Platform Pedals and Shoes!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Platform Pedals and Shoes!

I have decided that I need to go back to platform pedals for heavy trail riding. I took another dump today with my Time Atac pedals. The only platform pedals I have ever used were the pair that came on my Rockhopper.

I am looking for some suggestions on platform pedals and my LBS, does not have squat. Also what type of shoes are you guys wearing when using platform pedals? Are you using a harder soled shoe or just regular sneakers?

Can't get right...
    Quote Originally Posted by River Hill
    I have decided that I need to go back to platform pedals for heavy trail riding. I took another dump today with my Time Atac pedals. The only platform pedals I have ever used were the pair that came on my Rockhopper.

I am looking for some suggestions on platform pedals and my LBS, does not have squat. Also what type of shoes are you guys wearing when using platform pedals? Are you using a harder soled shoe or just regular sneakers?
    These may be overkill for what you need but they have got to be the stickiest platforms out there NYC Freeride racelites. Most people use vans or some type of skate shoe. W/ these pedals u could ride w/ flip flops.... might be too much for trail riding but for Dh they are the greatest. Plus they come in gold!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I watch the O.C. cause it makes me happy...

If misery was money i'd be the richest man on the planet.

Formerly DMR For Life
    DMR V8 or V12 are great pedals...i have a pair of v8's that i have yet to slip off off...with skate shoes that are just about worn out (no I don't work for DMR)

DMR

Reviewer/Tester
    I have been riding the DMR V12 magnesium pedals which were going very well for me, but the damn bearings went out last week. So I opened them up to have a look inside.

Hello....... only one end has a bearing in it, the other has a sh!tty spacer/bush in it.

I took the DMR's off and put a pair of Azonics on in their place. Whilst the DMR's are light, they really do need proper bearings in both ends of the pedal.

A shame really, because I loved the grip they gave me. I wonder is it possible to retro-fit bearings on both ends?

R.

loco
    I've been using these Nike shoes and these Odyssey pedals. The shoe is a bit harder but still work well for a hike a bike situation
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." (Ferris Bueller)

Mar 2006
    Any flat rubber soled shoes will work fine. As it says in Brian Lopes book "Leave the Macho Lugs for hiking". Pedal choice depends on what you want but with some of them be really careful if your not wearing shin guards, I know of a couple people who had to have stitches when they hit their shin.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I like those Odyssey pedals. I will have to remember them when the time comes.

I wear Nike ACGs. They have excellent traction for hike-a-bike and water crossings. Flat sole sneakers may not be the best option for rough trails.

awesome
    I've been using wellgo mag pedals and freeride 661 shoes (both off ebay) and I'm extremely happy with the combo. The pedals are light and sticky enough without being life threatening or hard on my knees like the time atac I used to ride, the shoes are comfy and offer great ankle protection and sticky "taki" material soles, not as stiff as real bike shoes but everything is a compromise.

Formerly DMR For Life
    rainman i'm assuming that the sleeve is on the inboard side of the pedal am I correct?

just a thought if you had access to a milling machine or a large drill press you might be able to buy standard bearings and install them on that side instead of the bushing

DMR

ICORR - FORC
    I have tried several different flats and have been most satisfied with Kona Jack Sh!t pedals. You can get cheap bushing versions for around $25 or the better bearing version for $50. Good price for good platforms. I think it's wise to stick with flat bottom shoes, the more surface contacting the pins the better, plus a good skater shoe like vans kinda 'wrap' around the pedal. Shin guards are a good idea if you're not used to flats.
    There's car, beer, girls, and bike. Not just the three; you can have four. - Tyler Klassen

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Great suggestions guys. What are you thoughts on the Specialized lo pro pedals? Keep them coming. It looks like I have lots of options.

mtbr member
    these are really nice. very grippy surface. if i were gonna switch to platforms these are what i'd get.

http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...orm-Pedals.htm

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    My cousin bought Tioga platform pedals. They come with M4 X 10mm setscrews that you thread into threaded holes in the pedals. They really needed to throw in a set of M4 X 5 setscrews because the 10mm screws stick up out of the pedal platform by about 6mm. I joked with my cousin that he better not miss the pedal and he replies that his shoes will be stuck to the pedals because the studs are so long. We'll see.

Feb 2005
    i just started using these so i have the option of platform or clip

http://pricepoint.com/detail/14235-2...95B-Pedals.htm

mtbr member
    i use these pedals ( available at www.danscomp.com ) One piece alloy construction, chromoly spindle, sealed precision bearing and replaceable allen pins. (20.6 oz)
    and similar shoes...(sticky waffle cut soles)

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I have lots to look at now.

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Wellgo-MG-1-Magn...QQcmdZViewItem

Would these be among the lightest platforms?
    Tony

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Another thing to consider when choosing a platform pedal, is selecting one with a flat surface, or one with a slight concave, curved top. I have used both, and I really prefer the ones with a concave top - they are much more comfortable to me.

