Platform MTB Shoes- Mtbr.com
    Knowledge over Swag
    Aug 2011

Platform MTB Shoes

So I'm thinking of holding off of clipless for awhile, interested in upgrading shoes. Currently riding in an old pair of DC skate shoes on the stock Giant Pedals. I will be upgrading pedals to either better platforms or the clipless with good platforms for future options. Im lookin to spend $70 or less on a pair. I looked around some sites like Huck n Roll and they list a wide variety on shoes including Fox shoes for around $50. Are they all decent MTB shoes or should I hold out for a pair of TEVAS/5.10's. I prefer the skate shoe style because I used to skate and would be the easiest transition. Let me know.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hold out for the 5-10's, they are sticky good and have a stiff sole, you won't regret it, I am on my second season of riding and racing with them and they are holding up great. October issue of MBA has a good article on flats and shoes...
    Still learning how to keep the rubber side down.

WLB
    Slow but not stopped
    The Teva's are great too. I've never ridden 5.10's, I've read that the sole of the Tevas are not quite as sticky as the 5.10's, but the pattern of the Teva sole grips the pins nicely, it's stiff but comfortable, and they look good too. So 2 good choices, 5.10 or Teva Links.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Vans 'Gravel' bike shoes are good. I've been wearing them for a couple of months. They're stiff, the sole is sticky. I hae a lot of climbing & no foot issues so far. Got'em from HucknRoll for something like $89 so a bit cheaper than 5.10's but no idea how much the Teva's are going for.

MarkyMark
    I was checking out the clearance section at The Path bike shop in Tustin, CA a few months back and ran across a pair of Shimano DX. They're SPD compatible and I pair them with a set of CB Mallets. I take them out of XC rides and the shoes are super comfy!

I think I paid something like $60.

mtbr member
    Misread this.
    Last edited by smithe68; 09-16-2011 at 07:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Just ordered me a pair of them dang ol' Gravel Vans

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I switched from the stock Giant pedals to Wellgo MG-1s for $45 shipped on a bidding website and couldn't be happier with the grip and lighter weight.

For shoes, I got a great deal on Vans 106 and Half cabs. They probably wont last as long as a real mountain bike shoe, but I they get the job done and I only spent $45. The waffle sole and pins lock me to the pedals. No more shin bite! (I do recommend shin guards, because it'll hurt if you do slip...

Knowledge over Swag
    Aug 2011
    I got the Wellgo MG-1 pedals in Green on order like $38 bucks. Can't wait.

RideDirt
    These for pedals deity Decoy 2.5 Pedals combined with 5.10s or something similar , your guaranteed better performance and dont worry about any slipping ever . I run these pedals on both of my bikes and they are A++ ..

mtbr member
    I rode skate shoes for several years - Vans, Etnies, Converse (not chuck taylors) etc. I was up in Whistler a bit over a year ago, and 5.10 was doing a demo thing, wear a pair for a run. I laced em up, rode down, and bought a pair.

I would wait for a deal, if you can. They are out there.

Knowledge over Swag
    Aug 2011
    I found a pair of 5-ten freeriders for $65 w/ free shipping. Good deal worth jumping on? Do they run small-big?

RideDirt
    Where did you find that price ? lol i need to order me some asap !! I heard they are true to size .

Knowledge over Swag
    Aug 2011

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    After completing my first race with the Wellgo/Vans set-up, I would definitely recommend a sports-specific shoe, or at least one with leather uppers and not canvas. It was raining the whole time, so water and mud soaked right through the canvas uppers.

mtbr member
    you might be interested in Adidas Samba's, usually on sale if you go to Kohls or on Zappos.com. pretty clean and classy, made of durable leather and have excellent grip on platforms without being really chunky. fold the long tongue over your laces like you would playing indoor soccer and you're golden

Knowledge over Swag
    Aug 2011
    I ordered the 5-tens. $65 bucks was too good of a deal.