The perfect liner short- Mtbr.com
    I quit e-MTBR

The perfect liner short

A perfect liner short would have:
    1. a nice chamois
    2. a light, airy fabric with a non-compression fit that doesn't feel soggy when you sweat
    3. no gripper elastic at the legs, because this is for mountain biking and we (men) don't shave our legs you idiots.

As far as I can tell, this liner short doesn't exist. All of the dentist-priced liner shorts with a primo chamois (7mesh, Kitsbow, Dirtbaggies, Assos, etc) have satanic leg-hair-gripper elastic. Kitsbow's $125 Origin liner is the worst -- grippy legs, sausage-casing compression, and an oddly abrasive chamois.

Troy Lee's used to be pretty awesome (good-not-great chamois) and a steal at $40, til they added gripper elastic too. Jesus. Ditto Patagonia's. The Pearl Izumi 1:1's look good on paper but reviewers say they're uncomfortable.

This isn't that hard, apparel designers! You can do it! If you do, you'll sell a bunch of them! Get on it.

(Is it possible that I'm the only mountain biker on earth who hates gripper elastic? Perhaps. I don't care. Everyone thought narrow bars were a killer idea for a few years, too. Popular idiocy is still idiocy.)

mtbr member
    I like the compression and the grippers, seems like the compression fit is kind of integral for keeping the chamois from moving around to me.

Sorry, I'm no help at all.
    I brake for stinkbugs

poser Administrator
    What about the zoic offerings? https://zoic.com/mens/bottoms-men/li...BoCjcMQAvD_BwE they have a lot of options and looks like they just use elastic gripper on the leg and waist like underwear.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    DirtBaggies have barely grippy grippers. I'm a hairy legged mountain biker, designed them for my legs and have never heard any complaints about this.
    "...DirtBaggies may also be the best baggy mountain bike shorts on the market." Velonews - Click to check out other reviews.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManBike View Post

3. no gripper elastic at the legs, because this is for mountain biking and we (men) don't shave our legs you idiots.

Without the gripper elastic the chamois would not properly stay in place and also over the course of the ride, the shorts would ride up and you would be wearing "briefs" by the end. You need the chamois to stay in place if it is to do its job over the course of a ride where you will stand and sit numerous times.

I know numerous shorts come with sub par liner shorts. My solution has always been to cut out the liner shorts if they are non removable and just wear my regular better quality lycra underneath my MTB shorts. This works great for me

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I like grippers so they dont ride up and bunch up. Butnl of course im probably not as hairy as most.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    On the first versions of DirtBaggies there were no silicone grippers on the elastic leg cuffs; they didn't ride up. Over time however I found lighter, more breathable, stretchier elastics were available, and that a small amount of silicone required a less constrictive fit. So now I use a custom, less silicone infested gripper than is found on roady-spec shorts.

Because I disliked very grippy leg cuffs, I started out with an idealized notion that gripperless was the ultimate solution. Reality doesn't always jive with idealized theories though, experience brought me to a middle ground.
    Last edited by Tim-ti; 08-02-2018 at 01:22 PM. Reason: corrected spelling
    "...DirtBaggies may also be the best baggy mountain bike shorts on the market." Velonews - Click to check out other reviews.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    My feelings are quite as strong as the OPs, but I generally agree with all his points. Two suggestions:

1. I have a set of PI bibs purchased from REI that have a decent pad, not too compressive and instead of silicone grippers, they have a wide seam of what seems to be the same basic material but with slightly more compression. The don't squeeze your thighs too much, but do stay in place.

2. 100%. I have a pair of their liners, nicer pad than the PI and a similar setup at the bottom of the thigh.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

I quit e-MTBR
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodino View Post
    Without the gripper elastic the chamois would not properly stay in place and also over the course of the ride, the shorts would ride up and you would be wearing "briefs" by the end. You need the chamois to stay in place if it is to do its job over the course of a ride where you will stand and sit numerous times.
    I have owned numerous pairs of chamois liners with no gripper elastic at the leg openings, worn regularly over several years. The number of times they have ridden up on my legs is zero.

Maybe other people have different-shaped legs. But I suspect the more accurate explanation is that the leg-shavers prefer grippers and so MTB-apparel designers just lemming along.

Your theory that leg-gripper elastic is necessary to keep the chamois in place is novel, clever, and bat-shit.

I quit e-MTBR
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim-ti View Post
    On the first versions of DirtBaggies there were no silicone grippers on the elastic leg cuffs; they didn't ride up. Over time however I found lighter, more breathable, stretchier elastics were available, and that a small amount of silicone required a less constrictive fit. So now I use a custom, less silicone infested gripper than is found on roady-spec shorts.

