• 01-04-2006
    capt pearl
    pls HELP - do shimano shoes run wide ??
    My Better Half got me some schweeeet sh!imano m-180s for xmas. The length seems fine but I've got the ratchet all the way tight on my smaller foot. They just seem a little wide and while your foot doesn't lose weight and I was wearing standard thin mtb sox due to an unseasonably warm day, it doesn't seem right to have no more adjustment range before they're even broken in. On a suggestion from the General board, I took off the buckle and no luck - there's only one screw hole.

Size on the bottom of the shoe says 45-45T.

Also, what's the deal on the "cleat" - i.e. the hex head bolts up front? Can I take them out or are there other options? I'm only vaguely a weight weenie, but I'm seriously considering throwing in aluminum bolts to save some weight - i mean, why not?

thanks,

-capt pearl
  • 01-04-2006
    forkboy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by capt pearl
    My Better Half got me some schweeeet sh!imano m-180s for xmas. The length seems fine but I've got the ratchet all the way tight on my smaller foot. They just seem a little wide and while your foot doesn't lose weight and I was wearing standard thin mtb sox due to an unseasonably warm day, it doesn't seem right to have no more adjustment range before they're even broken in. On a suggestion from the General board, I took off the buckle and no luck - there's only one screw hole.

Size on the bottom of the shoe says 45-45T.

Also, what's the deal on the "cleat" - i.e. the hex head bolts up front? Can I take them out or are there other options? I'm only vaguely a weight weenie, but I'm seriously considering throwing in aluminum bolts to save some weight - i mean, why not?

thanks,

-capt pearl

Go pick up a pair of insoles from Footlocker / WalMart. I have narrow feet, and have had to use insoles on almost every pair of bike shoes I've bought... except the ones I finally got in a narrow width.

Do the toe spikes on the 180's even come out? My 150's were part of the rubber sole with a little metal stud on the end. Aluminum will last you about one ride in Moab before they are reduced to little aluminum shavings...
  • 01-05-2006
    capt pearl
    Quote:

Originally Posted by forkboy
    Go pick up a pair of insoles from Footlocker / WalMart. I have narrow feet, and have had to use insoles on almost every pair of bike shoes I've bought... except the ones I finally got in a narrow width.

Do you mean replacement insoles or a second one on top of the first?

Anyone have any experience with the ones that you heat, press your foot into, and allow to cool, creating a "custom" footbed?

Quote:

Do the toe spikes on the 180's even come out? My 150's were part of the rubber sole with a little metal stud on the end. Aluminum will last you about one ride in Moab before they are reduced to little aluminum shavings...

Yeah, they're threaded. Moab riding would come under the heading of "nice problem to have" - I'm in mid-TN. You really thing the bolts would just disintegrate?

gratzi,

-capt pearl
  • 01-05-2006
    forkboy
    Quote:

Do you mean replacement insoles or a second one on top of the first?

Anyone have any experience with the ones that you heat, press your foot into, and allow to cool, creating a "custom" footbed?

I've done it both ways - I think Specialized is the only shoe I have had to use 2 insoles. Most are OK with just one.

I've got those custom footbeds in my ski boots. I hate them. They are great, until you go in for lunch and your boots get warm... then they loosen up.

At least mine do - your mileage may vary.

Quote:

Yeah, they're threaded. Moab riding would come under the heading of "nice problem to have" - I'm in mid-TN. You really thing the bolts would just disintegrate?

gratzi,

-capt pearl

If you never plan on using them, Just plug up the holes with super glue...
  • 01-05-2006
    capt pearl
    Quote:

I've done it both ways - I think Specialized is the only shoe I have had to use 2 insoles. Most are OK with just one.

I've got those custom footbeds in my ski boots. I hate them. They are great, until you go in for lunch and your boots get warm... then they loosen up.

At least mine do - your mileage may vary..

Intersting - this would make them pretty useless, IMHO.

-capt pearl