Petzl LED Helmet, Cygo LED handlebar combo ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Petzl LED Helmet, Cygo LED handlebar combo ?

I am looking for a decent lighting system for summer night rides.
    After looking at some reviews of the Night Rider MiniNewts I've decided
    that they're good lights but there's still some issues with durability, so now
    I'm thinking of going with the Cygolite Tridenx LED for the handlebars.
    Since I can't afford a huge outlay of $, I would need to go for something cheaper
    for the helmet that's still LED. I don't want to be having something heavy on the
    helmet, obviously, so I was thinking of going with a Petzl (a European company)
    where you can just AA batteries. Any opinions of this, or other combos of lights that
    might work while still staying in the 300 - 400 dollar range, or is that asking too much ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I have one of Scar's Amoeba with cree Q5's on my helmet. I find it to be all the light I need.

BBW
    mtbr member
    the Petzl MYO 2008 has a pretty decent light but you will wash it with your trident. It will be good to see around corners though

arc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I run a tridenx bar mounted and it does fine on its own. Wide white beam that provides excellent depth perception and trail detail. As a reference, it doesn't throw as far as a Topeak HID but the beam is wider. Trails around here are fairly tight and twisty, haven't outrun it yet, but there are a few places it would be nice helmet mounted. Haven't tried it on the road yet, I suspect it would be a little much for oncoming drivers. It comes with bar and helmet mount, but since its so small and light I just leave it on the bike ready to go.

The tridenx is pretty bright, I think it would overpower a petzel. You might be better off trying the tridenx alone. If its not bright enough, you could get a cheaper cygo light or maybe a Dinotte 200 later.

Spanish biker
    Hi, I have a petzl myo XP, this don't give enough light to ride only with her, but it is a great light how help to the main light

Greetings - Saludos

msxtr
    Warning!!! my english is very very bad, sorry.

Easy DIY led light1
    Easy DIY led light2

The Beast!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I use a DIY quad LED on my handlebars, and a Petzl Tikka XP that I updated with a Seoul Semiconductor P4. The Tikka costs $40-50 and is super easy to modify. Here's a post on modding the MYO, which is very similiar to Tikka mod:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...&highlight=Myo

The headlamp ended up twice as bright as the stock Luxeon III. A cheaper alternative is to buy some LED flashlights and attach them to your helmet, something like:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1995

I personally like having a strong light on the handlebars, and a small light on my head that helps me see just around switchbacks... but there are plenty of people who would legitimately disagree with me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Thanks cap'n and msxtr, does the petzl come with the

blue helmet strap shown in your picture cap'n, or is that your
    modification ? At this point I'd have to consider myself a total noobe when
    it comes to lighting systems, so I wouldn't trust myself to try any modifications as you have done. (I had the original NightRider classic about 10 years ago, but didn't get much use out of it before the battery went to crap)

BBW
    mtbr member
    The Petzl is a headlight and it comes with the blue band. NOTE: the modification that you see there is to upgrade the 2007 (blue and yellow) to the 2008 specs (I think it's gray and green)
    The 2008 has a very decent output but you will wash it with the trident. DiNotte has a sale now 99$ the 200l-AA. you will need the helmet mount.
    check www.dinottelighting.com. It's an awesome light (200 lumens) and would compliment at an affordable price your trident

Members who have read this thread: 0