Platform Pedals-- Low or Mid Top Shoes?- Mtbr.com

Jul 2006

Platform Pedals-- Low or Mid Top Shoes?

.... Before my shoes were discontinued, I used mid-tops exclusively. Haven't found a decent replacement. Some have too much padding, too little, too firm etc. As a result, I made the switch to low-tops. I miss the added protection that mid- tops provide?

What do you prefer? Low tops or mid tops? Brands? Five Ten? Six Six One? Vans? Skate shoes (DC, Etnies, Adio etc.)?

Is a stiffer sole better for all mountain/ freeride riding? Or should I just buy the most comfortable shoe? Thanks in advance.

Premium Member
    I prefer low-tops because I've never really had ankle protection problems.

If you do get Five Tens (which have crazy grip) get hi-tops if you're concerned about protection. The lows are really low.

With skate shoes, a flexy sole usually equals more grip, so keep that in mind. The cool thing about Five Tens is they're stiff underneath with really soft rubber on the outside, so you get the best of both worlds.

Obviouslly comfort is important, but you're gonna want something that keeps your feet on the pedals.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Tough call. I lean towards low-tops. I am partial to SIXSIXONE. http://sixsixone.com/Catalog_661Bike...0-7C32DB08A1CA I have tried the Descend Taki and a shoe that looked similar to the Filter. Both are great shoes.

As for skate shoes- there are soooooo many styles to choose from, I am confident you will EASILY find a shoe that matches your requirements (i.e. stiffness, sole compound and design, price, weight, color, etc).

Bottomline, comfort is most important- to me!!!!

Glad to Be Alive
    ankle problems....I wear 40 to 45 dollar high top basketball shoes....grip good and nice stability
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I use low tops Nike 6.0 they work great!!!!! The five ten shoes with stealth rubber are also very nice and sticky it's all about whats comfortable for you in the end though.

Local Paperboy Hero
    Duh...

Members who have read this thread: 0