pedals and shoes.....i need help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005

pedals and shoes.....i need help

I have never rode clipless at all and am thinking of trying it out.

Here is my situation....MY MTB has platforms on it adn i just aquired a older model road bike that needs pedal.

My question is can i run mtb pedals on both bikes and run one set of shoes?

Do i need different shoes / pedals for road biking vs mtbing? I dont realy see the benefit...

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    You certainly can use mtb pedals and shoes for a road bike. It would probably be more practical for you since most mtb shoes are pretty decent to walk in. I wouldn't recommend using road pedals and shoes on the mtb. Road shoes are no good for walking.

Apr 2008
    Sure.. you can run MTB pedals on your road bike and use the MTB shoes as well. You just wouldn't want to use road shoes or pedals on your MTB.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    great....

now does anyone have any recommendations or should i just go for somthing that is reasonably priced with high marks for reviews?

i currently have one of my bikes that has Exus Platform pedals but ive never tried the cleats as ive never had the shoes. IS this style cleat universal to other mtb pedal / shoes. Heck i could get 2 more sets of pedals and 1 set of shoes and be able to use them on all 3 bikes....

AKA Dr.Nob
    Pedal Recommendation: Shimano's

Shoe Recommendation: Whatever you like (they are shoes after all).
    Not that all teenagers are evil mind, just most of them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    i think ill head out and have a look at those platform / clipless shimano 324s. they got pretty good reviews and gives me the option to run without the shoes as well.

EXORCIZE
    Quote Originally Posted by scale
    i think ill head out and have a look at those platform / clipless shimano 324s. they got pretty good reviews and gives me the option to run without the shoes as well.
    I like the Shimano 520 for a budget pedal. I ran a couple cheaper Shimano pedals and they fell apart. Anything 520 or higher is extremely durable. But maybe the lower level models are better now. As for shoe brands, I think Shimano and Specialized are good values, or spring for Lake MX 165. Btw, your shoes should be snug. Don't be afraid to wear a size smaller than you think you would, especially since they tend to stretch. If you don't wear bike-specific socks, they're very thin, so you can go with those if you end up with shoes you think are too snug.

Token Hillbilly
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryder1
    I like the Shimano 520 for a budget pedal. I ran a couple cheaper Shimano pedals and they fell apart. Anything 520 or higher is extremely durable. But maybe the lower level models are better now. As for shoe brands, I think Shimano and Specialized are good values, or spring for Lake MX 165. Btw, your shoes should be snug. Don't be afraid to wear a size smaller than you think you would, especially since they tend to stretch. If you don't wear bike-specific socks, they're very thin, so you can go with those if you end up with shoes you think are too snug.
    My LBS recommended the 520's to me as a good beginner set. I will be getting my first real bike in a couple of weeks (a GF Marlin), and I will probably have a set of these thrown on as well.

So am I right in assuming that the Lake MX 165's are compatible with the cleat for the 520's then? Hope this question doesn't sound too ignorant, but I was looking into this earlier today and wasn't sure if the shoes had a different bolt pattern for different brands of cleats, or if there was a standard bolt pattern that most (if not all) cleats adhered to. The reason I ask is I like the look of the MX 165's, and they seemed to get a decent review overall.

Sorry for a near hijacking, but it seemed to fit the category, and didn't want to create another post to cover the same basic topic.

AKA Dr.Nob
    A couple of things:

J, MTB cleats have 2 bolts (generally called SPD). All mtb shoes (and a lot of road shoes) fit SPD cleats.

Scale: I wouldn't get those platform/clipless hybrids for a couple of reasons.

1/ They offer a way out. You ride the clipless side until you get to some rough stuff then turn the pedal over. By doing this you will never learn to use clipless pedals so you can gain the major benefits of clipless.

2/ By doing the above is more dangerous than riding the same terrain on platforms with good flat shoes. Stiff soled MTB shoes are not designed to be used with platforms and will be far more likely to slip off at the worst moment.

Look at the 520's
    Not that all teenagers are evil mind, just most of them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    nope thats fine....

Apr 2008
    I went to the LBS that sells Shimano and then to the LBS that sells Specialized. I ended up going with a pair of Specialized that cost around $95. Go with whatever makes you happy. Just make sure that they have a snug fit. Also whatever you do, don't buy your shoes online. The sizes don't match up. I normally wear a size 10 1/2 and ended up getting size 12 in the MTB shoe.

Members who have read this thread: 0