Pants question- Mtbr.com

Thread: Pants question

mtbr member

Pants question

Hi Guys

For you riders in Northern Climates what pant would you recommend for a cool spring ride? I want to get out earlier this year but its still way too cold for shorts.

I have dri fit t shirts and long sleeved shirts with a sweater but dont know what I would want in pants. Any recomendations

Thanks

Jeremy

mtbr member
    Sugoi Midzeros work pretty good for me in 30s and up.
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

Class Clown
    What temp are we talking? I usually wear my pearl izumi bibs, a thick one for cold and a thinner one for warmer, I find the cutoff between the 2 around 40 degrees. Pretty sure they make pant versions as well.

ready to ride
    I don't live in the north but even with some snow on the ground I will wear shorts with knee high merino wool ski socks and my knee pads. If it is real cold I wear a merino wool bottom base layer. I am usually ok as long as my head, torso and extremities are warm.

That said look at Endura gear. I have a couple of pair of their Humvee shorts, a jersey, and was going to order some pants but the season has passed so I will wait. They are made in Scotland. If you have ever ridden there you will know they know cold and wet. They also seem to be quite popular with some friends in the Pacific North West. They do seem to run a bit small, so plan to size up. Unfortunately unless you are of a stocky Scot build the liners will be a bit on the large size when you size up. I usually just wear my Pearl Izumi liners unless they are all dirty. Outside of that they are great quality!

Endura - Products
    Endura - Products
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

mtbr member
    I don't know where you live but if it's not below -10 and you are mtbing, not road riding I suggest regular baggy shorts with a liner or bib shorts combined with either leg warmers, knee warmers or both. You can combine this with high wools socks and it's pretty versatile. I also wear knee pads most of the time now. Keep your knees warm.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."