pedals and shoes- Mtbr.com

Feb 2004

pedals and shoes

Hi, lately my feet have been slipping off my pedals in the rain so i think its time i get better pedals and maybe shoes. I have wellgo platform pedals with nonreplaceable pins and vans graph shoes. the shoes do not have the popular honey comb pattern that most do. should i get new pedals, new shoes or both. if so what pedals or shoes should i get. i looked at the bmw shin burgers but they r exspensive and look a little dangerous without shingaurds. all comments are welcome. thanks, Kevin

bah!
    Azonic a-frame pedals are nice, have replacable pins, and look nice too. They are a bit pricey though for platforms.

Jan 2004
    take a look at the Axiom RoadGap pedals (if in Canada), a cheaper US equivalent is the Wellgo B-27s. The Axioms have a lifetime warranty and really good after-sales service (Axiom is part of Norco).

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin
    Hi, lately my feet have been slipping off my pedals in the rain so i think its time i get better pedals and maybe shoes. I have wellgo platform pedals with nonreplaceable pins and vans graph shoes. the shoes do not have the popular honey comb pattern that most do. should i get new pedals, new shoes or both. if so what pedals or shoes should i get. i looked at the bmw shin burgers but they r exspensive and look a little dangerous without shingaurds. all comments are welcome. thanks, Kevin
    Look for some pedal from FUNN. These have extra pins, and a small section of "grip tape." About $70 bucks.

I have been running the Easton pedals for awhile and love them- other than losing the occasional pin they are the best I have ever used.

As for shoes- Oakley Switchbacks seem to work the best for me. They are durable, and super tacky.

/just my two cents...

mtbr member

Check out my post re: the $250 shoes.

Dude -

You have to get the $280 Sidi Dragons. Check out the posts, they will last 5 years, make you look like a real mountain biker, you will be one of the cool guys too. Anything less than that and you will be wasting your money, or will hurt your feet.

As for the pedals, just look for the most expensive ones you can find and buy them. E-mail Fonseca and find out what he has.

BJ-

Jan 2004

lemmie think...

lemmie think...shoes would be the biggest poblem id say...i used to ride with indoor soccer shoes and i was wonderin why my feet kept slippin off...so make sure the shoes have flexible and soft soles or even just holes for the pins...honeycomb pattern vans would be awesome for this...as for pedals there all real expenisve over here in aus so i couldnt help u but if u want the best then go for atomlab trail kings or shimano DX flats...

Apr 2004
    Azonic A frames and any old vans. I use nike high tops as well. If you go with platforms you definitely need shin guards.

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin
    truvativ holzfellers + any shoes = super tacky combination

the truvativ holzfellers are a very sticky pedal. replaceable pins, slight concave holds your foot like a glove, but still easy enough to reposition feet while riding. you can't go wrong with these. very strong also, mine have been smacked on several rocks in their time and no breakage yet.....
    Last edited by .WestCoastHucker.; 05-03-2004 at 09:35 AM.

Apr 2004

Second Truvative Pedals

Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    truvativ holzfellers + any shoes = super tacky combination

the truvativ holzfellers are a very sticky pedal. replaceable pins, slight concave holds your foot like a glove, but still easy enough to reposition feet while riding. you can't go wrong with these. very strong also, mine have been smacked on several rocks in their time and no breakage yet.....
    I second that -- I just bought a pair of the Truvativs and they are they grippiest flats ever. They even hook up strong with birkenstocks

Also the nicest craftmanship I've ever seen on a flat pedal. Cool thing about the pins is they are smaller (diameter) than most others (I've been riding Shimano XC and Older GT platforms) so hook into the shoe more and the pins are replaceable from the other side of the pedal (so you don't smash the allen-heads like others)

Only downside is that the pedal is almost flush with the crank arm (very cool look) and requires allen install/removal from inside crank hole.

-- Anton

Jan 2004

Odessy Tripple trap

They only cost $20. They are nice and wide. You can sharpen then up razorblade sharp. I have the Brooklen Machine Works pedals right no. They are nothing compared to sharped tripple traps. You could grind meat on them. I have the shin punctor marks to proof it.