Which pedals and shoes?- Mtbr.com
    Cannondale Snob

Which pedals and shoes?

I bought a Cannondale Rush off E-Bay without pedals, so I need to have some ready for when it arrives.

I've decided to go clipless and want to know what you'd advise? (This will be my first time going clipless)

Crank Brothers Candy SL or Crank Brothers Egg Beaters SL.

What are the pros and cons of the semi-platform 2-sided pedals vs the 4-sided pedals? I've heard that you'll come unclipped when you hit rocks with the Egg Beaters...?

I'll probably be doing some XC racing with the bike as well, so I don't want anything to heavy. Both of those pedals are close in weight and price.

Also, I've no idea what shoe to get, pros and cons, etc. I'll probably buy them at a store but would still like some opinions from people who do all-mountain riding as to why you picked yours...

never ender
    The cage on most clipless/platform combos isn't very useful IMO...it takes a pretty big platform, like the ones on Shimano DH pedals, to provide real support while you're clipped in, and if you clip out enough to really need the platform, you should just buy regular platforms.

That said, Eggbeaters are great. I know plenty of people who have started with Eggbeaters as their first clipless, and it seems like the learning curve is easier than with SPDs. I've tried Times and am currently riding SPDs, but Eggbeaters are the easiest to clip out of in a crash. You can come unclipped from bashing the pedal on a rock, but it's easy enough to avoid once you get the hang of it.

As to shoes, I'm a big fan of Specialized, but I know that other people hate them. Shoes are something you really have to try out before you buy. When I ride with BMX pedals I wear Etnies skate shoes because they fit me very well, but they don't have the best tread pattern.

mtbr member

well

I've ridden spd's, times, and eggbeaters.....and i am still today riding my original pair of eggbeaters that have gone on for years. SPD's were ok, times were much better...but i had trouble getting out of times sometimes during a yardsale. The eggbeaters have been perfect all around. They never get clogged, easy in and out, and i don't think about coming out if i am going down.

As far as shoes go i have tried just about everything out there. I finally got some dominator's by Sidi and will never ride anythign else (went out and got the sidi's for my road bike as well) Sidi's not only fit the best, but they are super comfortable and last forever...not to mention the best performance.

Just my $.02
    The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan

squish is good
    For shoes, consider the Specialized Body Geometry mountain shoes. They are the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned and came in reasonably priced. If you haven't ridden clipless before keep in mind that most shoes have a solid sole. I don't mean stiffer than normal, I mean like a board, which means hike a bikes are pretty rough compared to regular shoes. If I'm gonna be riding really technical uphill stuff I have a set of more casual shoes that can fit a cleat and flex a bit more so when I need to get off and push, its alot easier.

Cannondale Snob
    I went to my LBS and they talked me into a set of Speedplay "the frog" pedal system in Chromoly and a pair of Specialized Sport MTB shoes.

The kid who I talked to brought his bike into the shop from out back and showed me how easily the pedals and shoes work- he rides the exact same combo, after having ridden SPDs, Egg-beaters, etc. He said he'd once broken the body of a Frog and Speedplay replaced the pedal free with no hassle.

I'll update this thread when I get to try them out.
    Last edited by RiskEverything; 03-02-2007 at 08:01 PM.

mtbr member

ok

I have never used the frog's, although i ride the speedplay zero's on my road bike and they are amazing. Def a lot of float which is good for the knees..good luck
    The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan

mtbr member
    eggz 4 life

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Went from SPD's to Mallets, then to Time Z's last night. I like the fact that the SPD's had a pretty definitive click when you clicked in, the Mallets didn't have that click as much. I am running Specialized Comp shoes, and with the Mallets, I had to grind away part of the tread on the shoes, as that was interferring w/ the cage on the Mallets, making it pretty tough to clip in. So after grining down the shoes and adding a small Hope rotor washer beneath the cleats, it was a lot easier to clip in. But I still wasn't impressed. So I picked up some Time Z's and I think I found a winner. Compared to the Mallets, the Z seems to have a wider area (per say) for the cleat to clip into, so you don't have to be precise as the Mallets when clipping it. Granted, I haven't been on the trail w/ the Zs yet.

That's my experience anyway

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    For past 3 years I used to ride same combo as MattP - Spec Comp shoes with Time Z Control pedals and loved it. Switching to flat pedals recently has made me realise of certain downsides of being clipped-in, but if I'd go looking for clipped-in system again, I'd pick Time Z's for AM riding any time !

mtbr member
    If I were going to buy new shoes and pedals I'd probablly give the Specialized trail 110s a try along with the CB Acid pedals.

I currently have the CB candies, They are great pedals, but the pedal body is made of some sort of plastic and dosen't seem to take the abuse of banging off rocks that well. The acids have the same basic design, except that the pedal body is made of aluminum.

Cameron
    Go Big or Go Home

Members who have read this thread: 0