pls HELP - do shimano shoes run wide ??- Mtbr.com
    robust, yet smooth
    Mar 2004

pls HELP - do shimano shoes run wide ??

My Better Half got me some schweeeet sh!imano m-180s for xmas. The length seems fine but I've got the ratchet all the way tight on my smaller foot. They just seem a little wide and while your foot doesn't lose weight and I was wearing standard thin mtb sox due to an unseasonably warm day, it doesn't seem right to have no more adjustment range before they're even broken in.

Size on the bottom of the shoe says 45-45T.

Also, what's the deal on the "cleat" - i.e. the hex head bolts up front? Can I take them out or are there other options? I'm only vaguely a weight weenie, but I'm seriously considering throwing in aluminum bolts to save some weight - i mean, why not?

gratzi, and a friggin' happy '06 to alla us!

best,

-capt pearl
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation.
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    ~ Aristotle

"Faster equals more funner" -Ashwinearl

VRC Illuminati
    They're only wide if you have narrow feet.

I have narrow feet and have always owned Shimano shoes. I have to ratchet them down a bit, but nothing unreasonable. They'll last you quite a long time.

The cleats on the front are nice is you're off the bike and doing a lot of portaging, otherwise not really needed.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by capt pearl
    My Better Half got me some schweeeet sh!imano m-180s for xmas. The length seems fine but I've got the ratchet all the way tight on my smaller foot. They just seem a little wide and while your foot doesn't lose weight and I was wearing standard thin mtb sox due to an unseasonably warm day, it doesn't seem right to have no more adjustment range before they're even broken in.

Size on the bottom of the shoe says 45-45T.

Also, what's the deal on the "cleat" - i.e. the hex head bolts up front? Can I take them out or are there other options? I'm only vaguely a weight weenie, but I'm seriously considering throwing in aluminum bolts to save some weight - i mean, why not?

gratzi, and a friggin' happy '06 to alla us!

best,

-capt pearl
    If I'm not mistaken the M180 have two buckle mounts( I know the 181's do) for different feet diameters. Look under the ratchet and there will be a threaded screw to re-mount the buckle further down the shoe for more adjustment.
    You were kidding about the aluminum bolts in the toe spike holes right?
    "Do not touch the trim"

robust, yet smooth
    Mar 2004

cool

Quote Originally Posted by Rivet
    If I'm not mistaken the M180 have two buckle mounts( I know the 181's do) for different feet diameters. Look under the ratchet and there will be a threaded screw to re-mount the buckle further down the shoe for more adjustment.
    You were kidding about the aluminum bolts in the toe spike holes right?
    I'll check for the second mounting position. I mean, these suckers are pretty well thought out - that would make sense.

They are sooooooo much lighter than my old Lake M80s (in which my heel just slides around).

Ummm, actually I was serious about the AL bolts. I can't see where it'd be a bad idea. I mean, they'll wear faster than steel, but really, so what? It would still take me many seasons to wear them down and they'd be easy and cheap enuff to replace.

Or am I missing something?

thanks for the buckle mount info.

-capt p
    ~ Aristotle

robust, yet smooth
    Mar 2004

no second buckle position!

well, I took off the buckle and no luck - there's only one screw hole.

Looks like I may be having to return my Fancy New shoes.

futher ideas are greatly appreciated.

best,

-capt pearl
    ~ Aristotle

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    That's too bad, I really like mine. I have to set the buckles almost full tite too, only a couple notches left. They sure are comfortable though, & I prefir the all black as well, no fruity multipule colored shoes for me.
    Maybe you need to drop down a size? Or use thicker shocks?
    As an afterthought, they probably do run "slightly" wide, I generally find I have to buy shoes a little longer to be wide enough to fit comfortably.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    well, I took off the buckle and no luck - there's only one screw hole.

Looks like I may be having to return my Fancy New shoes.

futher ideas are greatly appreciated.

best,

-capt pearl
    Well you could do what I do. I have really narrow feet and have the same problem so I run Insole/arch supports, it give the foot more volume in the shoe and they feel oh so comfortable.
    "Do not touch the trim"

robust, yet smooth
    Mar 2004

actually I was thinking along these lines

Quote Originally Posted by Rivet
    Well you could do what I do. I have really narrow feet and have the same problem so I run Insole/arch supports, it give the foot more volume in the shoe and they feel oh so comfortable.
    ...anyway. To get some replacement inner soles as the basic ones are, well, pretty basic. Do you find that the replacements are thicker? I don't need a lot more, but it seems silly to have no room to tighten the shoe before I even break them in.

Ahhh, nothing difficult is ever easy.

gratzi,

-capt pearl
    ~ Aristotle

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    ...anyway. To get some replacement inner soles as the basic ones are, well, pretty basic. Do you find that the replacements are thicker? I don't need a lot more, but it seems silly to have no room to tighten the shoe before I even break them in.

Ahhh, nothing difficult is ever easy.

gratzi,

-capt pearl
    I actiually just run an arch support as my feet are very wide at the front and very narrow in the middle and heel, ya I'm a duck. The arch supports give me some needed support at the........ well, arch as well as adding some volume so I don't have the same problem your encountering. They also leave needed space in the forfoot area. As an aside after I started using arch supports I no longer had problems with hot spots on my feet, a HUGE added bonus. Be patient with arch supports they feel really strange the first few times you use them but once you get used to them you'll wonder how you got along without them. Hope this helps.
    "Do not touch the trim"

Members who have read this thread: 0