Please help with hydration pack- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Please help with hydration pack

My hydration pack is old and I need a new one. The plastic is probably falling apart and it's leaking.

Anyway my needs are quite straight forward. About 10L of storage will suffice. I need at least 2L of water.

Other than that I need the mouth piece to be protected i.e. come with a cover (I am surprised that so many don't). If not it should be attached to something rather than swing freely when riding. Kind of like the Osprey ones.

I also need one with a rain cover since it rains a lot in Berlin.

Let me know what you guys think. Hope I don't sound too demanding.

Thanks.
    '11 Epic Comp, Shimano SPD M780, Giant Contact Switch-R, Specialized Ribcage, Bontrager Trip 200, Ergon GS1

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I have owned or used them all out there even uwse no dancing monkey from over the pond. I will without a doubt recommend you get one of the newer dakine packs with the mesh buffer backing that allows air to flow between your back and the pack. Alot of packs claim to do this... Dakine is the only one after a long ride that my back is not soaked...

Drafter 12L Backpack Without Reservoir

This is what i own and would not trade it for another.

as far as covers go i don't believe they make one for it. I do how ever have a REI water proof bag that you fill, roll the edge and clip together that use if the weather is bad. It seals tight and have never had a leak. w/ the pack drying out very quickly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Race EXP Air - Hydration Packs -Backpacks / Bags - Deuter USA

Love mine, the way the frame is build keeping it off your back, it's the coolest one I've used so far.

Easy to clean bladder
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    If you like your pack, just buy a replacement bladder for it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Hydration bags - v8

V8 have cheap and very good bags.I have RAC 6.1 and it's a great bag.You woudl need to find FRD 11 for 11L of storage or you can get FRD 8 with 8L of storage.I convinced my friend to get FRD 20 for his few day bike trips and he say's that bag is doing fine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by terrasmak View Post
    If you like your pack, just buy a replacement bladder for it.
    I would also just replace the bladder instead of buying a whole new pack...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Is the pack itself is falling apart, or just the bladder?

mtbr member
    Well the pack is quite old and it was a cheap one from Costco bought many years ago. I'd like one that's waterproof and had a little bit more space. The metal parts are also getting rusty.

There's no waist strap either. One would be nice especially where I can store quick reach items.

Lastly the ergonomics for the mouth piece really sucks. Even if I got a new mouth piece there's no where to latch it on to.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    '11 Epic Comp, Shimano SPD M780, Giant Contact Switch-R, Specialized Ribcage, Bontrager Trip 200, Ergon GS1

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Osprey Raptor 10 should do it for you. It comes with a 3L bladder, has waist straps. IIRC a rain cover is available as an accessory.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Ross View Post
    Osprey Raptor 10 should do it for you. It comes with a 3L bladder, has waist straps. IIRC a rain cover is available as an accessory.
    ^^ Osprey makes outstanding packs. I bought an Osprey Viper the end of last year. I am really impressed with how well built it is, the bladder and bite valve system are top notch, and the storage is so well thought out. This model is smaller capacity than what you specified, but osprey makes a ton of different sizes so pick the one you would like from their line-up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I have the Osprey Syncro 10 w/ the mesh back panel, can't imagine going back to a pack that doesn't have that.

mtbr member
    If you look into getting just a bladder I would check out the Cenote series by Polar, their sold as a disposable in single or 3 packs, but I have been using the same one for water for sometime now with now issues. I actually like the bite valve on it more than I like the one on my Lezyne pack. The 3 pack is good if you ever want to use one for Gatorade, chocolate milk, beer, etc.

You can find a 3 pack for the same price as a standard replacement bladder, at least here in the states.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I just picked up a Dakine Nomad and am loving it so far.

Class Clown
    U can't go wrong with DEUTER

mtbr member
    I've got 4 Ospreys and a big advocate for them. 3 raptors, sizes 6, 10, and 14 and a manta 36. I also have some small camelbacks. I love the raptors - the water/hose clip setup works well and the packs stay tight, adjustable in many areas. The raptor 10 is my favorite - 2 years old now and still flawless. It's taken a number of crash hits and with the bladder and webbing, I'm sure protected my back to a degree.
    Osprey customer service is awesome too. When I bought the 14, it had a defective magnet. Customer service immediately sent me 2 of them and other extra parts.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    So as i stated a huge fan of dakine packs as i have had them all. I noticed people brought up straps and the bite valve / routing. The dakine pack is perfect as it has both bottom and top straps that secure tightly (have had some pull apart) I will stay the hose routing is the best by far with a magnetic adjustable tab that clips on by the bite valve. you literally drop it from your mouth and it sticks right back to the shoulder strap as alot of others would move and get in the way of my chest mounted go pro on fun rides.

Cant go wrong !

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    some brands and models of packs mentioned above don't come with a bladder/tube, so that's an additional expense to be aware of.

Think about the features you want/need, and the volume you want/need, which will help you narrow down your options.