Because I disliked very grippy leg cuffs, I started out with an idealized motion that gripperless was the ultimate solution. Reality doesn't always jive with idealized theories though, experience brought me to a middle ground.
    Interesting! That's the first reasonable-seeming explanation I've heard. I've never noticed gripperless cuffs feeling heavy or less breathable, but your explanation makes me curious to try yours. Unfortunately for me I prefer shorts to bibs except in the winter.

I quit e-MTBR
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    My feelings are quite as strong as the OPs, but I generally agree with all his points. Two suggestions:

1. I have a set of PI bibs purchased from REI that have a decent pad, not too compressive and instead of silicone grippers, they have a wide seam of what seems to be the same basic material but with slightly more compression. The don't squeeze your thighs too much, but do stay in place.

2. 100%. I have a pair of their liners, nicer pad than the PI and a similar setup at the bottom of the thigh.
    Thanks for the suggestions. I tried the PI liners a few years back and didn't get along with the chamois. I hadn't really noticed the 100% liners before but will keep an eye out for them now, might be just what I'm looking for.

Auto Racer
    Pearl has a new liner for this year, has a new chamois and no leg gripper. First update to this in a few seasons, feels better than the older ones, plus the smooth fabric on the front edge slides really easy under my shell shorts while pedaling. https://www.pearlizumi.com/US/en/Sho.../p/19111802021

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have owned numerous pairs of chamois liners with no gripper elastic at the leg openings, worn regularly over several years. The number of times they have ridden up on my legs is zero.

Maybe other people have different-shaped legs. But I suspect the more accurate explanation is that the leg-shavers prefer grippers and so MTB-apparel designers just lemming along.

Your theory that leg-gripper elastic is necessary to keep the chamois in place is novel, clever, and bat-shit.
    For me without the leg gripper elastic, they would ride up my thighs definitely but I suspect we are built very differently hence your experience. Normally when the leg elastic starts giving out, I retire the shorts since they begin bunching up which is uncomfortable for me. I am curious, what is this brand I can look up of these shorts that you owned that do not have gripper elastic and still stay in place? I am always on the lookout for new stuff to try...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bicycle019 View Post
    Pearl has a new liner for this year, has a new chamois and no leg gripper. First update to this in a few seasons, feels better than the older ones, plus the smooth fabric on the front edge slides really easy under my shell shorts while pedaling. https://www.pearlizumi.com/US/en/Sho.../p/19111802021
    Interesting. I will have to give these a shot. I normally prefer just regular Lycra underneath my shorts but these look promising.

mtbr member
    Interesting! That's the first reasonable-seeming explanation I've heard. I've never noticed gripperless cuffs feeling heavy or less breathable, but your explanation makes me curious to try yours. Unfortunately for me I prefer shorts to bibs except in the winter.
    It's not something I'd noticed either, or dreamed that I'd need, but an elastic manufacturer sent me samples of a very thin elastic, which was wonderful - except that it had lots of gripper stuff all over it. Turning the elastic gripper-side out required a tighter, slightly less comfortable fit (because the elastic is quite slick), so we arrived at the middle-ground lo-grip custom elastic.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    The liners that came with my Fly Racing shorts are extremely lightweight but comfortable. Padding in the right places and very well ventilated, and they don't rip my leg hairs out like other liners do.

Short-Change-Hero
    I actually really like my Zoic liners that came with my shorts. They have more of a mesh type material vs. a spandex type you would see on something like PIs. They do have the gel/silicone around the leg cuffs but my problem is that I have larger thighs/quads so most all liners are type on me. The Zoic probably are the ones that breath the best, have a nice albeit flat-ish chamois, and stay in place.

Really wish liners and bibs weren't so damn expensive. I am cheap so I normally shop Sierra Trading Post for this stuff. Should be seeing some good deals in a couple months here as the season starts winding down and places are getting rid of inventory. Use Gear Obsession if you do that and order online as you get some money back.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodino View Post
    My solution has always been to cut out the liner shorts if they are non removable and just wear my regular better quality lycra underneath my MTB shorts. This works great for me
    This has been my solution for many years now as well. I've been using the Pearl Izumi Pro short and it works perfectly for me. However my 2 pair have seen better days now and they've been discontinued/replaced. Anyone have an alternative that won't cost an arm and a leg?

Tree Crasher
    Voler under Zoic Ether shorts
    CRAP... I'm in the wrong gear

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    DirtBaggies have barely grippy grippers. I'm a hairy legged mountain biker, designed them for my legs and have never heard any complaints about this.
    I had a look at your site. Do you have any "shorts" liners or are they all bibs?

mtbr member
    Only bibs, I started the company because MTB underbibs didn't exist and I felt strongly that they should.

