Pearl Izumi X-Alp Launch vs. Mavic Crossmax Shoes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Pearl Izumi X-Alp Launch vs. Mavic Crossmax Shoes

Rode flat pedals with Teva Pivots for the first couple years after I started riding.

Then I ncorporated Crank Bros. Mallet DH pedals with clipless Teva Pivots. I like the combo of the wide pedal body with the clipless efficiency.

I'm now looking for something with more pedal platform (stiffness for pedaling efficiency) while still maintaining good hikeability, as I fairly often find myself hike-a-biking up steep sections of technical singletrack that I can't clean just yet.

Pearl Izumi X-Alp Launch seem like a solid compromise. And so do the Crossmax from Mavic. Please chime in with real world experience if you've tried either or both.

Not considering Giro Terroduros as I've read many complaints re: durability, specifically the sole splitting and separating from the lowers.

If there are any other contenders that you feel I should know about, by all means, mention them.

Not really interested in brands' lower end offerings. When it comes to something like shoes, I'd prefer to invest in the highest degree of comfort, durability, and performance for the intended purpose.

Also, if either the X-Alp Launch or Crossmax don't play nice with the Mallet DH pedal, I'd appreciate a heads up.

Thanks all!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I've been riding with a pair of the Pearl Izumi X-Alp shoes. They are a tiny bit tight around the toes. I still ride with them, but I'm looking for a new pair and will use the X-Alps for backups...