Deuter and Osprey (and don't forget Camelbak, they haven't been sitting still either) are all really well designed and built.

mtbr member
    Just wondering. Those of you that don't have a rain cover how water resistent are your packs?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I have an el-cheapo Torpeado 7 (I think its a New Zealand brand) and its pretty rain resistant TBH ... I wouldnt go out in the poring rain, but a light sprinkle and its more than fine.
    Forget what brand my mate has, but he hosed his bag down with his phone inside (forgot) and it was dry.

Keep on Rockin...
    The Osprey stuff is good, but a bit over engineered. Dakine makes good stuff too. I've looked at the Deuter stuff too which seems nice. But, my favorite still seems to be the simplistic old Mule by Camelbak. Point is they are all good and you'd be happy with any of them assuming you get the correct size for your needs. I'd suggest going to an REI or something when you can and trying a few in.

These days I mostly use a an old Columbia lumbar, fanny, pack, but tend not to pack much with me on rides. My tube is taped to my frame and I can usually go two hours without water.

mtbr member
    I hope I don't rub people the wrong way but I'm a stickler for making sure that the nozzle is protected. In my current one it is and I was wondering if that's the case for all packs.

mtbr member
    This is the only I'm looking st getting:

http://m.fahrrad.de/mavic-crossmax-h...ck-363094.html

mtbr member
    The bit nozzle on the pack above in your link IMHO is not great. I've had 3 leak water and I've never seen a good review of it.

mtbr member
    There are about 7 good reviews in the link I posted. They're in German. I can translate if you'd like. But given that it rains a lot here I'm considering something else anyway.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Check out the Camelbak Skyline, it's a new design which I was able to try at REI, I was impressed with the way it sits lower on the back. If I did not have a brand new MULE I would get it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just to clarify, are you getting mud (cow poop etc) stuck to your drink nozzle?

Lots of packs come with rain covers, but not so many with nozzle covers, and the ones I've seen are mainly intended for traveling (with the pack inside the car, in a bag etc).

mtbr member
    No I am not getting anything stuck. I just want to avoid the nozzle touching anything. I take the train to the trail head and don't want other people's clothes or stuff accidentally touching the nozzle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    The Osprey stuff is good, but a bit over engineered. Dakine makes good stuff too. I've looked at the Deuter stuff too which seems nice. But, my favorite still seems to be the simplistic old Mule by Camelbak. Point is they are all good and you'd be happy with any of them assuming you get the correct size for your needs. I'd suggest going to an REI or something when you can and trying a few in.

These days I mostly use a an old Columbia lumbar, fanny, pack, but tend not to pack much with me on rides. My tube is taped to my frame and I can usually go two hours without water.
    I used water bottles when I lived in Canada and I had trails close to where I lived. Here I travel further and ride longer so bottles just don't cut it. Plus I need to carry food since I am out longer. And since it rains more I need a raincover as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by xlash View Post
    No I am not getting anything stuck. I just want to avoid the nozzle touching anything. I take the train to the trail head and don't want other people's clothes or stuff accidentally touching the nozzle.
    Ok, here's a Deuter pack that has a rain cover, with a link to a reservoir that has a nozzle cap:
    Deuter Race black-white (10,0 L) | Men Backpack Shop

I have a Deuter Trans-Alpine 30 that I use for run-commuting, and the rain cover is easy to deploy from the little pocket on the bottom.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I've decided to go with the Osprey Synchro 10. However, when I go to the website: Syncro 10 - Radfahren: Osprey Rucksäcke | Offizielle Europäische Webseite

it doesn't say if the bladder is included but rather "Der Syncro 10 ist mit unserer Hydraulics™ Trinkblase kompatibel" which means it is compatible with the bladder. Do I have to buy the bladder separately?

AOK
    mtbr member

Please help with hydration pack

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've decided to go with the Osprey Synchro 10. However, when I go to the website: Syncro 10 - Radfahren: Osprey Rucksäcke | Offizielle Europäische Webseite

it doesn't say if the bladder is included but rather "Der Syncro 10 ist mit unserer Hydraulics Trinkblase kompatibel" which means it is compatible with the bladder. Do I have to buy the bladder separately?
    I have had two osprey syncro packs and both came with the bladder.
    Last edited by AOK; 02-25-2016 at 07:46 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AOK View Post
    I have had two osprey syncro packs and both came with the bladder.
    I'm SOL. I can't find a shop where I can purchase both. Not only do they not come together but they don't seem to be available simultaneously either.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I'm SOL. I can't find a shop where I can purchase both. Not only do they not come together but they don't seem to be available simultaneously either.

You can buy those from Amazon and REI...

mtbr member
    1 last question. I'm also looking at the Deuter since one of you recommended. I just want to know if the Deuter Streamer bladder is BPA and polyethylene free.

It's supposed to be tasteless and made of special antibacterial material but is it still non carcinogenic?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    1 last question. I'm also looking at the Deuter since one of you recommended. I just want to know if the Deuter Streamer bladder is BPA and polyethylene free.

It's supposed to be tasteless and made of special antibacterial material but is it still non carcinogenic?

sounds like a question for them, check their website, send an email, etc.