Parents and helmets- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Parents and helmets

Well I went out to Northumberland forest today for a quick ride. More then usual out there to ride. Its not overly exciting but it is close. Well in comes a couple with their son. Unload the bikes and set out for a ride. I heard something about a helmet but never paid much attention. Well the kid didn;t want to wear his because they didn't have theres on. They made him put it on and off the three of them go. No helmets on the parents. I am sorry but it doesn;t take much of a spill to have a head injury. I hit a hidden stump and over the handle bars I went. It can happen as easy as that. All I ended up with was a banged up knee but I am sure it could have been worse. When are parents going to learn and lead by example. Wear a helmet you never know. They aren't that bad. I stopped riding a bike many yrs ago because I didn't want to wear a helmet. Boy I sure missed alot in all thise yrs and I sure don;t have a problem wearing one now. If everybody has one then everybody feels equal and kids wouldn't feel so embarrassed to wear one. Please Mom and Dad set an example either on the road or in the woods.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I agree with you 100%. I saw the same thing yesterday in Durham Forest. A dad with
    two kids with helmets on and no helmet on the dad.

Today while we were out one of our riders when over the bars while going over a log and he
    hit hard. His helmet vents were full of dirt where he hit. He was a little dazed but without
    the helmet on it would have been much worse. He is an experienced rider and it happened in an instant.

Hopefully those that don't wear a helmet, don't learn the hard way why they should
    have one on.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Agree 100%

when I'm out with my kids, even if we are doing the most ridiculus riding ever, my helmet is on.

Parenting by example. I bet they jump on the bed infront of him too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Biobanker
    Agree 100%

when I'm out with my kids, even if we are doing the most ridiculus riding ever, my helmet is on.

Parenting by example. I bet they jump on the bed infront of him too.
    agreed. My son just started riding a bike and seeing parents without helmets is a pet peeve of mine. I always put mine on even if it is just a quick ride around the block.

mtbr member
    BAH! Parents don't need helmets! They're the smart ones of the family, remember??!?!

Disclaimer/warning: this post may contain something(s) called humor and/or sarcasm. Viewer discretion is advised.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies. :D

Lemmy Rules!
    Agreed 100%. How can I expect my 3-year-old to wear his helmet when he sees me not wearing mine?

And besides, if I crash, and hurt myself seriously b/c I am not wearing a helmet, how is that fair to my little guy?
    Strava made me do it....

sock puppet
    and if you crash without the helmet, you can't sue the helmet manufacturer for designing a poor helmet.

Kidding aside, for the first year or so, when I immigrated from Europe, I wasn't wearing a helmet at all. Kelso included. Just a cultural thing, nothing else...

Didn't have to learn the hard way - luckily - and got a helmet or two eventually...

I have to admit that when going around the block with my son, I don't wear a helmet. However, I am making a public pledge that this will change, just to avoid the wrath of MTBR be put upon me... And to reinforce the habit with my kid... And maybe to protect my noggin.

IMBA-GORBA Bike Patrol

feel naked without

Oggie thanks for seeing the light and not wanting the MTBR wrath to flog you. I also agree 100% that everyone young, old, novice and expert alike must wear a helmet when on a bike be it road or mountain.
    I make it a point NOT to ride with anyone not wearing a helmet and do my best to make them feel the idiot for not wearing one.
    To all you that do set the example feel free to tell thus that don't to get a helmet on.
    ENJOY LIFE RIDE A BIKE
    Blur XC black
    Chameleon gray
    Nomad Black
    V10 black
    True North 853

I dd what you see there.
    I've never been known by anyone as mr. sensitivity, so I'm all for people not wearing helmets or seatbelts etc etc. It's their choice.

However, I'm only for it as long as the rest of the world doesn't have to hear about it or pay for it in any way after they come out on the losing end of an accident. It's not like there isn't new information published every 3 days on the benefits of such protective equipment even in minor accidents. So as far as I'm concerned, they made the choice to gamble so they can live with the consequences of being a vegetable for the rest of their lives while I'll continue to wear mine.

Out there
    Aug 2006
    People are free to ride without helmets, but they're not riding with me. I carry a spare in my bag just in case. If they don't want to wear it they can ride alone.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

mtbr member
    No helmet = natural selection

I can't get over the number of people riding Kelso with no helmets. I don't make comments in passing, but a conersation is struck up, I usually say something like "Where's you helmet?". It's their choice, even if it's a dumb one.
    I love riding my bike!

mtbr member
    Like Oggie, I rode my mountain bike without a helmet for years (mostly in Montreal, Bromont). I also did a ton of in-line skating with no helmet. I still downhill ski (40-50 days per year) without a helmet, but I can see the day when they will make me wear one.

I tend to agree that parents have to lead by example, but I cannot help but think about our generation growing up without all the safety which is being push on everyone today. Yes, safety is important, but too many kids (especially skiers) think they are invincible with a helmet, even when they suck as skiers.

While I now wear a helmet on any ride, I try not to think of it as safety equipment. I still want to think of my skills and my awareness of my limitations as my safety net.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

Steady Creepin'
    I agree with the "natural selection" comment. Personally if someone wants to go helmet-less and crack their skull I can't say I care too much, unfortunately whenever that happens it always brings bad press and talk of trail closures.

mtbr member
    My daughter won't even throw a leg over her seat without a helmet on. She is three and always tells me to get her helmet in case she wants to ride her bike. She never sees daddy ride without his helmet (because he doesn't).

