Pedal and shoes. Can they mate?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Pedal and shoes. Can they mate?

Been using eggbeaters for a while and will keep on using it. Just thinking of buying a new All Mountain bike (SC Heckler) and thinking of putting something bigger under the feet. The pedals are going to be the CrankBrothers Candy or Mallet, both are those with platforms.

For the shoe department, I'm also going to buy something that I can REALLY hike with, not those racer type carbon shoes. So it's going to be : SixSixOne, Oakley or Shimano.

Have anyone tried using these brands of shoes with the Candy or Mallet pedals? Do they fit? Cause I know that some shoes with eggbeater requires you to trim your shoes.

P.S. We have discussion sections for everything on the bike, except pedal and clothings! This makes people confused when they want to know something about these things!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    The hike-able shoes (look at the Lakes with Vibram soles) work fine with Crank Bro. pedals. I have never needed to trim the soles of any of my shoes. Shims under the cleat does the job better and more easily.

You will notice little, if any difference, under your foot between the 'Beater and Candy. Go straight to the Mallet if you want more support.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Your bike is incorrigible

recommendation for 661

Depending on what you mean by "hike", I would recommend the 661 Launch shoes. I've been using them with my mallets for two seasons. The Launch is not really a hiking shoe--more like a skate shoe--but I have walked quite a ways in them. That is, I have lugged my bike up some seriously nasty sections of trail, with rocks and loose stuff. The shoes were amazingly sticky, not what you would expect from a flat sole. So, if you want something that is comfortable and that you can walk in for a mile or so, then go with the Launch. If you want something that is more of a hiking shoe, then go with the Lakes like Shiggy said. But you will probably need to carve away some of the tread. Heck, even with flat soles I have to use a spacer beneath the cleat to get it high enough to engage.

Quote Originally Posted by Guyechka
    ...If you want something that is more of a hiking shoe, then go with the Lakes like Shiggy said. But you will probably need to carve away some of the tread. Heck, even with flat soles I have to use a spacer beneath the cleat to get it high enough to engage.
    You only need the spacers. I use the Lakes and an older adidas high top, both with deep aggressive hiking treads, on Mallets with the tall grip plates. No trimming required.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest Lam
    Been using eggbeaters for a while and will keep on using it. Just thinking of buying a new All Mountain bike (SC Heckler) and thinking of putting something bigger under the feet. The pedals are going to be the CrankBrothers Candy or Mallet, both are those with platforms.

For the shoe department, I'm also going to buy something that I can REALLY hike with, not those racer type carbon shoes. So it's going to be : SixSixOne, Oakley or Shimano.

Have anyone tried using these brands of shoes with the Candy or Mallet pedals? Do they fit? Cause I know that some shoes with eggbeater requires you to trim your shoes.

P.S. We have discussion sections for everything on the bike, except pedal and clothings! This makes people confused when they want to know something about these things!

Wow! thanks everyone for their fast respond!!

Seems the 661 is the way to go. But, does the cleat ever touches the ground if you're walking on pavement? Course maybe sometime I'm going to use the shoes for some BMX outings with my friends, maybe I can ride my BMX also with my friends in town?

Quote Originally Posted by Ernest Lam
    Wow! thanks everyone for their fast respond!!

Seems the 661 is the way to go. But, does the cleat ever touches the ground if you're walking on pavement? Course maybe sometime I'm going to use the shoes for some BMX outings with my friends, maybe I can ride my BMX also with my friends in town?
    Any shoe/cleat combo will be heard in rocks and pavement from time to time.

I find most clipless shoes to be too stiff for good grip on a platform pedal no matter the sole tread. A cleat in the middle just makes it worse. Not a big deal for casual riding.
    mtbtires.com

Duck Fonald

Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    The hike-able shoes (look at the Lakes with Vibram soles) work fine with Crank Bro. pedals. I have never needed to trim the soles of any of my shoes. Shims under the cleat does the job better and more easily.

You will notice little, if any difference, under your foot between the 'Beater and Candy. Go straight to the Mallet if you want more support.
    There are Lake versions with Vibram soles? Sounds like a good shoe, all around.

Who sells Lake?

Thanks,

fp
    tRump is SCUM.

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

mtbtires.com

Your bike is incorrigible

one other thing

My GF has a pair of Lakes, and they are about five times a stiff as my 661s. That's great for riding, but not so great for hiking. It comes down to a compromise: do you want some comfy shoes that pedal ok and you can walk around in (even though they are technically skate shoes), or do you want a stiffer shoe with a hiking specific sole?

About scraping the cleat. You are going to scrape any cleat in any shoe no matter what. The difference is that CB cleats are made of softer material (brass?) than most other manufacturers. They will wear more quickly if you are going to really hike in them for long distances. Still, I have been hike-a-biking over rocky terrain for two seasons and am still on the same cleats (although I might look into a new pair this spring).

Duck Fonald

Oooh.

*drool*

And only $65 smackers.

Thanks,

fp
    tRump is SCUM.

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

Members who have read this thread: 0