Here's my explanation of why I think bibs are immensely superior: dirtbaggies.com/pages/f-a-q

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=OldManBike;
    Perhaps. I don't care. Everyone thought narrow bars were a killer idea for a few years, too. Popular idiocy is still idiocy.)[/QUOTE]

Perhaps the West Coast has too much influence on popular idiocy in cycling clothing. On the East Coast we are riding in a different world with 93% humidity and 90'F temps. How does it make sense to wear two pairs of shorts at the same time? All three issues could be solved in one intergrated chamois lined pair of semi-baggy shorts... yet there is no such thing? Yes the chamois would float a bit - but wouldn't the direct air venting out weigh this? I am willing to test ride a pair if DirtBaggies is willing to make a pair.

mtbr member
    Yes, bib liners are a bit pricey, but they last for years. I will not buy anything but bib liners with pockets. Once you have bib pockets it seems pointless to not have them.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for ďI suck at brake control.Ē Hereís a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vtdavey View Post
    How does it make sense to wear two pairs of shorts at the same time? All three issues could be solved in one intergrated chamois lined pair of semi-baggy shorts... yet there is no such thing? Yes the chamois would float a bit - but wouldn't the direct air venting out weigh this?
    Maybe it's just me, but freeballin' and bicycle seats ain't happenin'!

So, if you need to wear some supportive underwear anyway, then why not liners? Amongst other things, the chamois serves as the slip plane against the saddle, instead of your skin. A loose fitting chamois is practically worthless.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I love my specialized swat liner. Light, elastic and breathable!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Only bibs, I started the company because MTB underbibs didn't exist and I felt strongly that they should.

Here's my explanation of why I think bibs are immensely superior: dirtbaggies.com/pages/f-a-q
    Iíve never tried bibs and maybe I should, but itís a business mistake to limit your company to only bibs and not true shorts. You shouldnít dictate the market to your customers. I certainly donít know your business but Iíd bet youíd see double digit growth if you offered shorts. Your company name is great, perfect for bibs, outer shorts, and inner/outer cargo style shorts.

I still just ride with a typical compression chamois short with the hated gripper cuffs and a loose pair of mesh gym shorts over. Iím in Arizona so itís always freakin hot. If the grippers piss me off I give them a roll up to put the silicone on the outside. But damn, theyíre always too tight on the thighs. Iíve always viewed it as a necessary evil to keep the ass padding in place. Going to try a few shorts linked on this thread though.

Dirty Old Man
    Quote Originally Posted by vtdavey View Post
    Perhaps the West Coast has too much influence on popular idiocy in cycling clothing. On the East Coast we are riding in a different world with 93% humidity and 90'F temps. How does it make sense to wear two pairs of shorts at the same time? All three issues could be solved in one intergrated chamois lined pair of semi-baggy shorts... yet there is no such thing? Yes the chamois would float a bit - but wouldn't the direct air venting out weigh this? I am willing to test ride a pair if DirtBaggies is willing to make a pair.
    I'm no expert in the vast market of short liners, but the liners that come in shorts from Performance are mesh. It doesn't seem to make much difference to me though so i stick with my regular lycra shorts under my "shell' shorts.
    . . . . . . . .

mtbr member
    As I said, I started the company because I wanted something that didn't exist. If I'd wanted waistband shorts I could have gone to the store and bought some.

It sounds like you're dissatisfied with waistband shorts though, I kinda hear it like this: "Dear Mr. Ford, While I've not ridden in one of your four wheeled contraptions, I'm writing to let you know that you're making a business mistake by not also producing faster horses. I've always been frustrated by how slow and hungry true horses are, I keep riding them and I hate it. Anyway I'm going to try some other types of horse linked on this thread".

If I had shareholders, I'm sure they'd agree with you that I should make waistband shorts.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegill View Post
    Iíve never tried bibs and maybe I should, but itís a business mistake to limit your company to only bibs and not true shorts. You shouldnít dictate the market to your customers. I certainly donít know your business but Iíd bet youíd see double digit growth if you offered shorts. Your company name is great, perfect for bibs, outer shorts, and inner/outer cargo style shorts.

I still just ride with a typical compression chamois short with the hated gripper cuffs and a loose pair of mesh gym shorts over. Iím in Arizona so itís always freakin hot. If the grippers piss me off I give them a roll up to put the silicone on the outside. But damn, theyíre always too tight on the thighs. Iíve always viewed it as a necessary evil to keep the ass padding in place. Going to try a few shorts linked on this thread though.

mtbr member
    I like your term 'slip plane', I'm stealing it! I've been using the term 'prosthetic callous', which sometimes causes more confusion than clarification.

mtbr member
    If I had shareholders, I'm sure they'd agree with you that I should make waistband shorts.
    This was pretty much my point. Of course itís up to you what you do with your business.