Speaking of helmets, it's time for a new one. I took a spill on Bent Rim at Hilton a few days ago that really rang my bell. There is a small dent in the side of the helmet. Thank You Helmet

Kidding myself...
    It wasn't that long ago when according to Ontario Law, bicycle helmets were mandatory for adults and children. Then, thanks to Mike Harris and his 'Common Sense Revolution', the law was changed making it only mandatory for children. In keeping with the natuiral selection theme, maybe wearing helmets should only be optional for polititions!
    I started wearing a Bell Biker helmet in 1983. It was heavy polycarbonate dome. I was definitely an oddity then!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race." ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    My boys (twin 3 year olds) always comment when they see someone without a helmet.

Boy 1 - "Daddy, look at that bike!"
    Boy 2 - "He DOESN'T have a HELMET"

sock puppet
    and then Boy 1 says "I saw him first" to which Boy 2 responds "No you didn't, I did" and within 3 seconds we have a UFC 147 between the kids and daddy has to step in with authority...

Close?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    and then Boy 1 says "I saw him first" to which Boy 2 responds "No you didn't, I did" and within 3 seconds we have a UFC 147 between the kids and daddy has to step in with authority...

Close?
    So true

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Having crashed numerous times ski race training as well as racing. My kid will always wear a helmet when riding a bike.

Having been from the ski race era of the Crazy Canucks when helmets where only worn for DH. Have been knocked out to many times from crashes at 80kmh. It's an eerie feeling as you feel your brain move a little during a crash.

And I don't want my kid to experience those memory blank spots that those cause as well.

sock puppet
    ummm, that explains few things about you now... I forgive you everything... I realize it was beyond your control.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    ummm, that explains few things about you now... I forgive you everything... I realize it was beyond your control.
    Well, it does help when dealing with whiny unitard wearing 24 hr solo riders at 3am.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Spork
    My daughter won't even throw a leg over her seat without a helmet on. She is three and always tells me to get her helmet in case she wants to ride her bike. She never sees daddy ride without his helmet (because he doesn't).
    My daughter is the same way. I totally agree, parents need to lead by example.

I've run in to a few people lately that don't wear helmets. I have forwarded them this thread and they usually end up buying a helmet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Some what off topic for a moment but talking safety, The other day I watched a kid trying to skateboard down the street with a knapsack almost as big as him texting. All it would take is one slip up. I think it would have been faster for him to walk. Then tonight some idiot skateboarding on the main st. in the dark and we have the crappy energy efficient street lights that save hydro but don't help seeing anything or anybody and this fool was texting too. What is this world coming to when people can't give up a phone for 5 mins.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by anarawd
    It wasn't that long ago when according to Ontario Law, bicycle helmets were mandatory for adults and children. Then, thanks to Mike Harris and his 'Common Sense Revolution', the law was changed making it only mandatory for children. In keeping with the natuiral selection theme, maybe wearing helmets should only be optional for polititions!
    I started wearing a Bell Biker helmet in 1983. It was heavy polycarbonate dome. I was definitely an oddity then!
    As far as I know (and i looked for it) adults in Ontario have never had to wear a helmet by law. The original law did include adults but they were omitted before the law went into effect. The reason being that adults can make up their own mind.
    If you look on the internet you'll find lots of support for and against the helmet law. Most of those against it says that it decreases the number of cyclist and the benefits of cycling out weighs the risks even without a helmet.
    I can vouch for helmets though, I went head first into a rock when riding at Bootleg Canyon, broke the helmet but not my head!
    Friends don't let friends cheer for the TML

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    No there is no law and yes they can make there own decisions but you want to make a bet the law suit starts as soon as something happens and the big medical expense that could be prevented. I have no kids and I have to admit I was one of thise people that said "I can make my own decisions I am an adult" After joining a MTB club where everybody has to wear one then you don't even think twice about it. The fear of looking weird goes away because we all look the same and actually some of the helmets are starting to look pretty cool which will hopefully encourage more to wear them. It takes one fall and you sure thank your lucky stars that you had one on. I would sooner live life then be stuck in a hospital bed.

Out there
    Aug 2006
    You only have to ride a couple of times with someone who's spared a concussion ( = brain injury) by wearing a helmet -- or, worse, suffers a brain injury DESPITE wearing a helmet -- to become pretty convinced of their value. I've been lucky on a bike but have been spared serious injury on a snowboard by wearing a helmet.

My eldest (10 yrs) has a full-face XC helmet, the MET parachute, after he smashed his teeth on a skinny. Some of you have probably seen him at Joyride. It's really fricken' cool and we are always getting stopped and asked where folk can buy it. It's not available in North America but you can get it from Wiggle. The jaw protector removes in about 10 secs to convert it to a regular helmet. It will be my next one.

I also have a full-face for DH, but my neighbor managed to lose 30% of his cognitive ability in a DH crash despite wearing a full-face, so they hardly render you invulnerable. The worst non-DH crash I had last year was when I hit 3-Stage and forgot my XC helmet but happened to have my DH helmet in the bag. It destroyed my peripheral vision and I lost the front wheel on a dusty corner as a result -- SLAM. Took a good few minutes to get up from that one.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    That's a cool helmet. Next to my head my main worry in a wipe out is my teeth. I have knocked them out twice and I don't want to do it again. Especially at the cost of dental work.

mtbr member
    Can't you order it in? I see its distributed by Cycle Lambert.
    Friends don't let friends cheer for the TML

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Went over the bars at albion, going up a hill at speed. Cracked the helmet. That could have easily been much much worse if i wasn't wearing one.

Members who have read this thread: 0