pls recommend me a safe cycling eyeglass that is also suited for casual wear- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2014

pls recommend me a safe cycling eyeglass that is also suited for casual wear

So I crashed

and the helmet saved my head

but my glasses

caused this =(

any safer eyeglass type to recommend?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Yep, I wear prescription sports sunglasses. They take the normal Bolle / Oakley / what ever other brand you like sunglasses, remove the lenses and replace them with safe, shatterproof prescription lenses. Choose the ones that fit you the best. Not every style can take prescription lenses but most can. I fit them with transitions lenses so if it gets a bit dark or overcast while I am riding I can still see.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Will Oakley crosslink do? I believe the point where the sides broke caused the cut (9 STITCHES!!). LUcky it hit my eyebrow and not my eye

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Upon inspection of the glasses, i believe this is the part that caused the cut.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Your optometrist or glasses store will be able to tell you which frames can be fitted with your prescription lenses but I know that the Oakley crosslink frames can be fitted with just about any prescription. Will be much more comfortable to ride in than your regular glasses as well.

Looks like a nasty gash - glad it didnt get your eye - very lucky.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    very lucky indeed. The doc said it was very deep, took him a while to stitch me up. imagine if it were a bit lower. YIKES!

Rent this space for $
    Way to cheat death! That looks like a nasty hit that your helmet absorbed.

I've been checked recently and for the first time in my 52 years, aside from needing simple 2.0 reader bifocals, I now have a need for Rx glasses and I'm shopping the sports type. I caught an ad in the back of Bicycling (which I get for free for some odd reason) and this place can set you up with virtually ANY make of frame. My personal feeling is paying big dollars for this Oakley crap is just plain silly but whatever floats your boat. Here's the link...

Prescription Sunglasses, Prescription Eyewear Online | SportRx

btw...I'd be interested in the specifics surrounding your unfortunate get-off. Was it on road or mountain?

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Wow glad your eye was saved man.

Honestly, even sports glasses can do that to you. I'm wearing my goggles more and more now when I go hard, I think goggles are safer because
    A) The outer frame is softer, as no hard surfaces or sharp edges, and is more compliant when it takes impact, hence less likely to cut you.
    B) the outer rim / frame is further from the perimeter of your eyes
    C) the frame holds the lens much further off your face, and, would have to significantly compress to allow the lens to go into your eye.

You can use contacts with goggles and be safer.

Also, you can get prescription ski goggles (which are double-layer lens, and hotter) - I'm wondering if anyone makes MTB prescription goggles?

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    Wow, that was a close call...

I also ruined once 2k usd frame, not as much as you did, just chipped it, but still it was unwearable. Since then, I ride with prescription pro gear vision glasses. It's better than sunglasses option, because it has rubber pads on problematic areas. Bit heavy, but absolutely safe and can take abuse.

Progear Vision

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    btw...I'd be interested in the specifics surrounding your unfortunate get-off. Was it on road or mountain?
    I just finished the trails and on my way home. Normally I ride a mix of pavement and road. That road I was on was wide but relatively empty. I forgot why, but normally Id be near the pavement when Im on the road but this time I was in the middle lane (I totally forgot why). Or maybe cos it was approaching an intersection thats why the lane I was became middle

Anyway, a lorry came out of nowhere by my side just as I wanted to go change lane and my handlebar got clipped and I fell

Im not really sure what happened next. All I remember is I fell and was cursing "WTF! WTF!" as blood was gushing from my forehead

The doctor asked me if I passed out, to be honest Im not sure but I didnt feel any head pain at all with the exception of the cut above my eyebrow

Other than that, I have abrasions to my knee and the shirt tore around my shoulder and I also had abrasions there. No broken bones (Thank God!) though I may have a bruised rib (or whatever, the doc didnt say what it was he just said the x-ray result was fine) and a bruised right thumb (dunno why, all my inuries/abrasions are on the left side of my body only)

The doc stitched the wound (9 stitches) and gave me anti tetanus jab and some antibiiotics

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Re: pls recommend me a safe cycling eyeglass that is also suited for casual wear

Glad you are going to be OK.

