmet last night on a night ride and too low and no glasses (Oakley Radarlocks). I was about to put it up on the high shelf.

UPDATE: after making the adjustment - use a flat head screwdriver to pry off the retention plate. the default was in the middle and after trying both ends the difference is mm. it definitely helped with the back of my head where I would push up and it would tilt the helmet further on my eyebrow so now less so.

the riding glasses - still an issue. but not on the temple but the arm length so depending on your head shape it might be all good.

I appreciate the extra adjustability.
    Last edited by BlackOut; 06-22-2017 at 09:32 AM.
    See You On The Trails!

Dan
    Apr 2004
    you dont need to pry anything off, just grab the plate and push down or up...

mtbr member
    Thank you for nice info. Just bought from Wiggle, at close to half of the recommended price, a Tectal Race and expect it to arrive next week.
    it is harder to get fit than to stay fit.

You have only one brain: protect it!

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by las-palmas View Post
    Thank you for nice info. Just bought from Wiggle, at close to half of the recommended price, a Tectal Race and expect it to arrive next week.
    Yeah same here, just got my Tectal Race from Competitive Cyclist ($116!!!) and I'll have to play around with that adjustment.

This is my first MTB helmet though and I didn't realize how huge it is haha. Definitely have a mushroom head effect going on, although it doesn't help that I have a big head anyway (60-61cm) so I needed an XL/XXL. Also from what I've seen POC has this aesthetic anyway so whatever, the helmet is comfy, looks good, and was cheap-ish.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by de00304 View Post
    you dont need to pry anything off, just grab the plate and push down or up...
    How hard do you have to be with the helmet? Just received mine today and it is in the middle position, want to get it a bit higher on the forehead.

mtbr member
    Great thread! My Tectal sat WAY too low, so I kitted it out with thicker pads and that worked, but I always thought I was missing something, or my head shape was weird (yea I know!). I tried to adjust the back when I bought it but I couldn't get it the thing to budge. When I read "flat blade screwdriver" I knew it needed some persuasion! Now I'm back to the regular stock pads and it fits MUCH better! Thanks OP!
    Santa Fe, NM

mtbr member
    What a great helmet. Even beat the POC Octal except that it is a bit heavier.

After a Crash I needed a new helmet and decided to go for a helmet a bit heavier and maybe (I hope) better protecting. Does not feel heavier when on the head and fit better. More or less same ventilation, at least downhill, up when going very slow no helmet is ventilated anyway. Easier to adjust and straps are really nice. No problems with sunglasses.
    Reason I write this 4 months after buying it is that my head, ribs and shoulders first now allow me to ride again.

I really liked the Tectal Race but feel better in the 6D ATB-1T EVO. Customers service from POC is not worth writing home about, the guy I once talked with from 6D was a lot more friendly and helpful. Does not come with a bag, so I use the one from POC.

POC Tectal Owners / Potential Buyers-6d-.jpg
    Last edited by 6D ATB-1T EVO; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
    Glad I found this thread. I just used the helmet last night on a night ride and too low and no glasses (Oakley Radarlocks). I was about to put it up on the high shelf.

UPDATE: after making the adjustment - use a flat head screwdriver to pry off the retention plate. the default was in the middle and after trying both ends the difference is mm. it definitely helped with the back of my head where I would push up and it would tilt the helmet further on my eyebrow so now less so.

the riding glasses - still an issue. but not on the temple but the arm length so depending on your head shape it might be all good.

I appreciate the extra adjustability.

Mine fit with Oakley Radarlock XL and Radar XL as well as UVEX Sportstyle 202.
    The UVEX will fit any helmet though and they are just as good as the expensive Oakley.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    A very helpful thread, thanks guys!

GALATIANS 2:20
    Jun 2007
    LOL, I got my Tectal last week and it sat waaaay low on front and but the circumference fit was brilliant! I have HUGE probs finding a helmet that fits. The only helmet that ever fit perfect was the Giro Xen, but at 13 yr old it needed to be retired.

So, I was bummed but got extra pads for front and was going to customize when a buddy who rides pro and has worn POC for years laughed and showed me the rear adjustment. My helmet had NO INSTRUCTIONS and I can't find anything on their website on how to adjust.

Now it fits great. A wee, wee low in front, but not anything bothersome. Yes when you have rear (did not need screwdriver) adjusted to move it front up it is difficult to adjust rear wheel, but big whoop. Fit is great and it breathes better than the Troy Lee and feels to me lighter weight. Chin strap is euro style that is used on Petzl Ecrin Roc climbing helmets which is great, strong and simple.

The SPIN system so far is much better than the MIPS which wobbles too much and the SPIN feels good and solid. I would actually avoid the MIPS just because it annoys me more than I think it would help.

I wear Oakley M-Frame Alphas and Radars. No bike helmet works with the M-Frame Alphas, the Radars work OK, but they do put a bit of pressure on the temples. Undecided if its a problem. So far I only notice it when putting them on before ride, not while riding, but have not gone on any long rides yet. So, we will see...

Comes with a decent helmet bag. For the price I think the helmet bag should be lightly padded, but still better than no helmet bag.
    God Bless
    Critter Cameraman

Galatians 2:20*

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Critter Cameraman View Post
    LOL, I got my Tectal last week and it sat waaaay low on front and but the circumference fit was brilliant! I have HUGE probs finding a helmet that fits. The only helmet that ever fit perfect was the Giro Xen, but at 13 yr old it needed to be retired.

So, I was bummed but got extra pads for front and was going to customize when a buddy who rides pro and has worn POC for years laughed and showed me the rear adjustment. My helmet had NO INSTRUCTIONS and I can't find anything on their website on how to adjust.

Now it fits great. A wee, wee low in front, but not anything bothersome. Yes when you have rear (did not need screwdriver) adjusted to move it front up it is difficult to adjust rear wheel, but big whoop. Fit is great and it breathes better than the Troy Lee and feels to me lighter weight. Chin strap is euro style that is used on Petzl Ecrin Roc climbing helmets which is great, strong and simple.

The SPIN system so far is much better than the MIPS which wobbles too much and the SPIN feels good and solid. I would actually avoid the MIPS just because it annoys me more than I think it would help.

I wear Oakley M-Frame Alphas and Radars. No bike helmet works with the M-Frame Alphas, the Radars work OK, but they do put a bit of pressure on the temples. Undecided if its a problem. So far I only notice it when putting them on before ride, not while riding, but have not gone on any long rides yet. So, we will see...

Comes with a decent helmet bag. For the price I think the helmet bag should be lightly padded, but still better than no helmet bag.
    I felt compelled to comment because I picked up a Tectal last summer, and the helmet it retired was a Giro Xen from 2008.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I use mine with the setting out of the box, fits perfect. Mine is the Tectal Race Spin model, which not sure if the fit is any different.
    I use Oakley Jawbreakers or the Racing Jackets with no problems
    EXODUX Jeff