Platform Shoes - What to get- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Platform Shoes - What to get

I ride mostly XC but figured this would be the place to ask. I'm looking to get some new platform shoes and have been looking at the Sam Hills by Five Ten. Are these any good? Any out there that are better? What should I look for?

mtbr member
    Go with the 5.10's they rarely disappoint.

moaaar shimz
    Five Ten duddeeeeeeeeee

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I have a pretty-new pair of 5.10 Rennies. I like them quite a bit. Previously, I had some Lake "Richie Schley" models and a pair of Six Six Ones. Actually I still have them all.

Before I got the Rennies, my bike-shop owner buddy told me he didn't like the 5.10 Stealth soles as they were TOO sticky on pedals. This was the only complaint I ever heard about them so decided to buy anyway. Since, I've heard about this from a few other people, some of whom say removing some pins in the pedals helps find the sweet spot in stickiness.

Can a platform shoe be too sticky? Our local stunt park (Colonnade Seattle), is really small. They've done a killer job packing lots of stuff in, but the runups are super short. So, you don't have a lot of time to get feet right. I find the 5.10s don't let me shift my foot easily, as there is very little time to do it.

The Schleys (mine are a few years old) are really well built, firm soles which I like, and nice grippy tread. They're low-cut, no ankle protection, but great ventilation. I rode these everywhere for two seasons with no complaints, just sweet shoes. Mine are a little beat up, thus the two replacements.

At Colonnade, I much prefer the Six Six Ones to the Rennies. However, they are built pretty cheaply and the instep is incredibly soft. They have great pedal feel because of the soft sole but for climbing they lose a lot of energy (spongy). I Definitely wouldn't recommending these for doing big jumps and drops - just not enough support. These have a mid-hi cuff/ankle protection. I got these only last season but knew right away they aren't "the one".

The 5.10s everywhere but Colonnade are pretty flippin' sweet. The pedal setup thing isn't a big deal, though it takes a second longer to get feet right. They have a bomber-stiff sole, the tread is as grippy as everyone says, which two combine for a killer climber, and confidence inspiring on the downs. The cuff is high and they're built to outlast your feet. They feel really stout, but they'll be extra hot when the weather is cookin'.

With whatever shoe, I recommend getting them half a size smaller than normal tennies, try to fit them like you would a clipless shoe. You don't want your foot slipping around in your DH shoes any more than your XC bike. Safety-wise it's probably even more important.

All just IMO of course, ymmv.
    Monkeyshines _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 2014 Trance, 2013 V10, 2000 Schwinn Homegrown

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks for the info! Definitely something I had considered with regard to the 5 10's!

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    I love my 5-10 Rennie's

Premium Member
    Don't get the Sam Hills, they're more money for no reason. Just get the 5.10 Imact 2 Lows. The high-tops are too restricting for anything but pure DH IMO.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Check out the new 5.10 Freerider shoes, they are in between a skate shoe & the 5.10 Impact. Same grip as the impact slightly softer sole ( flex wise), comfortable & look way better. The Impact shoes felt like Clown shoes to me.
    I use the Freeirider for DH & XC, great shoe.

Capricious youth...
    The Sam Hill 5.10's have a standard tongue, instead of the attached tongue, and they have an outer shell that lasts longer due to materials used.

I went with the standard black 5.10's and couldn't be happier.
    Meh.

mtbr member
    I think these platform shoes could be your style:

Five Tens are the bomb.

bikeaholic
    Aug 2004
    I have a pair of the new 5.10 Freeriders and I really like them. I do notice, however, that sometimes when my footing isn't right it can be tough to move my foot around because of how grippy the soles are.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Another shoe in the 5.10 line is the Freerider (scribble),its inbetween the Impact low and the Freerider(grey).All the 5.10's can be checked out and purchased at www.zappos.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ojai Bicyclist
    Don't get the Sam Hills, they're more money for no reason. Just get the 5.10 Imact 2 Lows. The high-tops are too restricting for anything but pure DH IMO.
    I disagree. I have the Impact high tops and I don't feel they restrict any movement for me (and I mainly ride SS/FR). Plus they provide better ankle support.

That said, you should still always get what's most comfortable for you though (high, mid or low top).
    Jump it onto something off of something or over something.

There's more to freeriding than dirt jumps.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007
    I think these platform shoes could be your style:

Five Tens are the bomb.
    Which model Five Tens are those?

Speaking of platform shoes and my aforementioned comment of ankle support, these might be better for that.
    Jump it onto something off of something or over something.

There's more to freeriding than dirt jumps.

RiffRaff
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rmb_mike
    Which model Five Tens are those?

Speaking of platform shoes and my aforementioned comment of ankle support, these might be better for that.
    Damn you guys beat me to it.
    "If Liberace was alive, he'd be proud to ride that mofo."

moaaar shimz
    Quote Originally Posted by rmb_mike
    I disagree. I have the Impact high tops and I don't feel they restrict any movement for me (and I mainly ride SS/FR). Plus they provide better ankle support.

That said, you should still always get what's most comfortable for you though (high, mid or low top).
    I agree.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by DHRracer
    Another shoe in the 5.10 line is the Freerider (scribble),its inbetween the Impact low and the Freerider(grey).All the 5.10's can be checked out and purchased at www.zappos.com
    I just got a pair of these and they're great!

Don't believe the hype about the non-marking soles though. They still mark your floors up. (Drives my wife to drink...)
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

bikeaholic
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DHRracer
    Those are the johnnys that I have. I didn't know that the scribbles were different than the regular Freeriders?

squish is good
    I'm gonna go ahead and 18th the 5.10 recommendation.

I picked up the Sam Hill 5.10's off of chainlove for hella cheap and they've been great. I did swap the stock insoles for Spesh body geometry footbeds that I had in my old clipless shoes because I was getting numbness in my tootsies from the stock beds. Seem to have little to no arch support, run great with the new insoles.

Tip with the 5.10s, you can run less or lower pins and still get better grip but allows for easier foot adjustment. I always drop my feet onto the pedals in awkward angles and they can be impossible to adjust while standing with a regular pin setup.
    Bike good, work bad.

Members who have read this thread: 0