Pearl Izumi X-Alp Seek III Shoes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006

New question here. Pearl Izumi X-Alp Seek III Shoes

Hi Folks,

Are any of you using the Pearl Izumi X-Alp Seek III shoes?

If so, are they as light as advertised (355g/shoe, size 43)?

Are they sufficiently wide and roomy enough for orthotics.

I am looking for a light weight and roomy shoe for using with non-clipless pedals and PowerGrips.

Thanks in advance, Michael
    Cusco Travel Services
    Cusco Travel Services on Facebook
    Servicios de Ciclismo del Perú

Cereal Killer
    I have these and they are just right for me. Regular sized Bontrager, Sidi, and Shimano shoes were always just a shade too narrow for me. The X-Alp Seek is not as wide as a "Wide" sized shoe, but fill that inbetween area. Orthotics should fit perfect in them. As far as how light they are, I'm not sure. I just know that they're the right shoe for me, and am thankful they're not really expensive.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Ditto on Chad's comments.

I have a pair and love them. They do seem reasonably light, and the recessed cleat works pretty darn well. I assume you're wearing clipless pedals, as the rubber is a bit too hard to work well with platforms.

mtbr member
    I have wide feet. Tried these on at REI the other day and they felt good. Not too narrow like most other cycling shoes. Zappos has them for $77.75 right now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

Quote Originally Posted by gmtx77
    I have wide feet. Tried these on at REI the other day and they felt good. Not too narrow like most other cycling shoes. Zappos has them for $77.75 right now.
    However that's not the shoe I enquired about which is listed at $114.00 on Zappos whilst on the Pearl Izumi site they are listed as $110.00.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbvfr
    However that's not the shoe I enquired about which is listed at $114.00 on Zappos whilst on the Pearl Izumi site they are listed as $110.00.
    All the same basic shoe with upper variations.

No way I would use it with Powergrips, though. Wrong type of sole. I would want a sole without the SPD plate and less aggressive edge tread.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

wannabee
    I've used this style shoe for three years and really like them. They run a little small. Plenty wide. Great shoe IMO. Don't use any type of insert.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    All the same basic shoe with upper variations.

No way I would use it with Powergrips, though. Wrong type of sole. I would want a sole without the SPD plate and less aggressive edge tread.
    Hi Shiggy,

The shoes I currently have are the Lake MX165 Wide. They weigh 500 g each with the spd metal plate removed and the tread pattern, although not deep, doesn't allow easy entry.

Any suggestions for a sub 400 g shoe?

Thanks, Michael.

Hi Shiggy,

The shoes I currently have are the Lake MX165 Wide. They weigh 500 g each with the spd metal plate removed and the tread pattern, although not deep, doesn't allow easy entry.

Any suggestions for a sub 400 g shoe?

Thanks, Michael.
    I never look at shoe weights and do not care. Fit and function trumps weight in shoes.

The Alps sole is at least as aggressive as the Lakes you have. Look at shoes that are not designed for clipless pedals.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    I never look at shoe weights and do not care. Fit and function trumps weight in shoes.

The Alps sole is at least as aggressive as the Lakes you have. Look at shoes that are not designed for clipless pedals.
    When you have 1000 or more metres to climb, over 20 to 30 kms distance, starting at a base of 2900 m then losing 200 to 300 grams, total, in the shoes will significantly reduce the rotating mass and hence effort to get up these types of ascents.

The soles of the Northwaves seem friendlier.

Does anyone have experience with the Mission, City Cruiser or Rocker made by Northwave?

Nat
    mtbr member
    When you have 1000 or more metres to climb, over 20 to 30 kms distance, starting at a base of 2900 m then losing 200 to 300 grams, total, in the shoes will significantly reduce the rotating mass and hence effort to get up these types of ascents.
    ...and a single blister in the wrong place will mess up all of that. Fit and function trumps weight.

Regardless, I've had two pairs of Pearls and they are the lightest and best-working shoes I've had. My orthotics do fit in them. Keep in mind you may be able to modify an orthotic to fit the shoe.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The soles of the Northwaves seem friendlier.

Does anyone have experience with the Mission, City Cruiser or Rocker made by Northwave?
    Been there, do not care. I go for comfort and function. Poor fitting, less than functional shoes = a VERY bad day.
    mtbtires.com

Members who have read this thread: 0