Photochromic or not- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Photochromic or not

I have been searching for sunglasses and wondering if to go with Photochromic or not. I like the idea of the lens turning dark to bright while going in and out of the shade, but I am wondering what's your opinions about using them for MTB?

Two Tired
    I had a pair of photochromatic glasses and really liked them. I think they are especially good for mountain biking since different sections of trail can have very different lighting conditions (for example, grassland into forest and later back out to grasslands). They don't have problems with some LCD displays that polarized glasses can have. They don't adjust instantly (though some are pretty fast) and they are too dark for late evening or night riding, but I found them to be a pretty good general solution.
    Let the good times roll.
    trailroller.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Love mine for riding

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Get G30's they work in all light conditions. VR28 isn't bad either....G30's still the better of the two. G20 for Road Riding.

I've bought a few different lenses, if I was going to do it all over again I would get:

Clear
    G30 Irirdium - 30%
    G20 Black Iridium - 15%

This will cover you for everything.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks, what sunglasses are you using and how quick do they change going in and out of shade?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck_tacoma View Post
    Get G30's they work in all light conditions. VR28 isn't bad either....G30's still the better of the two. G20 for Road Riding.

I've bought a few different lenses, if I was going to do it all over again I would get:

Clear
    G30 Irirdium - 30%
    G20 Black Iridium - 15%

I'm highly thinking of getting a pair of Oakley's. Which model do you have? I am going to get the clear for sure and I'll keep the other lenses in mind.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Photochromatic lenses are activated by UV radiation (the sun's rays). The more intense the sun's ray's the darker the lens can become. When an environment gets brighter, a photochromatic lens will darken up to 10% more than their initial shade. Another factor to consider is the closer you are to the sun (on top of a mountain vs. the beach), the less atmosphere acts as a filter so the potential for achieving the darkest shade is greatest.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Just bought my second set of Julbo glasses with their zebra lenses. Really like them. Honestly don't really notice much of a transition, but they never seem to be too dark for me on a shaded trail. That was my main concern.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bhmax View Post
    Just bought my second set of Julbo glasses with their zebra lenses. Really like them. Honestly don't really notice much of a transition, but they never seem to be too dark for me on a shaded trail. That was my main concern.
    That's mine, too. I have been hearing Photochromics are light enough shaded areas.

Falls-a-Lot
    I'm a HUGE fan of Optic Nerve's "Photomatic" line. They are FAR cheaper than some of the alternatives and when I bought mine they had a wider range of tint than Oakleys' or Rudy Project's comparable models--for a fraction the price.

The lenses scratch fairly easily, but at <$50 for an entirely new pair (I always find them with coupon codes) it doesn't break my heart to deal with a few scratches and replace them every couple of years. It has to be getting pretty dark before they have too much tint to comfortably see. I do have a pair with clear lenses for those times. When it's really sunny the lenses get very dark--especially on Winter days when the glare off of the snow would otherwise be painful.
    '11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '11 Redline Conquest Apex
    '13 Salsa El Mariachi 3
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3

mtbr member
    Anyone using underarmour rumble glasses?? I love the fit. Think I'm gonna try them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck_tacoma View Post

Clear
    G30 Irirdium - 30%
    G20 Black Iridium - 15%

I have some vr28 polarized and while I LOVE them for driving and riding I have to say they are a bit too dark for wooded trail riding. Thinking I may try the g20 or photochromic as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I am going to give the Oakley photochromics a try. I have seen they have a few different ones. Which one do you recommend to go with?

beater
    I have a pair of Smith Turntables that I bought off Steep & Cheap maybe 5 years ago. I've come to like them better for riding than my Smith sport glasses because of the adaptability, and I wear them for most of my riding. They aren't as good as clear lenses at dusk, but the aren't too bad.

Members who have read this thread: 0