My favorite pedals are Tioga MX Pro's

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...2&category=511

awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by CdaleTony
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Wellgo-MG-1-Magn...QQcmdZViewItem

Would these be among the lightest platforms?
    Tony
    Yes, I got those mg1 from that same seller and they got here pretty quick considreing he's in Hong Kong.

Lopen is sneller....
    Oct 2003
    I got the regular V12's when my wife got the V12's with the Mag body, think she has Ti axle's as well.

I always use old sneakers...like the ones with the brown-ish soles best (like the Vans posted above). Would never use shoes with stiff soles on platforms...I almost want to feel those pins...

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I tried to make the switch back to platforms from clipless a couple of years ago and realized that I totally forgot how to jump/hop without clipless! I tried to bunnyhop and I went up and the bike didn't move! My wife was laughing her a$$ off. That was rough on the ego.

Aug 2005
    I use Kona Jacksh*t pedals, they can be gotten for a bout $30, seem good and grippy... i just use my Fallen Rivals (skate shoes), or sometimes my Salomon trail running shoes which work pretty good too (good for the times expecting hike a bike...and gore tex)

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    After reading many post, it looks like the majority of riders use clipless. I really wish I could get use to the ATACS as I have already spent the money on them and shoes. I even filed down the cleat some. I really get mad at myself as I normally dump the bike on a incline when I can't pedal anymore or a area where I come to a stop. I just can't seem to get the foot out.

After reading many post, I am also concerned about sticking flat pegs in my shins and I know I won't where shin gaurds as the trails are not that hard, except for a few areas.

At this point I really like the look of the Azonic A Frams and either the 661 Launch Shoes or Five Ten Impacts, but I am looking at dumping about $130.00 on new shoes and pedals.

Heck if I wasn't such a chicken shite, I would keep working with the ATACS.

mtbr member

I use wellgo's

Wellgo B37's, aren't the greatest flats, but they have ajustable pins which i like.
    I disagree with flat bottom shoes though, I use Vasque multi sport shoe, which is abit heavy ,but they have a great tread pattern which allows me to wiggle my foot abit on the pedal and the pins seems to grab in between the tread nicely to hold my foot in place. I've tried flat bottom shoes and when its wet, my feet have slipped off the pedals.
    I've worn these shoes riding for three years now, wet,dry, covered in mud, whatever and they still look new. Also Vasque has insoles to fit the arch of your foot and are replaceable anytime for like 20 bucks.

Life's a garden. Dig it.
    I use Sun Ringle ZU-Zu when I use platforms. They have held up well. Not the lightest or most high tech, but cheap enough to replace if they wear out. 30$ at pricepoint. Oh-yeah, the pins are replaceable and pretty easy to find. I don't have the size with me, as they are still back in Korea.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I've also gone from SPD's to flats for trail riding. It takes some time getting used to but very soon you learn everything again. I use Wellgo B-57's with skate shoes and it's great even when wet. You can get nagnesium pedals which are lighter and almost any sneaker will work.
    I'd strongly recommend you wear knee-shin guards!!

one sick puppy
    I had a pair of the old Intense shoes with the sticky soles that I loved but they quit making them. Last year I saw 5-10 had picked up that design so I couldn't wait til my new pair arrived.
    Saddle up, Effendi. We ride.

Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ntha
    I've also gone from SPD's to flats for trail riding. It takes some time getting used to but very soon you learn everything again. I use Wellgo B-57's with skate shoes and it's great even when wet. You can get nagnesium pedals which are lighter and almost any sneaker will work.
    I'd strongly recommend you wear knee-shin guards!!
    I too have the B-57's (or is it the B-27's??). Anyhoo.....

I put these on last month since I wanted to use my insulated winter hiking boots for riding instead of my winter MTB shoes (since they didn't fit well). I'm gonna see how I like using platforms this spring.

When I ride with 'em, I usually rotate between two pairs of old trail running shoes. Ideally I'd like to get something with a skateboard like sole (like Vans).

Dec 2004

Syncros Mental - Shin Hamburger

I too went from riding Time Atac clipless pedals, which are damn nice! to riding first Easton Flatboys and now Syncros Mental platforms. The Syncros pedals are exceptional with curved footbed and pins right on the outside of the foot curve to really grab you if you plant a foot and just catch the lip area of the pedal. Only problem is they will shred your shin if biff one or catch a pedal wrong. I always wear my EVS shin guards though and have also run 661 Kyle Straits with good feel.

Apr 2006
    I've never used anything but SPuDs up until now but I've bought some DMR V12s and some Five-Ten Impact Lows this season after suffering too many falls last year.

I predict less in the way of pratfalls and more hassle when it comes to climbing....

Freeriding Feline

Pedals/Shoes

Truvative pedals with 661 Launch shoes.
    "If you give up your dream, you die."
    Twitter - KIKat1029

Members who have read this thread: 0