I also own a horse (daughterís hobby, turning into profession) and Iíd take the four wheeled contraption any day. Much cheaper!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    A perfect liner short would have:
    1. a nice chamois
    2. a light, airy fabric with a non-compression fit that doesn't feel soggy when you sweat

As far as I can tell, this liner short doesn't exist. All of the dentist-priced liner shorts with a primo chamois (7mesh, Kitsbow, Dirtbaggies, Assos, etc) have satanic leg-hair-gripper elastic. Kitsbow's $125 Origin liner is the worst -- grippy legs, sausage-casing compression, and an oddly abrasive chamois.

Troy Lee's used to be pretty awesome (good-not-great chamois) and a steal at $40, til they added gripper elastic too. Jesus. Ditto Patagonia's. The Pearl Izumi 1:1's look good on paper but reviewers say they're uncomfortable.

This isn't that hard, apparel designers! You can do it! If you do, you'll sell a bunch of them! Get on it.

(Is it possible that I'm the only mountain biker on earth who hates gripper elastic? Perhaps. I don't care. Everyone thought narrow bars were a killer idea for a few years, too. Popular idiocy is still idiocy.)
    TLD has gone through numerous liner shorts, with numerous pads (cheap china pad, to today's italian premium TMF pad) but our latest premium liner short, with the TMF carbon pad is my favorite we have made. I do not shave legs and prefer this leg cuff over years past, because its thin fibers of silicone within the yarn to create some grip and I have zero problems pinching hair, etc, and they dont ride up which is not good either.

Your distaste for silicone grippers is accurate, because it's been done wrong for years, but many of us (TLD included) have figured out how to give some grip, without grabbing hair.

I quit e-MTBR
    Quote Originally Posted by stiksandstones View Post
    TLD has gone through numerous liner shorts, with numerous pads (cheap china pad, to today's italian premium TMF pad) but our latest premium liner short, with the TMF carbon pad is my favorite we have made. I do not shave legs and prefer this leg cuff over years past, because its thin fibers of silicone within the yarn to create some grip and I have zero problems pinching hair, etc, and they dont ride up which is not good either.

Your distaste for silicone grippers is accurate, because it's been done wrong for years, but many of us (TLD included) have figured out how to give some grip, without grabbing hair.
    Interesting, appreciate your reply. I haven't tried the current TLD liners and will keep an eye out now.

My TLD Ruckus shorts are still my all-time favorite outer shorts -- tough, light, comfortable stretch, not soggy when wet, great fit, right length, good pockets, nice looking, you name it.

But the liners that came with them, yikes. They were so bad that, honestly, I just stopped paying attention to TLD for liners. That was a couple years ago. Glad to hear you guys righted that ship.

mtbr member
    I've been using the Zoic Premium liners for awhile now and like them. TBH most of what I've had if it was good hasn't lasted long or sucked right out the package. Fox ones fall apart, Royal and Fly both just didn't last, the cheaper ones feel like your rubbing sand on you taint and ass cause they are more foam than anything.
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb:skep:

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Without a doubt, the Assos have been the best that Iíve tried.
    https://www.assos.com/h-rallyboxer-s....jpg&color=110

Yes theyíre expensive but they last for quite some time. Iíve used TLD, Zoic, AStars, Fox....the Assos are significantly better

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Interesting, appreciate your reply. I haven't tried the current TLD liners and will keep an eye out now.

My TLD Ruckus shorts are still my all-time favorite outer shorts -- tough, light, comfortable stretch, not soggy when wet, great fit, right length, good pockets, nice looking, you name it.

But the liners that came with them, yikes. They were so bad that, honestly, I just stopped paying attention to TLD for liners. That was a couple years ago. Glad to hear you guys righted that ship.
    Yeah, we were liner challenged in the past, but, those days are behind us-strangely enough, plenty of people raved about them-but I am quite a chamois snob and I am happy with the latest models from Italy with TMF. Thanks man!

Keep on Rockin...
    This doesn't fit the OP's desires, but my favorites are the Club Ride Woodchuck liner.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by stiksandstones View Post

I literally just got a new set of TLD Skyline Race shorts with chamois and after going on one ride Iíve just thrown the liner in the bin, absolutely rubbish! This mustnít be the new one Iím guessing?

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    I like the Polaris Pro Liner, it has a great chamois pad and has awesome ventilation.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I am not a guy, but I went through a bunch on liners as well. From what I tried I like the FOX ones. Only have been able to find them with the shorts. They donít have the leg gripper stuff.

I quit e-MTBR
    Quote Originally Posted by abaughman View Post
    I am not a guy, but I went through a bunch on liners as well. From what I tried I like the FOX ones. Only have been able to find them with the shorts. They donít have the leg gripper stuff.
    My wife has a few different nice ones, and the ones she likes best are the Yeti Ruby liners.

I quit e-MTBR
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post

Thanks for this suggestion, I picked up a pair of these on sale and like them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Thanks for this suggestion, I picked up a pair of these on sale and like them.
    Likewise, bought 2 pair. They're perfect.