People wear belts? I am skinny.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

People wear belts? I am skinny.

Might be a dumb questions, but whatever.

OK, so I bought a pair of mountain biking shorts, a lot lighter than what I have. Should be good. BUT, I am wicked skinny, and the shorts seem a bit too big, well they are too big in the waste. I can't seem to find any shorts that fit me well just cuz I am so skinny.

Do people wear belts when mountain biking? Any negative to it that I should know of? Prior to this I usually wore basketball shorts that had a draw string.

If belts are a go, then is there any kind that is better? Or just any old belt? I got leather and also the fabric loop kind versus the holes in the belt.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I was recommended to use a narrow nylon belt from someone.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    An elastic belt might be a good idea if you find a regular belt hinders breathing too much. Or consider a set of suspenders under your shirt/jersey to hold the shorts. I use that on my cold weather tights as they tend to creep down while standing and climbing, so the suspenders keep them up and don't hinder deep breathing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    I use a simple adjustable nylon belt for the shorts that are a little to big for me now that I lost some weight. It works and it is lightweight.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    From the pop-up ads on this very page...

Karma All-Mountain Shorts
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    LOL, I got adds turned off, but these look cool. Tempting. I spent $50 on mine and can return them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I dropped a few pant sizes this season and have been wearing a belt with my shorts. I havent had a problem. I do wear lycra style shorts under baggy shorts I wear. I keep it loose enough to move around, but tight enough to stay up... if that makes sense. FWIW its a 5 dollar cloth dickies belt from walmart.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    what is fwiw?

mtbr member
    For What It's Worth

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by monopolybag View Post

OK, so I bought a pair of mountain biking shorts, a lot lighter than what I have. Should be good. BUT, I am wicked skinny, and the shorts seem a bit too big, well they are too big in the waste. I can't seem to find any shorts that fit me well just cuz I am so skinny.

Do people wear belts when mountain biking? Any negative to it that I should know of? Prior to this I usually wore basketball shorts that had a draw string.

If belts are a go, then is there any kind that is better? Or just any old belt? I got leather and also the fabric loop kind versus the holes in the belt.
    Why not exchange it for one that's a size (or two) smaller?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I have been wearing a belt this year. I have dropped a couple pant sizes and just can't afford new short so out came the belt. I haven't felt any ill effects from it at all. It's even a medium leather belt that I was a little concerned about using but all seems good.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tracke30m3 View Post
    Why not exchange it for one that's a size (or two) smaller?
    Because it is hard to find shorts that are long enough being so skinny.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I wear a nylon belt with a metal buckle (often referred to as an "instructor" belt) when I ride. It's a bit on the heavy and stiffer side, but it supports a phone and firearm well, not to mention holding up the pants.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Use suspenders.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I use Wilderness products frequent flyer belts:
    Frequent Flyer Belt: Tactical Gear, Tactical Equipment, Duty Belts, Slings, USA

No idea what your price range might be but they are a great belt though maybe a little stiff for your application. Toting around 3lbs of firearm hardware all day and it takes the abuse like a champ. There is no way mountain biking is gonna hurt it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    i have an el-cheapo cloth belt with 2 D-rings.

it holds my shorts up while riding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I have a pair of Pearl Izumi MTBR shorts - liner and shorts in one - and they have belt loops. I can only assume they meant for someone to wear a belt with them...

I would go with a nylon belt, too, or just exchange what you have for a size smaller if possible.

Otherwise, try it out and see if it feels uncomfortable.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    If you don't like the feeling or what ever belt use small rope or shoe lace and just tie it up like skaters do works good if you tie it right

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by OP4guy View Post
    I use Wilderness products frequent flyer belts:
    Frequent Flyer Belt: Tactical Gear, Tactical Equipment, Duty Belts, Slings, USA

No idea what your price range might be but they are a great belt though maybe a little stiff for your application. Toting around 3lbs of firearm hardware all day and it takes the abuse like a champ. There is no way mountain biking is gonna hurt it.
    This stuff looks cool and useful. Thanks!

Old-newbie
    I typically wear a belt. The best one that I have found so far is the one that came with the Endura Humvee shorts. They make a 3/4 version of those shorts if you want them to reach below the knees.

gerG
    ...uphill uphill uphill DOWNHILL! uphill uphill uphill uphill DOWNHILL! uphill ...

DaFaJa
    I use a Dickies Leather double hole belt..
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 Carbon /Sid W/C XX / Fox CTD RP / xx1 / xo type2 / Stans Flows
    Tampa FL USA

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Check out the "outlaw bullet" shorts...has a built-in belt thingey.

Men's Mountain bike shorts, Loose casual fit baggy cycling short for mtb biking and bicycle touring
    whatever...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I actually had to fold over the waist band of mine to tighen them up a little because I had the adjustable velcro at max and no belt loops. Nothing wrong with a belt, you don't want the crotch of your shorts to get caught on your seat when you need to get behind it on a downhill section.

FWIW
    Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth 1967 - YouTube

meow meow
    Because it is hard to find shorts that are long enough being so skinny.
    ive found inseam lengths to stay pretty consistant among waist size, it varies by maybe 1'' from small to large.

Wrench

Or,

mtbr member
    Bib shorts exist for a reason. No issues with belts and way more comfortable for us skinny tall guys.
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

mtbr member
    What waist size and inseam measurements are you after?
    I make mountain bike bib shorts, so this information would help my market research. Our 28" waist baggy short currently has a 12.75" inseam.

I'm really not a fan of wearing a belt on the bike as I find they can be inflexible or can dig into my gut, so baggies suspended from bibs for me, but +1 on suspenders or bibs in general.
    "...DirtBaggies may also be the best baggy mountain bike shorts on the market." Velonews - Click to check out other reviews.

Members who have read this thread: 5