Is there any reason you can't wear contact lenses? Check them out. Looking at the photo of your glasses, you appear to be nearsighted, as am I. The image through contact lenses will be larger. And no worries about fogging & getting dirty. I switched to contacts and will never go back. I haven't owned a pair of glasses in years.

For biking, you have an endless selection of non-prescription sunglasses or safety glasses to choose from.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Im just not ready(scared) for the hassle and issues that go with using contacts =(

Rent this space for $
    Quote Originally Posted by waway625 View Post
    Im just not ready(scared) for the hassle and issues that go with using contacts =(
    I'm 52 and STILL cannot wrap my head around poking things in to my eye!

Yeah!
    I've used oakley since 1990 and have nothing bad to say about the three pairs of M-frames I've tried to destroy. The frame wraps around your skull, nothing jutting out far enough to break off, and it's a soft plastic that bends quite a bit. The lenses are not capable of being broken from my experience, not even in winter, not even after 24 years. The frame I purchased in 1993 did harden over time and crack, but good 'ol oakley honored their warranty, over a decade later. Scan your receipt, then toss it in the box and put the box in storage.

Pricey, yes, but if you take care of them, they last forever. My second pair cost me $6.80/yr. First pair lost to the sea. Second pair stolen... at the sea... after 20 years of use. Order direct from oakley, eyeglass stores rake you over the coals, and they can't fake direct from oakley.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I too also use Oakleys. I ended up being a guinea pig for their first run at prescription M frames. They were neat single layer lens but the insert would crack the outer lens. I now use Flak Jackets and now that they make Asian fit they almost fit my face shape. The frames being flexible plastic are less likely to cause as much damage, although I had a friend get a pretty nasty cut on face from the edge of a Oakley lens.
    Road riding is dangerous, I've been hurt more road riding than trail.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Seriously considering Oakley until I came along this

brand is IC berlin...Video looks awesome. Do you guys think its a good safety feature? I dont mind if its slightly more expensive if its safer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOaN-u2o6Ao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avpCFuzDx8o

or how about this?
    Photochromic Multilaser Clear-RX - Graphite - Zyon -
    Last edited by waway625; 10-18-2014 at 06:30 AM.

mtbr member
    I had a set of polycarbonate framed sport glasses done up years ago, almost indestructible, could bend and twist them all around, only problem was getting the lenses ground perfectly as they had a serious curve to them. Would be wearing them still except haven't been back to N.America and the labs down here can't do that much curve on the lenses. If I can put my hands on them I'll let you know the name, but basically any sport frame should work. Got them from Lens Crafters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Im just not ready(scared) for the hassle and issues that go with using contacts =(:

I'm 52 and STILL cannot wrap my head around poking things in to my eye!
    I'm 56 and have been wearing them for 33 years. I remember because my wife then-fiancée pushed me to do it. I'm so glad she did. The little fear that you have to overcome is a small price to pay for essentially 20/20 vision.

Sticking your finger in your eye isn't uncomfortable at all. You don't actually touch your eyeball btw. The lens is between your finger and your eye. There is no discomfort or getting used to them. I think they provide some protection from dust, sand, and UV. No substitute for safety glasses, but better than nothing.

Astigmatism is no problem, btw.

And nowdays, they are less hassle than cleaning your glasses all the time. No scrubbing etc. Just take them out at night and put them in their container with solution. A 30-second process in or out. Although it is not really recommended, you can leave them in for 30 days. Wearing them overnight occasionally is no problem at all.

Next time you are at the optometrist, ask about contacts. It used to be that when you went in for a new eyeglass prescription, they would let you try contacts at no cost. Don't know if they still do that or not, but wouldn't hurt to ask. The cost to them is negligible.